Warner Bros. Options 'Dragonriders of Pern'

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 9:54pm

Post #1 of 8 (495 views)
Shortcut
Warner Bros. Options 'Dragonriders of Pern' Can't Post

From post at Bleeding Cool:

After Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit have finished their theatrical run, Warner Brothers will still need a tent pole fantasy epic series and they may have just found it. According to deadline, the studio has just optioned the Dragonriders Of Pern book series from the estate of author Anne McCaffery. 22 novels in all, the series started in 1967/1968 with Dragonflight, the first of the original trilogy along with Dragonquest and The White Dragon.

Continue reading at the link.

The last attempt to adapt The Dragonriders of Pern fell through. Let's hope that this one has better luck!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 10:01pm

Post #2 of 8 (447 views)
Shortcut
just fyi: I did put this in the special edition movie thread - see below [In reply to] Can't Post

There was so much news coming out about tv shows and movies and I wanted people to feel free to post about any of it in the thread that gets started on Sunday night.

Thus the 'Special Edition' nature of it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 10:06pm

Post #3 of 8 (443 views)
Shortcut
Ah! So you did. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since that thread was concentrating about news from Comic-Con I never considered posting this there. I probably did see your post but completely forgot that it was there and not an actual article that I had first read about the project.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 10:22pm

Post #4 of 8 (447 views)
Shortcut
news was just getting thick from all sorts of sources - thus the 'etc' [In reply to] Can't Post

...since sometimes it was hard to tell how the news was broken.

We have a lot of people here who seem to be completely unaware of the movie thread. Usually, 'news' is not the same as 'just watched' but I was anticipating we could flood Off Topic with all the news that was getting released this week if each bit got it's own thread. :-)

It was an experiment.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 10:26pm

Post #5 of 8 (448 views)
Shortcut
Understood. [In reply to] Can't Post

A francise of Pern films might still deserve its own topic. The books, especially the early ones, have always been popular among fantasy/s.f. readers. And movie technology has caught up to the books. Depending on the scripts, director and casting, these could be great!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 30 2014, 11:53pm

Post #6 of 8 (452 views)
Shortcut
My big concern [In reply to] Can't Post

is that a movie studio looks at the Pern books and sees *D*R*A*G*O*N*S* instead of a quasi-medieval world where life is hard and short and being a dragonrider means being subservient to nature.

I just don’t trust that a studio will see the grittiness of the stories. I hope I'm wrong though.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Sunflower
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 9:25am

Post #7 of 8 (431 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

they think dragons are "hot" right now (here's looking at you, Game of Thrones's Danearys Stormborn) and they think they can spin a comparable gritty medieval epic fantasy series on the big screen, but with a PG-13 flavor. Here's hoping,*if* they don't muck it up like they've done parts of TH, making it look like a video game...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 31 2014, 1:56pm

Post #8 of 8 (414 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Film adaptations almost inevitably simplify. It is the nature of the beast. Even Peter Jackson's adaptation of The Hobbit is not completely immune (even though, for the most part, Jackson actually manages to further complicate the story). Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels probably represent the first fantasy series that I ever read that took a close look at the socio-political impact of the stories' events on its setting. The Lord of the Rings does this to some extent, but not in nearly as much detail or with as much of a sense of realism. The film version could easily leave most or all if this on the cutting room floor--and that would be a terrible shame.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.