The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dain's army in the trailer

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Jul 30 2014, 4:44pm

Post #1 of 11 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Dain's army in the trailer Can't Post

I can't get an image small enough to add here so show you but there is a scene at 1:22 in the trailer that shows an army charging on rams. I've played it in slow motion and paused (a lot) and I swear they are no orcs. Their armor is similar to Thorin's and in the book Dain enters on a boar (and Connelly said he does in the film too, though he is known to jest). I think Dain's army enters in the film as a cavalry unit on rams. Interesting choice of animal but not unbelievable since the dwarves of the Iron Hills are mountain folk. Thoughts?

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jul 30 2014, 5:09pm

Post #2 of 11 (754 views)
Shortcut
That was one of my favourite shots [In reply to] Can't Post

from the trailer.I instantly fell in love with the battle rams.They can be a lethal,unstoppable force and in that shot already, look amazing.And these are definitely Dwarves that ride them.I have seen many images that indicate so which made me very excited for Dain's clan.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 30 2014, 6:51pm

Post #3 of 11 (687 views)
Shortcut
Here you go! [In reply to] Can't Post

For a bigger version, click here.

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

Aranaes
Rivendell

Jul 30 2014, 6:54pm

Post #4 of 11 (653 views)
Shortcut
I thought. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. it was kinda well known that it was a dwarf army riding the rams? But I wouldnt be so sure it is Dain's army. We have already seen from the tapestry that each Dwarf Kingdom has it's own emblem. The House of Dain is the Boar, Erebor has the Raven. The Ram belongs to another Kingdom. Consider this along with the statement that PJ made hinting there could be technically more than 5 armies and one could imagine there being 2 dwarf armies added to the mix!
Also, I'm pretty sure Dain doesnt arrive on a boar in the book!

'And I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)!'

(This post was edited by Aranaes on Jul 30 2014, 6:58pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 7:39pm

Post #5 of 11 (608 views)
Shortcut
Here's a question for you ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why are the rams only wearing armour on their heads? Surely all an Orc would have to do is aim for the legs. Did the Dwarves not think of that? Wink

I just love the rams, and even the boars if we see them. There's something about Middle-earth animals - thrushes, ravens, oliphaunts, eagles, spiders, horses etc. - that excites me. The team haven't just come up with races and peoples of Middle-earth, they've also created entire creatures. Love them.

Náron the Dwarf
The Shire

Jul 30 2014, 9:29pm

Post #6 of 11 (552 views)
Shortcut
Dain might have a boar. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Several people on these boards have suggested that Dain, as the leader of the Iron Hills army, may have a boar, to make him stand out on the battlefield.

My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/...s/automatonpictures/

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2014, 9:34pm

Post #7 of 11 (541 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Grimnir pointed this out in another thread yesterday... [In reply to] Can't Post

the rams are the symbol of Balin's family, so it seems he has called on his folk to come to the besieged company's aid, also!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2014, 9:44pm

Post #8 of 11 (529 views)
Shortcut
Why would they have two dwarf armies? [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely unnecessarily complicated?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 10:09pm

Post #9 of 11 (511 views)
Shortcut
You can only armor a mount so much. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Why are the rams only wearing armour on their heads? Surely all an Orc would have to do is aim for the legs. Did the Dwarves not think of that? Wink

If you put too much armor on a riding animal you lose the advantage of mobility. There is additional barding on the necks and flanks of the rams.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 10:18pm

Post #10 of 11 (517 views)
Shortcut
A second Dwarf army is very unlikely. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
. it was kinda well known that it was a dwarf army riding the rams? But I wouldnt be so sure it is Dain's army. We have already seen from the tapestry that each Dwarf Kingdom has it's own emblem. The House of Dain is the Boar, Erebor has the Raven. The Ram belongs to another Kingdom. Consider this along with the statement that PJ made hinting there could be technically more than 5 armies and one could imagine there being 2 dwarf armies added to the mix!
Also, I'm pretty sure Dain doesnt arrive on a boar in the book!

The Dwarves of the Iron Hills are the only clan close enough to reach Erebor in a short amount of time. The next-closest Dwarf-colony that we know about are the Blue Mountain Dwarves who are on the other side of Eriador--as far away as the Grey Havens! There seem to be no Dwarves in the White Mountains, north of Gondor; nor in the ranges that make up the borders of Mordor. The Grey Mountains and Misty Mountains are given over to Orcs and gobllins.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Rickster
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 11:07pm

Post #11 of 11 (501 views)
Shortcut
Dain will be on it. [In reply to] Can't Post

He has to be.. the rest is just super !

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.