The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil in BOFA, imagery he evokes, and maybe something for the readers
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Aug 7 2014, 10:52pm

Post #51 of 68 (672 views)
Shortcut
Errrr, ahhh, well something about Thranduil, wasn't it? Just kidding, Lurker! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my last paragraph was about Samarai warriors, wasn't it? See how easy it is for me to drift! Interesting pic of Thorin and Smaug. I get so carried away on these threads, probably bores many of the readers coming through to pieces!

Please, call me Ve.

(This post was edited by VeArkenstone on Aug 7 2014, 10:55pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 7 2014, 11:16pm

Post #52 of 68 (670 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes, artwork and the silver-haired woodland king [In reply to] Can't Post

Interestingly it would seem we will see other sides of Thranduil in BOFA, tho I for one love his edge. Mirkwood, or even Greenwood, IMO, was no place for wafting chiffon. Not if you wanted to survive.

But Ve, it seems Lurker hath finally received her copy of C & D, so I will be surprised if we hear much from her in the coming days *drool*. Wink

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 2:03pm

Post #53 of 68 (664 views)
Shortcut
Of course it ain't your fault [In reply to] Can't Post

Just that smokey barbecue sizzle on a bed of hot embers on a chill autumn night voice making you do things Tongue

Anyway, as fellow TORn member Kim chided me once, that didn't I know that ALL threads, no matter how obscure or what the subject matter, will eventually lead back to the glory of Thorin's hair. This is simply inevitable, and there really isn't any point of me fighting it. I don't know why I even make the feeble effort to try to focus elsewhere.Cool

No, sure, resistance is always futile. You just give the poor unsuspecting threadsAngelic that little nudge in Erebor's direction is all.FrownTongue

And anyway, I posted an awesome new image of Thranduil above, that should count for something *grins*Wink

Where?! Did i miss something?

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 2:10pm

Post #54 of 68 (659 views)
Shortcut
Well yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Chronic acute Thorinitis is bad enough. Combine that with the deadly Thranduilitis and it doesn't even matter which is the primary condition - it's always time to go knocking on heaven's door - any slightest thing can lead back to the condition. Of course the afflicted calls it a different thing and thinks its allegiance. Smile *Why am I missing metal ballads and House all of a sudden?"

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 8 2014, 3:39pm

Post #55 of 68 (663 views)
Shortcut
oooh I love this SQUEEE - think I am gonna use it for a sig! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just that smokey barbecue sizzle on a bed of hot embers on a chill autumn night voice making you do things Tongue

Just reading this and this image came FORCIBLY to mind. I can smell the smoke...

(OK, so sue me. It's ART. Granted, a bit OT, but it IS art. *Cough* Thorin is a work of art. It's on a stamp and everything.Wink)

In any case PJ & co. should be sued for either causing women (and probably some men) to spontaneously combust and/or go mad, because on the one hand you have RA and multi-depth performance and death and pathos, and on the other hand you've got white-hot eye-searing hormone-stoking candy going on.Shocked

It was bad enough in DOS when Thorin is threatening Bilbo - I thought my brain was going to split
from the strain of it. Not to mention the T & T scene when the camera is switching from one face to another, but what you REALLY want is to see both Thorin and Thranduil AT THE SAME TIME, at once. Couldn't they have used holographs or something for that scene?Tongue

Nonetheless, Lurker, your kind and tolerant empathy is truly appreciated. I didn't PLAN to
lose higher brain functions.Angelic Nor, when the new Thranduil images came out, did I PLAN to be staring with a kind of rapacious hunger at a computer monitor in a kind of suspended-state frozen wonder. Makes you thank the Valar for being born at timesWinkCoolTongue.

New pic - oh, I meant Kinko-White's new blue drawing of Thranduil posted above, which was definitely new. And we wonders, precious - last year leaks of new images came from kid's book covers and calenders, who seem to have gotten stuff out before ANYONE. So we wonders if PJ & co. have tightened that kind of thing down, or once again will we get little peeks via the calender and book folks?Cool

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 8 2014, 4:06pm

Post #56 of 68 (662 views)
Shortcut
For sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Chronic acute Thorinitis is bad enough. Combine that with the deadly Thranduilitis and it doesn't even matter which is the primary condition - it's always time to go knocking on heaven's door - any slightest thing can lead back to the condition.

No cure, either. Cool But then again, who wants to be.Evil

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 12:53am

Post #57 of 68 (652 views)
Shortcut
*LOL* Well now [In reply to] Can't Post

We better spruce it up eh? Smile How about: That smokey barbecue sizzle on a bed of hot embers smouldering the chill autumn night voice makes me do things

but what you REALLY want is to see both Thorin and Thranduil AT THE SAME TIME, at once. Couldn't they have used holographs or something for that scene?Tongue

I do? Not this

Well, yes, Thranduil's manly torso is a inspirational sightHeartHeartHeart, and we loves any views we gets of HIS MAGNIFICENCE precious, but not just his torso all the time. I wanna be able to see Thranduil's pulchritudinal perfection too!!!

