New images from Empire Magazine!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 2 2014, 1:20am

Post #26 of 34 (417 views)
Shortcut
Is that image labeled as being in Dale? [In reply to] Can't Post

From the picture alone, I can't tell if Gandalf and the crowd are in Dale or near the ruin of Lake-town. The mob could be holding weapons because they are fearful of the Elves' approach.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 2 2014, 1:21am)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 1:24am

Post #27 of 34 (435 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo and his ring [In reply to] Can't Post

I like this image a lot.

What's the matter Bilbo?

What is going on around you?

What lead you to this moment?

Poor Mr. Baggins.Unsure

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 2 2014, 6:49pm

Post #28 of 34 (380 views)
Shortcut
*grins* - it's my "slavering, greedy rabble" after all....*winks* [In reply to] Can't Post

howling for gold from these poor cute dwarves, who have been *bleeped* on by all in ME.

After studying the images - esp. from another thread w. Gandalf and what looks like Laketowners, noticed in the "crowd image" they even have torches ready for lightingShocked

And if they have all these weapons, so why CAN'T these folks go a-hunting and get to work making shelter, because even if Thorin showered them with gold doesn't look like there's anything to BUY e.g. no stores for many miles.Wink

My poor dwarves! The shame of it, and Gandalf right there with the snarling mob....Evil

(This post was edited by Avandel on Aug 2 2014, 6:53pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 3 2014, 1:53pm

Post #29 of 34 (351 views)
Shortcut
Where to shop from Lake-town... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And if they have all these weapons, so why CAN'T these folks go a-hunting and get to work making shelter, because even if Thorin showered them with gold doesn't look like there's anything to BUY e.g. no stores for many miles.Wink

Well, I suppose that both Dorwinion and Rohan are near enough for an emergency supply run; although, we know that many of the Lake-town survivors are still going to die over the winter.

Most of the implements that I saw in the picture looked more like fisherman and bargeman tools and farming implements, rather than proper weapons, much like the improvised weapons that Bard produced for the Dwarves.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 3 2014, 1:55pm)

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Aug 3 2014, 8:47pm

Post #30 of 34 (340 views)
Shortcut
He lost the weight very quickly [In reply to] Can't Post

That was in 2004. I interviewed him for my book, The Frodo Franchise, on July 2, 2014 (ten years ago now!), and he was still as heavy as during he filming. Two or three months later I saw him appearing at events, all slimmed down. Very fast! He said he did it by eating yogurt and fruit.

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 4:26am

Post #31 of 34 (321 views)
Shortcut
Dorwinion maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

as it's right downriver, and there isn't any major obstacles (meaning mountains, diseased woods, etc) in the way, according to the map.

However, Rohan is to the south, and they would not only have to pass through Beorn's territory, but also quite near to Dol Guldur. Although Sauron leaves for Mordor during that scuffle, he does leave some of his minions behind (hence the assault on Lorien in the war of the ring).

If there was still a north-south route (which, given that Eorl went from Framsburg in the north to the area now known as Rohan for aid to Gondor, we know must have existed at some point), it, like the east-west path, was likely either under Sauron's control, or abandoned/disused by this point.

So Dorwinion yes (they must get their Dorwinion wine somehow, so I see that being a viable and decently thriving route), but Rohan? I don't think they're near enough to give aid to the refugees, at least not til spring at the earliest.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 4 2014, 2:42pm

Post #32 of 34 (306 views)
Shortcut
Rohan or not Rohan... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Old Forest Road through Mirkwood is still impassable immediately following the Battle of Five Armies. A caravan heading to Rohan would have to travel straight south from the Long Lake and wouldn't pass anywhere near Beorn's territory. After Sauron is driven from Dol Guldur, passing by southern Mirkwood should be relatively safe for a few years and travelers would not have to approach close to Dol Guldur unless they were making for the Anduin. A trek to Rohan and back before winter began in earnest would definitely be feasable.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 2:55pm

Post #33 of 34 (303 views)
Shortcut
eh [In reply to] Can't Post

howling for gold from these poor cute dwarves, who have been *bleeped* on by all in ME.

You are evoking images of a Company of seven... and way too particularly fluffy for any use in Erebor Tongue *runs for cover*

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 2:57pm

Post #34 of 34 (302 views)
Shortcut
Great point there, Sempai! [In reply to] Can't Post

They would have to hurry, but yeah, it could be done.

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.