Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is it really over? Potential for a War in the North sequel to the Hobbit.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 4:40am

Post #1 of 18 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Is it really over? Potential for a War in the North sequel to the Hobbit. Can't Post

The Battle of the Five Armies is apparently the last Middle-Earth movie, but how many people would like a War in the North follow-up? The events in the North in those days were quite important to the fate of Middle-Earth, after all.

There are, of course, many stories the studios can choose to make a new Middle-Earth film series, but after Hobbit III, many people are going to want to return to that part of Middle-Earth. (Also, the necessary cast are available right now - so perhaps the studios should strike while the iron is hot).

While there is relatively little for a script writer to work with, it also allows a (hopefully) competent one more freedom - I wouldn't mind a Middle-Earth version of Empire Strikes Back in a new War in the North series.

Of course, some might call it 'fan-fiction' but I see it as an opportunity to see places and characters we may never see again (and I would like to see what the rest of those elusive Rangers were up to during the War of the Ring). And something tells me that Thranduil is going to rival his son in popularity.

And we may finally get to see a Barrow Wight or two.

(There is also the fate of Orcrist. If it is similar to that of the book, then I can see Thorin's sword playing a certain vital part during the War in the North. Knowing what happened to it in the book, I would really like to see that.).

So who's up to see that other great battle in the North?

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Jul 30 2014, 4:45am)

Rickster
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 5:34am

Post #2 of 18 (835 views)
Shortcut
Wise [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be wise to have the best writer(s) in the world make a story just loosely based on that world
Not sure how much is possible in relation to the copy rights

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 30 2014, 7:12am

Post #3 of 18 (792 views)
Shortcut
I am rather sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the only thing for what PJ and Co would consider coming back to Middle-earth would be the Silmarillion.

I do not think PJ has much interest in becoming a franchise director beyond the point of the two books he felt a certain dedication and in the end also obligation to. Especially with so many ideas on hold since he took over TH.

But WB? Unfortunately, I am very unsure about them. I would rather have them staying in touch with Tolkien's heirs (long-time project, for sure) and maybe catching that window of opportunity that might at some point come for the rights to the Silmarillion (though, I wouldn't be unhappy if another studio made the catch in the end). A movie series called "The War of the Jewels" smartly lining up the bigger events of the Sil would surely be a dream come true for me. If it was ever done in his lifetime, PJ surely would be a good choice... at least on a consulting level. As well as WETA.

As of now I hope PJ is going to do both "Dam Busters" and "As Nature Made Him".

Both sound like the perfect movies to make absolutely clear that he has no intention of being the Middle-earth-guy all his life.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Vepariga
The Shire

Jul 30 2014, 7:41am

Post #4 of 18 (727 views)
Shortcut
wait.. [In reply to] Can't Post

P.J is going to do 'Dam Busters'? Hell Yes!

- Vep - Guardsman of the woodland realm of Mirkwood -

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 30 2014, 7:48am

Post #5 of 18 (715 views)
Shortcut
It is one of the options. [In reply to] Can't Post

He didn't confirm it, yet. But it seems likely.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 8:02am

Post #6 of 18 (722 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately, the rights to the Silmarillion appear to be untouchable - [In reply to] Can't Post

- at least in our lifetimes.

Besides the Silmarillion would probably be even harder to film than the current movies, if they wanted to do the book justice (and it would likely take about twenty-plus movies to do so).

Perhaps, someday...

However, I think that of more concern at the moment are the rights to the Middle-Earth movie franchise. As I understand it, the studios have to continue making more movies or lose those rights. In their place I'd be very reluctant to give up such a goldmine.

I'm mainly arguing that if they want to keep those rights, the next logical step in the franchise is the War in the North. All the ingredients are there, and available right now. Many people watched the Hobbit Trilogy because they liked the Lord of the Rings. Some prefer one over the other. A War in the North franchise has the potential to draw fans of both movie Trilogies.

I can understand Peter Jackson wanting to take a break from Middle-Earth, but I wonder if Andy Serkis has some spare time available after Star Wars Episode VII and Avengers: Age of Ultron......

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -

boldog
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 10:07am

Post #7 of 18 (653 views)
Shortcut
All I can say [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that they better hurry up, if they are going to make a war in the north franchise.
Actors age, and obviously we all like to see the actors we already know reprise their famous roles. If this franchise is to happen, Gandalf should appear in it, as well as a few other characters. But by that time, Ian Mckellen will be pushing his age, as well as many other potential actors.

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 10:30am

Post #8 of 18 (640 views)
Shortcut
There is an opportunity to show the coming of the new White Wizard. [In reply to] Can't Post

If this franchise is to happen, Gandalf should appear in it, as well as a few other characters.

I tend to think of his new staff as a gift of Lady Galadriel, similar to the ones she gave to the other Nine Companions.

I don't think they need Ian Mckellen for too many scenes, though, since the majority of his character's adventures take place in other parts of Middle-Earth - but I would like to see him back, even if it's just a cameo.