=======

Kim
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 1:06am

Post #58 of 68 (655 views)
Shortcut
And here I've been [In reply to] Can't Post

politely passing over the recent updates on this thread as I didn't think I should continue to impose my Thorinitis on a thread dedicated to his adversary, when what do I discover? Pretties! And the source of Avandel's new sig - hee.

Resistance is futile.

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 1:34am

Post #59 of 68 (658 views)
Shortcut
nope, none at all [In reply to] Can't Post

though they might make the afflicted carry cardsSly

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 1:36am

Post #60 of 68 (649 views)
Shortcut
Eh, but I don't see it [In reply to] Can't Post

the sig that is?

Oh Kim, you should well know by now, any Avandel thread's fated to head in your favourite direction. Tongue

=======

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 9 2014, 1:47am

Post #61 of 68 (650 views)
Shortcut
Oh, well the sig should show up here [In reply to] Can't Post

Coz I have to rebut, anyway

No.

LOL Kim 'coz of the incurable THORINITIS. But it was you who pointed out a while back that ALL threads eventually lead back to Thorin's hair. But I managed to NOT mention in the CGI thread that none of the CGI mattered, what mattered is that no matter what the shot, Thorin's hair is GLORIOUS, and that is all that is importantWink. So I am feeling a lot of pride right now.

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Thorinitis: Just that smokey barbecue sizzle on a bed of hot embers on a chill autumn night voice making you do things.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 9 2014, 1:50am

Post #62 of 68 (650 views)
Shortcut
THUD [In reply to] Can't Post

*Sigh*HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart Now this is ART.

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Thorinitis: Just that smokey barbecue sizzle on a bed of hot embers on a chill autumn night voice making you do things.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 9 2014, 1:59am

Post #63 of 68 (650 views)
Shortcut
OMG ROFLOL [In reply to] Can't Post

It's gotta be - I'm getting it laminated and sending it to RA to sign.HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 2:07am

Post #64 of 68 (644 views)
Shortcut
*rolls eyes* Make sure you display your affliction card prominently now [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL Kim 'coz of the incurable THORINITIS. But it was you who pointed out a while back that ALL threads eventually lead back to Thorin's hair. But I managed to NOT mention in the CGI thread that none of the CGI mattered, what mattered is that no matter what the shot, Thorin's hair is GLORIOUS, and that is all that is importantWink. So I am feeling a lot of pride right now.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 2:08am

Post #65 of 68 (645 views)
Shortcut
Card personalisation options available at a small inconvenient fee [In reply to] Can't Post

Order yours now. Tongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 2:16am

Post #66 of 68 (644 views)
Shortcut
Its your thread, OT away [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

=======

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Aug 11 2014, 10:26pm

Post #67 of 68 (628 views)
Shortcut
All the stuff in here just makes me smile. Thud is correct on that one. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I have thought of something that evokes an image (well, in my mind anyway). The White Stag. I tried to pull in the the pics of the White Stag, its antlers, Thranduil, his crown out of TATII, but it will not copy! (Probably my error). Frustrating because these pictures clearly show the similarities between the antlers of the White Stag and Thranduil's crown. And with Thranduil's white hair, well, there is no mistaking what imagery Thranduil is trying to relay.

I was surprised the first time I saw DOS and Thranduil's crown. It is not bejeweled and made of gold, but made of twigs. The plants and berries that are woven into the crown are all plants of his forest, and ones which could be seen caught in the antlers of a White Stag. His scepter is an unadorned tree branch, with some carving, but not very much.

This imagery has me thinking that Thranduil is one with his Forest and possibly considers the White Stag sacred. The Greenwood is his Kingdom and he loves and protects everything in it. Including, but not limited to, the Silvan Elves (his kin), birds, trees, rivers, bunnies, White Stags.

I think it is very deep of PJ to put this kind of imagery into his films. It adds dimension and character. Thanks Peter!

Please, call me Ve.

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Aug 12 2014, 8:55pm

Post #68 of 68 (624 views)
Shortcut
Just a little more to add to the White Stag thing: I took a good look at the [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil scenes last night a noticed a long shot of the throne with the spikey motive of Thranduil's crown. The scepter does not look to be carved at all, but does look like there are some small, shimmering points of light on it. I can not tell if they are white gems of pure starlight or camera glare. The wood of the crown looks like petrified to me. I don't know though.

Please, call me Ve.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.