The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Trailer screencaps

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 5:06pm

Post #1 of 25 (1304 views)
Shortcut
Trailer screencaps Can't Post

Ok, so I was procrastinating from other things had nothing to do this morning so I made a full set of screencaps from the BotFA teaser trailer. I made sure that the video was set at the highest quality and I cropped out the black bars from the tops and bottoms of the photos. Other than that they are untouched and you should be able to zoom in a few times as well as view them in a slideshow format if you want. I'm new to photobucket, but I think I got it to put them in the right order.

For everyone's analysis and enjoyment:Smile

http://s1287.photobucket.com/...rary/BotFA%20trailer

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 5:13pm

Post #2 of 25 (770 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing, Eruvandi! Smile

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 5:30pm

Post #3 of 25 (756 views)
Shortcut
Ooh La La [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic
Miss Starlight with your auburn hair
Miss Starlight with your skin so fair
Miss Starlight with your pale green eyes
Miss Starlight how you mesmerize

Am I right, guys?Cool

Am I right?Unimpressed

Oh yeah, not a lot of folks like this particular she-elf.Unsure

Aw well!Smile

Nice job, Eruvandi.

P.S. I am now aware that my "poem" sounds like a cheerleading chant.Crazy

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Jul 29 2014, 5:40pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 5:59pm

Post #4 of 25 (722 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great job.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 6:11pm

Post #5 of 25 (720 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done, and thank you.

Two things I noticed, looking at them. The chariot on the frozen river seems to have spikes sticking out from the wheels - like a Roman chariot. And the cart-thing that appears later, with Bard in, isn't the same. Seeing it in the trailer I thought it was...

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 6:27pm

Post #6 of 25 (711 views)
Shortcut
Bard in the cart [In reply to] Can't Post

Are those his children that he's rocketing towards? Dangerous move, IMO.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 6:27pm

Post #7 of 25 (749 views)
Shortcut
Thank you - one thing I noticed from these [In reply to] Can't Post

The overhead shot of four dwarves walking across the bridge - is that Kili, Fili, Oin and Bofur reaching Erebor after returning from Laketown?

http://s1287.photobucket.com/...html?sort=9&o=45

Maybe that has already been noted in other threads. I haven't had a chance to read through all the posts :). But I just noticed it from your screencaps. Thank you!

Anubis
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 6:59pm

Post #8 of 25 (667 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

The trailer was half as good as it deserved but two times as good as it needed to be, and half as good of what was necessary to be two times better than the trailer I expected.

There goes my Bilbo-ish sentence, make of it what you will.Angelic

So, to nitpick a little, I noticed that Thorin´s armor, nice as it may be, is an exact replica of Thror´s one, probably the same set, come to think of it. I think PJ´s crew decided to either go the easy way or try to emphasize that Thorin is a younger Thror, or maybe both.

This armor geek thinks that they should have at least change the color or the design a little bit.Mad

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 7:00pm

Post #9 of 25 (679 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they are [In reply to] Can't Post

and Fili is leading them down the stairs...

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 7:03pm

Post #10 of 25 (671 views)
Shortcut
Yes, apparently [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, I think so. Definitely a risky move, I agree. I wonder if it's possible that they were being cornered by an orc(s), or warg(s), or something and Bard had no choice but to rocket down the hill in order to rescue them?

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 7:09pm

Post #11 of 25 (637 views)
Shortcut
*applause* [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I like your poem!Cool Thranduil and Legolas may be my elven crushes, but Tauriel is my fave fighting female elf.Smile She kicks butt and takes names, as my mom likes to say.Wink

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 7:10pm

Post #12 of 25 (651 views)
Shortcut
Good observation! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't sure which dwarves it was, but I think you're right.Smile

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Jul 29 2014, 7:11pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 7:14pm

Post #13 of 25 (638 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure it's something like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if his children are going to be playing a fairly significant part in the remaining movie then?

