The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Keeping Thorin's Roar ...

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 2:16pm

Post #1 of 20 (948 views)
Shortcut
Keeping Thorin's Roar ... Can't Post

If, like me, you've already seen the new BOTFA teaser more times than "a couple", you might have noticed Thorin's roar ...

Bard looks up asking:
"Will you have peace or war?"

Thorin replies:
"I will have war"

On the "war" word, his voice subtly changes into a kind of inhuman roar that might be an indication of his decline to madness.

I'm sure it was done for the teaser's effect, but I'm actually hoping we get that barest hint of "animalistic grunt" in that shot - just to highlight Thorin's madness (akin to Bilbo's lizard-snarl in Rivendell, FOTR).

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jul 29 2014, 2:17pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 2:20pm

Post #2 of 20 (617 views)
Shortcut
he is trying to go Benedict, after all its Dragon Sickness [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Survivor to The Battle for The Fifth Trailer

Rickster
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 2:23pm

Post #3 of 20 (615 views)
Shortcut
300 [In reply to] Can't Post

Again.. it is sadly the same WAR as they used in the 300 movies.
With the war between Greece/Spara and the giant Persian

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2014, 2:26pm

Post #4 of 20 (621 views)
Shortcut
RA's voice is always so perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

for whatever scene he's in. And, of course, he's not the only one in the movie whose voice is amazing, but the voice he's given Thorin is truly epic, and so perfect for that character. I think we can expect only great things in the movie.

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 2:31pm

Post #5 of 20 (620 views)
Shortcut
Low-point of the teaser, imho [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked the teaser... but without the longer conversation that "war" was really not that great, imho and indeed reminding me way too much of 300.

Given RA's great use of language I am sure it will be great in context though.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 29 2014, 2:32pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 2:52pm

Post #6 of 20 (587 views)
Shortcut
98% of all dialogue in LOTR? [In reply to] Can't Post

was"FIXED".. in ADR..
modulated by
World-Class Sound Engineers in Wellington...(& signed OFF by PJ.)

SO, don't THINK RA is doin' THIS ALL on his own...?
Bomby knowzzz.. to call...it? VOICE."Source Material"

Gigantic Sound Boards can TWEEK any voice to the most emotional in ANY film.

RA's Baritone Voice WON
Out
Over hundreds
Of
Other...Candidates?
sooo...give the "SOUND Crafts" people some credit.

May it BE? that Bomby thinks the word

AWESOME.. hazz lost ALL of itzz... "AWESOMEness" Very few words are sooo, OVER-Used..?
AWESOME izz. ONE of them..

(May it be? a Thesaurus might help?)

adt100
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 4:17pm

Post #7 of 20 (509 views)
Shortcut
He would have made a good Aragorn.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Viggo is alomst perfect in the role, though I always thought when it came to the battle scenes (and in particular at the Black Gate) he just seemed to lack a bit of the power/strength of Richard, largely due to his voice. Great in tender moments, but just lacking the 'roar' for want of a better word.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 4:27pm

Post #8 of 20 (488 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree and think there is a "musicality" and power to RA's voice [In reply to] Can't Post

...that most other actors don't have, baritone or not.

Musicality? His timbre? It frustrates me that I don't have the vocabulary I need to adequately express what I hear - and actually feel, since it's a visceral response to his voice work, that I rarely have re actors - there are some, but not many. Normally it's a reaction I have to certain singers re voice work.

Certainly not to any of the folks in 300 for myself. There is just this utter richness to Thorin's voice, powered up or the exquisite work when they enter Erebor "I know these walls". Every nuance is perfection IMO.HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Plus just sayin' the look in Thorin's eyes when he says that line - utter fury. Which I can't blame him for, because while it is just Bard in the trailer, I would not be too happy if Bard is there w. a bunch of elves and/or folks w. weapons.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 5:15pm

Post #9 of 20 (486 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, i think RA kind of [In reply to] Can't Post

overdoes the low voice thing, like he's trying too hard at times, and i especially noticed it with that "war" line. Buti realize i'm certainly in the minority on that one.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 6:22pm

Post #10 of 20 (448 views)
Shortcut
Well, no offence intended but on this one I hope you are in a minority.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... because I think Richard Armitage is an outstanding actor who has given Thorin such intensity and power - and as he's also making his mark just now on the London Stage in The Crucible I'd like to believe that his performance could be recognised come the award season. Unlikely, perhaps, given the nature of the film, but I can't imagine any other actor who could have brought to this quite what he has - and the important part is yet to come. And when you hear him speak he seems to be so modest, and so dedicated to what he does, that it would be good to see him acknowledged for it.

FoFo64
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 6:26pm

Post #11 of 20 (431 views)
Shortcut
Haha regarding Viggo that is kinda true! [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually have an inside joke with my friends where we recite Aragorn's speech at the Black Gate with a nasally high pitched voice loool. Kinda like what he sounds like. But you know what, I find it entirely endearing. And I still think it's a powerful speech and good delivery even if his voice isn't as deep as Richard's. And at that point we already believed Viggo was Aragorn, so to me it wasn't distracting at all, it was just Aragorn's voice.

'It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing...such a little thing...' Boromir; Fellowship of the Ring Film

(This post was edited by FoFo64 on Jul 29 2014, 6:27pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 7:44pm

Post #12 of 20 (382 views)
Shortcut
Oh, i'm definitely in the minority, [In reply to] Can't Post

especially around here!

He has been fine as Thorin, i just haven't latched on to him as i have some other characters. Which is fine-- they can't all be my favorite characters.

