Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2014, 4:12am

Post #1 of 5 (185 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

We're walking, we're walking... where to? Do tell! (and Hi, Weaver! good to see you in these parts again!)

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 17
Cumulative miles: 1433
Goal: There and Back Again!

sigh. A slow week for me, exercise-wise - lots of sitting down, sorting through stuff and working on projects. But today went better, so I hope the rest of the week will, too. As for Beamer, she's at camp again this week, so I'm punting on her mileage but I know she's doing tons of walking and hiking!

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 53
Cumulative miles: 1324
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Delrond
Rohan

Aug 1 2014, 3:55pm

Post #2 of 5 (143 views)
Shortcut
Everything is awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, not really.

Greetings to all from sunny, I mean rainy, nope - sunny again Winchestertonfieldvilleburgopolis. It's been 20 weeks since last weighing in, so here we go. I've been training hard for an 8 mile Spartan Super in Chicago this September, which has me exploring a variety of new and painful cross-fit exercises to add to my usual circuit training and jogging. I'll put a very conservative estimate of 10 miles per week to add to the Walk, so chalk up 200 miles for me. On the home front, plenty of yard work and playing basketball in the driveway with Little D keeps me active beyond the above activities. All in all, it has helped me drop some poundage so now I am right around 91 kg for the first time since before Little D was born. Yay!

Tuesday was the first day of school for Little D. I know, right? I don't care for this aspect of the "balanced" schedule, but it does give us a nice Fall Break in mid-October to take a vacation without yanking him out of school. Oh yeah, trampolines. There's a place in these parts that you can play indoor dodge ball on a matrix of trampolines. Did that last weekend with LD for an hour and my arm is still out of whack.Crazy

That's about it for now. Dirt still isn't a toy, the AE beatings continue in Words with Friends and I will still go to the ends of the earth to make Mrs. D happy. Just not Texas. AND, the BotFA Hobbit trailer was really good and I can't wait for the last movie to come out.

Happy trails,

D

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 1 2014, 4:52pm

Post #3 of 5 (135 views)
Shortcut
Hi weaver and all!! *waves enthusiastically* :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope everyone his having a peach-keen time!

I've still be running around like mad getting my house and grounds in shape for my g'daughter's visit... which starts SUNDAY!!!! :D I'm driving down to Indiana to pick her up instead of Baltimore, so it will shave a BUNCH off the normally 11-hour drive to about 3. We've got all sorts of plans, so now it's just getting others to understand we don't want to be going and doing stuff every day ;) Ahhh... the burden of popularity ;)

I hope Beamer is having big fun at Camp... and that YOU, Arandiel, are enjoying these last few weeks before school starts up. Thanks so much for keeping us on the Road. Have a great week everyone!!!

Miles covered: 31 miles
Cumulated miles: 3646
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 1 2014, 4:57pm

Post #4 of 5 (150 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo!!! and WOW! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Way to go! Congrats on the added and successful training. What a rush! And you still have time to shoot hoops with the lad. I'm VERY impressed and smiling at how much fun you're having :D Mrs. D, I'm sure, knows she has a winner standing with her!

And I hear ya on the BoFA trailer, ponder the problem with Texas, and challenge idea that dirt is not a toy ;)

*high five* Hang in there and good luck on the runs!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Iolani
Rivendell

Aug 4 2014, 7:21pm

Post #5 of 5 (144 views)
Shortcut
I know it's Monday.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I better get my mileage up before I forget! It's been a hectic couple of weeks--or whatever its' been. Here it is, as of last Saturday.

miles: 87.7
cumulative this year: 594.2
overall:2099.48
Goal: There and Back Again Group Challenge!!

Keep up the great work guys! And by the way, who was both sad/excited at the end of the Five Armies teaser trailer? I knew it was going to be good, but honestly--man! It was incredible!!SlyHeart

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

(This post was edited by Iolani on Aug 4 2014, 7:22pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.