Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Does this trailer make you reluctant to see it end? (Spoiler?)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 8:24pm

Post #1 of 12 (747 views)
Shortcut
Does this trailer make you reluctant to see it end? (Spoiler?) Can't Post

Yes, the battle will be epic, but knowing what's coming - not just the deaths, but the madness of Thorin - makes me wonder if I really want to see it end. It's crazy, but I feel like I've invested 2 years into these movies (yeah, I'm an obsessive fan; crushing on Thorin doesn't help anyEvilHeart), driven my family CRAZY with all my excitement for any scrap of news and repeated watchings of AUJ and DOS, whining about how much I want to go There and Back Again to Middle Earth/New Zealand (saving my money for that), even learning to play "I See Fire" and "Song of the Lonely Mountain" on my guitar. I really don't know what I'm going to do with myself after Dec. 17th. (Doesn't help that my youngest is moving into college dorms this fall, either.) I'm not sure if the original trilogy rated as high as this one does, it's ridiculous I know but part of me thinks I might be better off NOT seeing it in theaters, but instead waiting for the DVD to come out so that I can skip the tragic death scenes and the ending (oh, who am I kidding???) and try to keep it going in my mind/heart/stupid fanfic. I mean, it took my daughter a few years to finally watch the last Harry Potter movie for that very reason; it really was the end of an era for her, and Dec. 17th will be the end of an era for me as well. Guess I'll have to find something new to obsess about - maybe my granddaughter?

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2014, 8:43pm

Post #2 of 12 (448 views)
Shortcut
It's definitely the end of an era. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is more than just the end of the last few years of the Hobbit movies being released. It's the end of an era that started over a decade ago with the release of the first teaser for the Lord of the Rings (and even before that with all the cast announcements and such). I've spent a big chunk of my life waiting for the Hobbit to finally be made into a live action movie. Now we've been given three movies, and the last one is almost here. I'm actually really grateful that it ended up being a trilogy now if only because it helped make everything last a little longer. But of course the journey won't be completely over for me personally until I have all six extended editions, so there's still another year before it's technically over.Wink

I don't think I'm necessarily reluctant to see it end though. There's been enough waiting and anticipation for me at this point.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jul 29 2014, 8:45pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 8:45pm

Post #3 of 12 (446 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

What is the point if one is reluctant to see it in the end - it is meant to be seen.

I know how you mean it... but all the emotion and deaths make we want to see it, not reluctant. Not at all.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 9:21pm

Post #4 of 12 (396 views)
Shortcut
I always said we must enjoy the filming journey though it will always be [In reply to] Can't Post

a case of "you can't have your cake and eat it too" as the joy of the film making ends in a film. "You can’t enjoy both of two desirable but mutually exclusive alternatives."...unless you avoid the films which would be such a pointless act...like never finishing a book.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/...-cake-and-eat-it-too

But, I share your sentiment, as we all knew it would eventually conclude...but not this year...with the EE version next year. Such is life.

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 9:35pm

Post #5 of 12 (381 views)
Shortcut
You are not the only one doing these crazy things! There are many of us. [In reply to] Can't Post

I went through all the excitement with the Trilogy and now again with the Hobbit, and cannot believe all of this time has passed and it is coming to an end! It will be the end of an era. But I will see BO5A at 12:00 a.m. on December 17, go to the see it in the theater multiple times and buy both the theatrical and extended versions. At least we will have the extended version to look forward to!

I still hold out hope that PJ will do something else Tolkien-related over these next few years.

Please, call me Ve.

Seaber
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 9:39pm

Post #6 of 12 (380 views)
Shortcut
It's not so bad... [In reply to] Can't Post

End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

I'm looking forward to the future. The EE and anything that may ever follow.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 9:40pm

Post #7 of 12 (371 views)
Shortcut
I think I understand the sentiment... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is sad to see it come to an end.

But I think you would probably regret not experiencing it more than the sadness of seeing it all come to an end, right?

The beauty of books and movies are that we have them to enjoy over and over again.

And while Peter Jackson's run in Middle Earth is coming to a close, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Lord of the Rings made again down the road.

I hope you go and enjoy it.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 10:13pm

Post #8 of 12 (356 views)
Shortcut
I'm not looking forward to the death scenes, either... [In reply to] Can't Post

but after watching the teaser trailer three times in a row, I have to see Thorin on the big screen one last time (even though there's a good chance I'll see it more than once, I just hope those haters keep quiet during the dreadful moments, or else I'm going to hunt them down afterwards! Well, not really, but I'd like to give them a piece of my mind much like Thorin did to Thranduil in the Woodland Realm). For starters, the new HFR 3D doesn't get released on Blu-ray or DVD (that I know of), so the theater will be the only time I see this version, and secondly Thorin looks much better on the big screen (and in 3D), than on a small 28 inch TV screen (though this is the biggest television I've ever had so far). Just remember, there's always fan fiction. If you don't like a certain thing, you can always change it. Most fan fics are "what if" scenarios anyways, so it's not like it's wrong to alter the ending. After all, it's your story, you can shape it the way you like (and why would I want to write about something that will depress me to no end).Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 10:49pm

Post #9 of 12 (334 views)
Shortcut
I'll say that I enjoyed the trailer... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but no, I think I'd like to see PJ's involvement in Middle-earth end here. PJ has had a good run, and credit where it's due. Truth be told, I'd like to see someone else's vision of these stories, even though I know it won't likely happen for at least 20 years or so.

That said, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we got some movie based off of a few scraps of notes in the appendices (there will be no Silmarillion, nor Children of Hurin, for a looooong time). This is an extremely lucrative franchise and I'm sure there are movie execs out there right now discussing how they can milk more out of the Middle-earth brand.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2014, 12:29am

Post #10 of 12 (295 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Rickster
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 5:37am

Post #11 of 12 (253 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps if the end is there, the family agrees to make movies about the other books
Who knows how many surprises there still are

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2014, 10:06am

Post #12 of 12 (234 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for this quote I love...// [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.