Also, do Elrond's sons exist in the Middle-Earth movie canon?

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Jul 30 2014, 10:36am)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jul 30 2014, 12:28pm

Post #9 of 18 (607 views)
Shortcut
He says so in the bts of DOS TE [In reply to] Can't Post

as he speaks with Jed Brophy.

I think he has many actors willing to play the part of the brave soldiers.... that is his company of Dwarves (many have already dressed up as soldiers in Dean O'Gorman's photo sessionsWink ).

Noria
Gondor

Jul 30 2014, 12:46pm

Post #10 of 18 (586 views)
Shortcut
I'd be happy to see a War in the North movie, if it was well done. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see Dain and King Brand and the battle of Erebor/Dale,

Galadriel and Celeborn and the assaults on Lothlorien from Dol Guldur,

Thranduil and the fighting under the trees of Mirkwood.

All that stuff catches at my imagination.

But I too think it unlikely that PJ would direct another ME movie. Obviously most of this screenplay would have to be created from the imagination of its writers.

Name
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 2:19pm

Post #11 of 18 (551 views)
Shortcut
War in the North would be cool [In reply to] Can't Post

But so would a movie about the rise of Angmar that would incorporate the Dunedain Rangers. Seeing the city of Annuminas and the fortress of Fornost would be really cool.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 3:48pm

Post #12 of 18 (532 views)
Shortcut
That is one possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

While I can think of several possible film projects that could be made under the existing filmrights for TH and LotR, I'm not sure how many of them would be commercially viable. I don't know that audiences would flock to a War of the North movie--much less a film series.

I think the most potential exists with a film or films about Aragorn's younger days, beginning with the events around his birth, his fostering in Rivendell, the revelation of his true name and heritage and his first encounter with Arwen, to Aragorn's great journeys and errantries, ending with his reunion with Arwen in Lothlorien. Certainly, some drama can be made of his service with Gondor, a young Denethor guessing ast his true identity and seeing him as a threat to his future position and even to Gondor's stability.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 4:17pm

Post #13 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut
These are indeed other options - [In reply to] Can't Post

But so would a movie about the rise of Angmar that would incorporate the Dunedain Rangers. Seeing the city of Annuminas and the fortress of Fornost would be really cool.

I think the most potential exists with a film or films about Aragorn's younger days, beginning with the events around his birth, his fostering in Rivendell, the revelation of his true name and heritage and his first encounter with Arwen, to Aragorn's great journeys and errantries, ending with his reunion with Arwen in Lothlorien.

- and I definitely would like to see them ('Angmar' and 'Young Aragorn' are already on my Hit List), but these movies could be made with an almost entirely new cast, with the possible exception of Hugo Weaving, Ian McKellen and Liv Tyler (How old was Aragorn when he met Arwen? We might need Viggo back). With War in the North we need a lot more of the current Middle-Eath cast available - Lee Pace, Cate Blanchett, Marton Csokas, the actors who play the remaining Dwarves and perhaps even Sylvester McCoy.

One of my concerns with the Hobbit movies was the possibility that they'd have to recast Gandalf and Saruman, and to be honest, I really didn't like the idea. Imagine having someone other than Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee in those roles. That's another reason I'd like to them to make War in the North first.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Jul 30 2014, 4:25pm)

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 4:24pm

Post #14 of 18 (504 views)
Shortcut
Actually, a young Denethor getting a glimpse into a Palantir in those early days - [In reply to] Can't Post

a young Denethor guessing ast his true identity and seeing him as a threat to his future position and even to Gondor's stability.

- could explain his insanity in later life. Perhaps it was his wife who kept him sane, and once she was gone, it all went downhill from there. Just an idea.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 4:27pm

Post #15 of 18 (501 views)
Shortcut
Twenty. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn was twenty years old when he first met Arwen. Twenty-five when he first met and became friends with Gandalf.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 4:32pm

Post #16 of 18 (493 views)
Shortcut
Denethor and the palantir of Minas Anor [In reply to] Can't Post

I've assumed that Denethor did not use the seeing stone of Minas Anor until after he became Steward, but your mileage may vary.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 4:56pm

Post #17 of 18 (489 views)
Shortcut
The timeline of events in these movies is different to that of the books - [In reply to] Can't Post

I've assumed that Denethor did not use the seeing stone of Minas Anor until after he became Steward, but your mileage may vary.

I'm assuming that in future movies, it may be even more so. I'm just suggesting that an early encounter with a Palantir could have tipped young Denethor over the edge. I suspect a possible similar encounter in the last Hobbit movie may have led to Saruman's downfall.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Jul 30 2014, 4:57pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 5:00pm

Post #18 of 18 (485 views)
Shortcut
Possibly... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've postulated, myself, that in the film-universe the Orthanc-stone might have been stolen from Isengard sometime in the past by an agent of the Enemy and brought to Dol Guldur. This would enable Saruman to discover it there and return it to Isengard. This also gets around the White Wizard occupying Orthanc for over 200 years and not finding (or at least using) the palantir sooner.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.