The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fun Fact: Dads in "The Hobbit" and their (older) sons

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 30 2014, 11:42pm

Post #1 of 9 (1436 views)
Shortcut
Fun Fact: Dads in "The Hobbit" and their (older) sons Can't Post

I just realized that we've got some funny circumstances about the ages of our many Middle-earth daddys compared to their sons...

Gloin and Gimli
Okay... Both never appeared on screen together, but Gloin-actor Peter Hambleton (born 1960) is about 14 years younger that his sons actor John-Rhys Davies (born 1944).

Azog and Bolg
I never quite understood how an Orc parenthood works but obviously the father can be younger than his offspring since Manu Bennett (born 1969) is almost a years younger than his "son" Lawrence Makoare (born 1968).

Thranduil and Legolas
For me the biggest surprise was the fact that Lee Pace (born 1979) is actually almost two years younger than Orlando Bloom (born 1977). That was interesting since you can't see it on screen which implies either Bloom's still looking younger than he is or Lee Pace is just a great actor. Perhaps it's both.

Do you have other fun facts about our ME daddys?

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Name
Rohan

Jul 31 2014, 2:51am

Post #2 of 9 (1121 views)
Shortcut
Let's just say people in ME can't count [In reply to] Can't Post

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 11:57am

Post #3 of 9 (1007 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew about Thranduil and Legolas of course (and it was hilarious how PJ seemed to be tickled by it still in that after-panel interview, but OB wasn't as amused to be reminded Tongue ) and Gimli and Gloin, but didn't know about the orcish duo.

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment. But call me Lurker.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jul 31 2014, 12:11pm

Post #4 of 9 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Uncle Thorin (1971) [In reply to] Can't Post

is only 5 years older than his nephew Fili (1976).
A very young "father figure", isn't he ?Tongue

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 12:25pm

Post #5 of 9 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Dean O'Gorman is 37?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Woof.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jul 31 2014, 12:28pm

Post #6 of 9 (1011 views)
Shortcut
actually [In reply to] Can't Post

going on 38, he'll turn 38 next December.
But he looks younger, he has always looked much younger, even as a teenager (he started acting at 13).

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 1:40pm

Post #7 of 9 (999 views)
Shortcut
I strongly disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

But then I would, since I think Bloom looks awful (and behaves worse) in DoS. I can definitely see that he looks older than Lee Pace in the film, which is one of the things that takes me right out of it (the other being the difference between Bloom's appearance in LotR compared with DoS). In the new trailer Legolas's appearance (the weird eyes and pursed mouth) is truly scary – wouldn't be surprised if Smaug ran away from him in terror.

Thranduil is superb, however.

In Reply To
For me the biggest surprise was the fact that Lee Pace (born 1979) is actually almost two years younger than Orlando Bloom (born 1977). That was interesting since you can't see it on screen which implies either Bloom's still looking younger than he is or Lee Pace is just a great actor. Perhaps it's both.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jul 31 2014, 1:42pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 10:02pm

Post #8 of 9 (922 views)
Shortcut
Been watching "The Almighty Johnsons" [In reply to] Can't Post

on SyFy - he looks pretty good in that, too! But really, I suppose Dis could have been Thorin's older sister? Doesn't matter, the Heirs of Durin look mighty fine!!EvilHeart

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 10:09pm

Post #9 of 9 (921 views)
Shortcut
I agree partly. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he looks great for his age but they messed him up with the ridiculous cgi.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.