Retro315
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 7:44pm

Post #14 of 25 (601 views)
Shortcut
Much obliged. [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep these lovely shots close - I'm sure we'll all want to compare them with "finished SFX shots" down the road.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 7:50pm

Post #15 of 25 (589 views)
Shortcut
Hard to say [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to say at this point how big their roles will be, but they sure seem to be popping up here and there. In a TORn panel from one of last year's comic cons, I remember them saying that a scene was filmed that included one of Bard's daughters handing out blankets to the Lake-town refugees after the town is destroyed. I also remember that pic of Bard (wearing the blue jacket, I might add) and his children standing around, looking at something, so they're definitely getting some screen time.

All of it reminds me of a question I've asked when reading the book too: Where did the women and children of Lake-town go during the BOFA? Did they hide somewhere or were they forced to participate, because it was basically a sneak attack? There was no warning, IIRC.

From the descriptions of the battle in the book, I hate to think of Bard's youngest daughter, or any children her age running around in the midst of such intense fighting. How could someone that young defend herself against orcs/wargs/etc,? I'm hoping that this will be addressed in the movie, since, IIRC it wasn't addressed in the book, and I've always wondered about it. Just a quick scene where the children and those who are too old or unable to fight are given a good place to hide would be fine with me.

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 8:50pm

Post #16 of 25 (560 views)
Shortcut
At least his older daughter but... [In reply to] Can't Post

could the guy next to her be some kind of servant of the Master (or the Master himself) who keeps her hostage? So it's Bard trying to safe his daughter and that's why he is racing downhill torwards the two with a sword in his hand.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 8:55pm

Post #17 of 25 (588 views)
Shortcut
One nice symbol I noticed concerning Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

In that one shot - I guess it's after the battle or at least between several attack waves - Thranduil walks through the battlefield and overlooks dead bodies of mostly his own soldiers. Next to him in this shot is a statue of a white doe. Since we know that the white stag is a symbol of Thranduil himself what does this white doe represent? There's some meaning to it.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/...ale2_zpsd16cf3ef.jpg

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 9:06pm

Post #18 of 25 (543 views)
Shortcut
Nah [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's brand in the coat that matches his dad's.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 9:53pm

Post #19 of 25 (526 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, very nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Please, call me Ve.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 30 2014, 12:57am

Post #20 of 25 (499 views)
Shortcut
My monitor just spontaneously combusted [In reply to] Can't Post

Methinks, in the end, this won't be a fangirl fun movie, too full of sorrow. And that scene - and SOUND of the dwarves marching out in their armor is one of the
grimmest shots, for me.Frown

But I can still dance about a bit - in this case for me re the superb Thorin-in-crown cap - best I have seen yet!
And preserved for eternity, of course.HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

PS. Can't wait to see more of the dwarf armour, like Thranduil's wonderful armor it looks superb - e.g. Thorin has a raven on the shoulder plate? Don't know the right term.
And that crown needs to be revamped into a ring or a cuff bracelet and sold by WETA, immediately.HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Thanks Eruvandi! - this was DEFINITELY the most important thing you could have done todayWink

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2014, 1:59am

Post #21 of 25 (486 views)
Shortcut
*grabs fire extinguisher* [In reply to] Can't Post

Methinks, in the end, this won't be a fangirl fun movie, too full of sorrow. And that scene - and SOUND of the dwarves marching out in their armor is one of the
grimmest shots, for me.Frown

I know.Frown That's going to be a really heavy scene in context with the movie, I think. I wonder if it's before or after Bilbo has delivered the Arkenstone to the elves? Also, the look going between Bilbo and Thorin in that scene...I can't quite figure it out. Bilbo looks almost disappointed and horrified that the dwarves are going to war and Throin looks like he's thinking "I'm not backing down now."FrownFrown

But I can still dance about a bit - in this case for me re the superb Thorin-in-crown cap - best I have seen yet!
And preserved for eternity, of course.HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

I took extra special care to catch him at his most majestic, just for you!SmileHeart The lighting in that scene is just perfect with the way the sun lights Thorin's face and reflects off the crown. It gives me chills!Angelic

PS. Can't wait to see more of the dwarf armour, like Thranduil's wonderful armor it looks superb - e.g. Thorin has a raven on the shoulder plate? Don't know the right term.
And that crown needs to be revamped into a ring or a cuff bracelet and sold by WETA, immediately.HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Ooooh, I hadn't noticed that, but you're right! That is definitely a raven on the...um...uh...*looks to Bing which leads to Wikipedia* pauldron! The piece of armor that covers the shoulder is called a pauldron.Smile Now that I'm looking at that pic again, is it just me or do the two black parts on the front of Thorin's crown that meet in the middle and point down look like ravens too? Cool!

