The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Sad news about JRR's favourite tree -

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2014, 5:14pm

Post #1 of 22 (1514 views)
Shortcut
Sad news about JRR's favourite tree - Can't Post

The Black Pine in Oxford's Botanic Garden is soon to be no more. JRR was very fond of that tree; the last picture of him was taken with him standing beside it.

http://www.tolkiensociety.org/2014/07/tolkiens-favourite-tree-to-be-cut-down/

(This post was edited by geordie on Jul 30 2014, 5:15pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 30 2014, 7:30pm

Post #2 of 22 (1313 views)
Shortcut
Monumentally sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish it could be saved, somehow.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 30 2014, 11:25pm

Post #3 of 22 (1285 views)
Shortcut
We can't let this happen! [In reply to] Can't Post

We should start a petition or something to save it. We shouldn't just let them cut it down! Is anyone on board for a petition?

http://www.amagpiesnest.com/a/torn/fotr25.jpg

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 31 2014, 2:47am

Post #4 of 22 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately, it's probably dying, and peoples' safety is at stake [In reply to] Can't Post

In case you didn't read the article (emphasis mine):

The Oxford Botanic Garden has announced that its large black pine (pinus nigra), one of Tolkien’s favourite trees, will be cut down for safety reasons.

Two large limbs fell from the tree last weekend, and Oxford City Council and Oxford University have been forced to make the very difficult decision that the tree will need to be cut down to avoid endangering the safety of its visitors and staff, and nearby structures.

From experience, I know that once a big tree like that starts dropping big limbs, it's well on it's way to dying and may already be dead. In a strong wind, the whole tree could fall over and easily injure or kill someone. I worked for a landscaper in a past life and know that a pine tree may still have green needles, but the heart of the tree can already be dead. Very, very sad, to be sure. But, unfortunately, trees don't live forever. Frown

On the bright side. I think it's wonderful that the Botanic Gardens wants to celebrate and commemorate the tree in connection with Tolkien, and has contacted to Tolkien Society for guidance. I'm sure they all love the tree too (it's a Botanic Gardens, after all, not a high rise developer), and are probably the most qualified to have made the decision that it just can't be saved.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 31 2014, 4:10am)

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 31 2014, 2:54am

Post #5 of 22 (1282 views)
Shortcut
From the original article [In reply to] Can't Post

The Tolkien Society had a link to the original article which can be found here.

They believe the tree could be 215 years old, which is a good, long life for a tree. In addition:

Dr Alison Foster, acting director of the Garden, said: 'The black pine was a highlight of many people's visits to the Botanic Garden and we are very sad to lose such an iconic tree. We intend to propagate from this magnificent tree so that future generations will not miss out on this important link to Tolkien. We are considering using the wood from the black pine for an educational project along the lines of the One Oak project and hope to hold a celebratory event to commemorate the tree and its many associations in due course.

They're going to make sure the tree will live on in many ways, which I think would have made Tolkien smile. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 31 2014, 3:24am

Post #6 of 22 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Branch fall in Kew Gardens recently [In reply to] Can't Post

killed a woman who was walking near it. There comes a time when you have to remove a tree for everyone's safety.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 31 2014, 10:19am

Post #7 of 22 (1257 views)
Shortcut
Our Treebeard... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is terribly sad. I wish someone could make something from a bit of the wood and place it where Tinuviel and he lay.

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2014, 5:16pm

Post #8 of 22 (1247 views)
Shortcut
believe it or not, someone caught the moment on video - [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYZ_VlXB6pQ

Very scary.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 6:23pm

Post #9 of 22 (1235 views)
Shortcut
That quote brings another to mind [In reply to] Can't Post

Then the withered tree was uprooted, but with reverence; and they did not burn it, but laid it to rest in the silence of Rath Dínen.
(ROTK, The Steward and the King)

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 31 2014, 7:08pm

Post #10 of 22 (1235 views)
Shortcut
This might cheer us all up a bit. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the comments below that article said that several seeds from that tree have been planted in Poland. Here's one of the seedlings: http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1191/2635/original.jpg and here's an article (in Polish, which is no help to me) with another photo: link

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 31 2014, 10:12pm

Post #11 of 22 (1218 views)
Shortcut
This is a beautiful idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart
Also maybe as an idea they could use the wood from the tree to create something, (necklaces, other trinkets), and sell them to fans who could then have a part of the tree to keep. They could use the money made to fund the upkeep of the rest of the park and other trees.

