The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Collider's Comic Con Interview with PJ & Cast

Dcole4
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 5:01pm

Post #1 of 15 (1558 views)
Shortcut
Collider's Comic Con Interview with PJ & Cast Can't Post

http://collider.com/the-hobbit-battle-of-the-five-armies-peter-jackson-benedict-cumberbatch-interview/

(I hope that's clickable)

Interestingly, Cate Blanchett said she did 4 weeks of filming. That is a heck of a lot of time on any films set. The White Counsel in film 1 would have taken no more than 3-4 days, if that. I think we have a lot in store for BOTFA. I'm hoping this means much more Saruman, Radagast and Elrond. I certainly hope this means another White Counsel scene. I love watching these actors, particularly Mr. Lee. I really hope we get a lot of them, even if some of it is cut and saved for the EE.

(This post was edited by Dcole4 on Jul 31 2014, 5:01pm)

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Jul 31 2014, 5:07pm

Post #2 of 15 (1047 views)
Shortcut
That's very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Prior to this Cate always said she had done just ONE week of filming way back in 2011. So maybe she went back for reshoots last year and shot for 3 more weeks? If so, her role must have increased considerably.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2014, 5:19pm

Post #3 of 15 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Clickable [In reply to] Can't Post

http://collider.com/...mberbatch-interview/

ETA: I think Cate is referring to Rings when she says 4 weeks - she says "first time around" and then goes to on to say "then to go back10 years later..."

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Ż Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Jul 31 2014, 5:26pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 5:31pm

Post #4 of 15 (994 views)
Shortcut
I think the 4 weeks referred to her time working on LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

She says "the four weeks I spent, the first time around, were game-changing for me." Then later she references coming back 10 years later.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2014, 5:32pm

Post #5 of 15 (975 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like the four weeks of filming that Cate Blanchett is referring to is from Lord of the Rings. She calls it "the first time around" and then goes on to talk about coming back for the Hobbit.

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Dcole4
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 5:34pm

Post #6 of 15 (980 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Just re-read that bit. A little disappointed but I'm sure there are some great scenes ahead regardless. I do wonder how they'll end the White Counsel subplot considering it ends halfway through the movie.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 5:49pm

Post #7 of 15 (974 views)
Shortcut
That sounds very good. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don’t really think of it as a battle. A battle is a self-contained thing. But with this, the storyline of all of our characters is developing, all the way through. When they get into combat, the storyline is still evolving. Things happen in the middle of the battle that changes the storyline of certain characters, and there’s a lot to follow it.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 31 2014, 9:40pm

Post #8 of 15 (906 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds kind of like the Bof5A might be less of a single setpiece than the previous battles and more of an ongoing storyline with different stages, which I think would work very well.

And on a completely shallow note, that picture at the top is the most unflattering shot of Orlando I've ever seen. I didn't recognize him at first. Shocked

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 11:31pm

Post #9 of 15 (870 views)
Shortcut
Felt sad re missing cast and re Orly looks better in BOFA [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course I know why MF and RA were not present, and can make guesses about all the other dwarves, but it just feels really
weird for me when I see all this LOTR stuff, and this whole journey started with with dwarves and Bilbo, the excitement of all the
little hairy guys.Frown

I mean, last time I re-watched LOTR I skipped ROTK....

And just sayin' re Orly - with sensitivity because I know he has fans, and respect because he does his own stunts, and he looked
awesome at Bard's....the worst shots I know of are these from DOS:

Way too much makeup and and silicon.

No, no, no - and even worse, on my last re-watch on my TV all along his hairline you can
see netting. It's there. I can't believe this kind of thing gets by the people editing
these films. I mean, HELLO, folks are going to be seeing this in IMAX!!!

Happily, looks like some improvements were made re DOS:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 1 2014, 2:35pm

Post #10 of 15 (739 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It sounds kind of like the Bof5A might be less of a single setpiece than the previous battles and more of an ongoing storyline with different stages, which I think would work very well.

The battle went through several stages in the book, too.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 2 2014, 12:13am

Post #11 of 15 (707 views)
Shortcut
Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas definitely looks better in those shots in the new teaser. At first I thought I was just getting used to how he looks in the Hobbit, but I think there might be more to it than that. Maybe the digital de-aging has been improved, or maybe they just improved the regular makeup. Whatever the reason, he looks much more natural in the BotFA teaser.

Or maybe they just picked the best shots.Laugh

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 2 2014, 1:30am

Post #12 of 15 (693 views)
Shortcut
I'd go with the best shots please [In reply to] Can't Post

He does look a lot better. Still not quite so nubile as in LotR, which I reckon is beyond even elvish medicine but yeah, at least he doesn't look like a digital art rendition circa polar express Shocked

I'm sure Thranduil was getting worried about his son taking something he shouldn't. By the grace of the Mengroth's foundations, now he can focus on badassing his way through the battleHeartBlushAngelic

Just call me Lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Aug 2 2014, 1:35am)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 1:39am

Post #13 of 15 (681 views)
Shortcut
I am expecting a good serving of White Council // [In reply to] Can't Post

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Aug 2 2014, 1:41am)

Laineth
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 2:50am

Post #14 of 15 (692 views)
Shortcut
Okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

… I must be going blind, because I can't see what's wrong with Legolas. All I see is a little frizz on the back of his head on the second pic, which makes sense since he's outside.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 2 2014, 9:11am

Post #15 of 15 (647 views)
Shortcut
You and me both.. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.