Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Something is off with the release dates of BOFA.

macfalk
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 10:37pm

Post #1 of 16 (768 views)
Shortcut
Something is off with the release dates of BOFA. Can't Post

This has been discussed before, but the fact that we Europeans get to see BOFA a whole week ahead of others (yes, a whole week - Dec 10 instead of Dec 17) is just wierd from a marketing point of view IMO and I thought it would have changed by now but it has not. One week is a looooong time in our internet age and avoiding spoilers for our American & other TORNsibs will be hard and painful. I don't get why they just don't move it to the 10th. If I was in your shoes I'd be furious - a whole week of everyone already analyzing the film to death and when you get to see it it's already old news (on the web, that is)

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 10:43pm

Post #2 of 16 (416 views)
Shortcut
Box Office [In reply to] Can't Post

Over the years the American box office is becoming less and less relevant. Sure opening weekend in the US is still important, but worldwide BO is what counts in the eyes of the Hollywood execs. Consider that each year movies, like Iron Man 3, Transformers 4, Looper, etc. have set pieces set in China to secure those lucrative international dollars. I'm assuming it won't just open a week early in Europe, it'll probably be global.

That said, one week doesn't seem too out of the ordinary now, didn't The Amazing Spider-Man 2 open two weeks-three weeks worldwide before the US?

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

macfalk
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 10:47pm

Post #3 of 16 (372 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of China [In reply to] Can't Post

With DOS, they released it two months later (with great success as it was a major increase over AUJ). Still, with AUJ and DOS, Europe has gotten it only 2 days earlier and that is nothing compared to a whole week.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 10:50pm

Post #4 of 16 (346 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess winter releases are handle differently overseas. I forget sometimes that Middle-Earth films aren't your typical blockbuster! Blush

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 11:00pm

Post #5 of 16 (339 views)
Shortcut
Fantasy movies generally do very well in Scandinavia compared to other countires [In reply to] Can't Post

So I guess it's a way for the studio to say "Hey, rest of the world, look how much they liked the movie!"

(This post was edited by Carne on Jul 29 2014, 11:01pm)

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 11:32pm

Post #6 of 16 (313 views)
Shortcut
i don't understand it either. [In reply to] Can't Post

They do stuff like this, and then they turn around and complain about pirating. Not that having the same release date would magically get rid of all internet piracy... But I guess I just don't understand why this is happening in 2014. You'd think by now they'd try to save their "dying industry" by avoiding stuff like this.

Name
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 11:44pm

Post #7 of 16 (301 views)
Shortcut
Yes, strange and seemingly unnecessary. [In reply to] Can't Post

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 11:59pm

Post #8 of 16 (299 views)
Shortcut
Honestly? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a bad marketing move. I have no problem waiting and that part isn't hard for me. But from a pure business perspective it makes no sense at all.

North America accounts for 1/3 of the box office total. That is a huge amount of money. If the movie goes out in Europe first and if, and I know it's a big if, IF the movie does not get good reviews the North American Box office could go south very quickly and people will pirate it rather than go to the box office, especially at Christmas time and money being tight.

So bottom line. They better know what they're doing because I think business wise they are playing with fire. and it's about business in the end.

Like I said I can wait and I have no issue with that whatsoeve. But I have been very critical and wary of WB's marketing of these films from the get go. This one is another concern for me I won't lie.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

patrickk
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 6:29am

Post #9 of 16 (189 views)
Shortcut
Indeed soem of us have ahd to wait until Dec 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

...for all of those movies; so there is an element of 'get used to it'!!!! The Europe market may be half of the total. They pick dates on expected box office returns for that marker that is why China is so much later and why we here in Oz have to wait until the 26th.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 30 2014, 7:24am

Post #10 of 16 (170 views)
Shortcut
I could see it still getting changed at some point, couldn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or do they do not want the Hobbit to come too closely to Mockingjay which might (no - will) rule the BO at this point?

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

adt100
Lorien

Jul 30 2014, 9:05am

Post #11 of 16 (142 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. Also in the past films used to routinely open weeks/months ahead of other countries. A welcome change this ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

adt100
Lorien

Jul 30 2014, 9:10am

Post #12 of 16 (140 views)
Shortcut
I'm confused at your point here? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you mean that all films should be released in all territories on the same day? There are many reasons why this doesn't happen. Some have commented on the Hunger Games 'Mockingjay' as being a possible reason. This seems to be a much bigger deal in the USA than Europe, so possibly they are wanting to give a week's grace when that film might be the main box office contender. The first 2 Hobbit films seem to have done pretty well at the box office.

In Europe we have always had to wait for films, and have always put up with it. Things have changed though, and these days Europe and other countries very often get the big films at the same time or even earlier. There is obviously good marketing and business sense for this, whatever it may be. It sounds to me (and I understand this attitude) that people North America are just a bit peeved that they have to wait a week....

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2014, 11:03am

Post #13 of 16 (130 views)
Shortcut
What's the problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

The UK always has to wait days, weeks, months after North American releases. It's about time we get something first.

EvilAngelicWink

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 2:01pm

Post #14 of 16 (97 views)
Shortcut
Australians have the true right to grumble [In reply to] Can't Post

December 26th.

Seventeen days is a long time for me to be keeping offline, not to mention staying away from TORn.

I think the 'trying not to drop spoilers' will be less taxing than having to stay off social media over Christmas.

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Jul 30 2014, 2:02pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 30 2014, 2:16pm

Post #15 of 16 (92 views)
Shortcut
Hear hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2014, 4:19pm

Post #16 of 16 (74 views)
Shortcut
I was speaking only from a business perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally get the having to wait and have no issue with it going out first there. But I'm not sure from a business perspective it's the right move.

I think there's a difference between business perspective and preference and I totally get the latter.

I personally have no problem waiting a week etc. I was just questioning it as a business decision is all. I could be off base. Wouldn't be the first time ;)

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.