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Jul 31 2014, 10:15pm)

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 1 2014, 1:41am

Post #12 of 22 (1211 views)
Shortcut
During the crusades, it was said [In reply to] Can't Post

that if every splinter of the cross in England could be gathered in one place, there would be enough wood to build a fair-sized ship.
I like the idea, but I'd have to be a little skeptical of the authenticity of the trinkets.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 1 2014, 3:20am

Post #13 of 22 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear! [In reply to] Can't Post

From reading the story on the Bontanc Gardens site, I was under the impression they had cleared out the area long before the branches actually fell. In reality, it was a really close call!

From watching that video, they had chairs and blanket set up under the tree, probably for Tolkien fans to use to sit and admire the tree. Thank goodness someone realized what was happening and cleared the area.

As sad as it is, after watching the video, it really seems like the best thing to do to cut it down. I'm sure Tolkien wouldn't have wanted his favorite tree to be the cause of injuring, or possibly killing, people who have the same love of nature, and of Middle-earth, as he did.

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 1 2014, 3:34am

Post #14 of 22 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Perfect, BlackFox [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly can't read that quote without my eyes welling up with tears. If only they could lay the black pine in Rath Dinen! Since they can't, the *can* honor Tolkien in other ways, which it seems they're already well on their way to doing.

When I was a child, there was a huge, magnificent cottonwood tree in a field across the street from our house. One day, when I about nine or so, they cut it down to make way for a housing division. They had to close the street, and when it fell, the top of it landed in our front yard, which is impressive because by then the street was 4-lanes by then. To this day, I still morn a little for that amazing tree. Frown

It really is lucky that the staff of the Oxford Botanic Gardens are so conscientious of the meaning of that tree to Tolkien fans, and are doing everything they can to preserve its memory, and the fact that it was so cherished by Tolkien.

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 1 2014, 3:37am

Post #15 of 22 (1201 views)
Shortcut
Brava, Aunt Dora! [In reply to] Can't Post

How awesome that they've already been thinking of extending the life of that tree via seedlings! Or, maybe, Entlings? Wink

You definitely cheered me up! Thanks for finding, and posting, that. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 1 2014, 6:13am

Post #16 of 22 (1196 views)
Shortcut
How sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope they plant another tree in the same spot - in commemoration of the old one and for the new generation to enjoy and love.

Timdalf
Rivendell

Aug 2 2014, 5:05pm

Post #17 of 22 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Write to Oxford U and Oxford City Council [In reply to] Can't Post

and start the idea they should provide bits of the Tree as souvenirs for Tolkienites world wide!

And I love the idea of putting a good bit near the Tolkien grave site. Perhaps a shrine-like affair above it. With the consent of his descendants of course.

https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/contact-oxfordshire-county-council

(This post was edited by Timdalf on Aug 2 2014, 5:08pm)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 3 2014, 4:48am

Post #18 of 22 (1154 views)
Shortcut
That's what I think! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know many people would love to buy things made from the wood if given the opportunity.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 4 2014, 8:40pm

Post #19 of 22 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Sad... [In reply to] Can't Post

Feels like a part of Tolkien's getting cut down in the process...

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 6 2014, 1:54pm

Post #20 of 22 (1109 views)
Shortcut
Oh... what a great idea :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2014, 7:00pm

Post #21 of 22 (1094 views)
Shortcut
Not sure how I feel about trinkets being made - [In reply to] Can't Post

- and as for the idea of any kind of a 'shrine' - no; definitely not for me.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2014, 7:04pm

Post #22 of 22 (1107 views)
Shortcut
We visit Oxford a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

- well, several times a year anyway. We've collected a few cones from that tree over the years. Can't keep them all, obviously; but we still have one here, near me as I type.

I can always tell when it's going to rain.

Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.