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 30 2014, 5:11am

Post #22 of 25 (456 views)
Shortcut
The end of all things [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, the look going between Bilbo and Thorin in that scene...I can't quite figure it out. Bilbo looks almost disappointed and horrified that the dwarves are going to war and Throin looks like he's thinking "I'm not backing down now."

I think that's it exactly. Thorin is completely implacable, they all are. It reminds me of the look Thorin gave Bard on the steps at Laketown. Seems like too much for a Hobbit to bear, but horribly, a line from the Thorin FB page re the Bilbo poster "Now you understand"Frown. Someone wrote that, but even with the immensity of Erebor I think - or fantasize anyway - that Bilbo here is really getting what it means to be a dwarf, among other things. And they WILL fight to the death, and Bilbo can't stop any of this.Frown

Unfortunately I also think because Bilbo didn't "get" that, that he wouldn't understand the immensity of the betrayal of taking the stone. *Sigh*. Although the movie has it that the stone will madden Thorin, or is it the gold? Kind of murky there!Unsure

ANYWAY. Your efforts were REALLY appreciated and you are truly of TaurielHeartSmile, to be thinking of others, amidst all this frenzy! And you had the wherewithal to look up that armour term when I was being lazy - but I just love that. Between the raven (and other animal motifs) and the elegance of Thranduil's armor I am going nuts here - I want all kinds of tapestries and scarves and jewelry made that echo all of this. Yes, Thorin's crown has the raven motif (or maybe it was one of Thror's crowns). Tho no sign of any ravens yet, maybe they will just be an accent - birds flying high above the battle. I can see tho after reading the difficulties of getting Smaug to speak and having that look natural for a dragon, that PJ & co. might not want to tackle a talking raven - might be hard to do that and not have it look cutesy?Unsure

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2014, 2:34pm

Post #23 of 25 (418 views)
Shortcut
Talking animals [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, PJ and co don't seem interested in doing talking animals of any kind. If actual ravens show up at all, I have a feeling they'll be used more like carrier pigeons than anything else.

Re the trailer causing crafty inclinations: I know! I keep wanting to design and make things to reflect the movie somehow, but everything I can think of, I either don't have time or don't know how to make! *sigh* I must improve my craft skills.Unsure

With a memory
That awakened a dream,

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Jul 30 2014, 2:38pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 30 2014, 4:04pm

Post #24 of 25 (406 views)
Shortcut
Smaug is a miracle re speech! [In reply to] Can't Post

But since I got the Smaug book too, there's whole paragraphs dealing with how they faced the problem of making Smaug's jaws and lips flexible enough to enunciate - even the size of the scales had to be factored in. And some consideration was given to just using telepathy, but think how dull that would have been?

But a raven beak is more fixed...it could probably be done, and for all we know there WILL be ravens, but IMO it would have been easier to create the Talking Purse and they dropped that.

but everything I can think of, I either don't have time or don't know how to make! *sigh* I must improve my craft skills.Unsure

Same here! In theory for instance I can see a way to make a raven bracelet or ring (cut out and solder from sheets of brass/silver). Or use this "silver clay" stuff that is actual fine metal in clay, that you can mold, and bake - but that takes experience to use$$$$. Just don't have the tools, knowledge, or money. Somehow I am going to do the Durin tapestry but am frustrated that wasn't put out on cloth in the first place. And as you say, time is a factor in all of this.

LOL of course if I were rich, I could just commission all the stuff I want, but I will be lucky if one day I can get a Thranduil sword replica.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2014, 6:39pm

Post #25 of 25 (388 views)
Shortcut
I love that shot of Gandalf riding the horse. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very Lord of the Rings.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.