But i do really enjoy RA in interviews (as i do all the cast). He seems such a nice, humble, thoughtful fellow, and he can be quite funny, too. I look forward to seeing him in some other stuff.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 8:02pm

Post #13 of 20 (383 views)
Shortcut
I saw him live on stage [In reply to] Can't Post

in The Crucible in London a few weeks ago and shall be going again tomorrow: it is such a magnificent production of a superlative play.

And so, Bomby, I have heard him live, filling a 1000 seat theatre, without microphones, just projection. And I've always thought that his voice is one of the best things about him. It is so well-modulated and he plays it like a musical instrument.

In the gentle, quiet scenes with his wife, he can show love and tenderness; in the final scenes where his anger and frustration with the stupid judges overwhelms him, John Proctor's deep roaring gives Thorin a run for his money, lifts the rafters and makes the seats vibrate.

There is something about his voice and the way that he uses it that stirs deep emotions within people. By the end of the play, both men and women are crying. Here's an account by a woman who writes theatre reviews:

"About 20 minutes from the climax, my seat started shaking – it was the middle-aged businessman next to me sobbing uncontrollably. He could not stop and struggled to muffle the sound. At the curtain call, I hugged him and handed him a tissue as consolation. Then I quickly doled out the rest of my tissues to his daughter and a group of women in the row in front, all with tears still streaming down their faces."

You can already hear so much being conveyed in the trailer when he says: "Will you follow me, one last time?" By the end of the film, I'm sure we'll all be in tears, just like the audience at The Old Vic.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 9:57pm

Post #14 of 20 (345 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I think it plays... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they keep the guttural sound to his voice.

He sounds hungry for it.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 10:08pm

Post #15 of 20 (354 views)
Shortcut
When I first heard RA's voice in AUJ, I thought it must have been [In reply to] Can't Post

dubbed to make him sound more like a Dwarf. It took a little while to catch on that it actually was RA's voice.

Please, call me Ve.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 11:07pm

Post #16 of 20 (335 views)
Shortcut
*grins* wherever you are I'm giving you an ovation [In reply to] Can't Post

Viggo is alomst perfect in the role, though I always thought when it came to the battle scenes (and in particular at the Black Gate) he just seemed to lack a bit of the power/strength of Richard, largely due to his voice. Great in tender moments, but just lacking the 'roar' for want of a better word.

Though I fear I beg to disagree re being almost perfect for the role, tho I can't suggest anyone else. I guess I thought he was fine, but unlike RA at this point, or Martin Freeman, or Ian McKellan, or Lee Pace,
I don't think of VM as someone I could not switch out. He's fine for me and there are some moments I really like, e.g. seeing Gandalf again "you fell..."

But, since I love a great voice (James Earl Jones, for one) alas, I do cringe at the ROTK speech. For some reason Braveheart always pops into my head at that exact second, and not in a good way by comparison.
I wouldn't say Mel Gibson is as good as RA, but there's power and gusto there - and where art Russell Crowe?

RA's Thorin is one I have backed up and replayed scenes time and again and cranked the volume on, just because he's just so gosh-darn magnificent. Just to hear him speak. HeartHeartHeart

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 11:13pm

Post #17 of 20 (339 views)
Shortcut
Well, Shire Horse in LIVE Theater there is A THING [In reply to] Can't Post

called many, many Rehearsals (Including THEIr Homework?) Maybe 40 to 50 of them
Depending on the SHOW, BEFORE they jump on THE Stage.
(TRUST an old Retired Stagehand)

Each Time, just like a Movie Directors make NOTES.. AND Video Tapes any SET of Dialogue.

They study them, Rehearse again & Again.

WEll, Once the Director likes!.. what Any Stage Performer
is Doing ..THEY?
sign OFF on ACT ONE, Then ACT TWO on ANY Actor's Performance,

Then there are many Dress Rehearals..(Also Video-Taped).THEN "FINALDRESS" Rehearsals, in Which Critics & Drama Students are invited..
ONLY THEN, do they OPEN.

IT becomes Muscle (& VOICE) Memory...If they can hit their, MARK under Computer Programmed lighting..
with hidden Microphones in the Row Lights on the Apron.. Or Overhead .ShotGun Mics Controled by SoundGuys
At the "Front of the House"... Usually in the Mezzanine Level above Orchestra Level)

If Principle Actors or EVEN any Lowly "Non-Speaking-Spear-Carrier" can Concentrate on All that WORK?
then, IT Looks like they are Making it UP.. as they along...

FRESH Each performance....

TOO MUCH is spent on EXPENSIVE Production CREW..to have any actor let Any of THEM DOWN...

WHAT you see RA doing? ALSO has a LOT to do
with what going on BACKSTAGE?...To make HIM ACT Great?

Bomby has worked on SOoo..many Rehearsals & Performances of "Lion King" "Phantom" "Wicked". (Countless other shows) etc...over TOO many years to know just how Actors do it?

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 30 2014, 1:33am

Post #18 of 20 (330 views)
Shortcut
but Bombi [In reply to] Can't Post

WHAT you see RA doing? ALSO has a LOT to do
with what going on BACKSTAGE?...To make HIM ACT Great?

RA's background in musical theater, classical training, and VOICE WORK is well known - take a look at his biography. Even Dean O'Gorman has a funny story about his first week
on set in the trailer park, and Philippa Boyens pointing out RA's trailer and evidently w. a tinge of awe or something like that, saying RA is in there doing voice work.

And of course there's been a fair number of commentary re UK actors many times having the kind of training that U.S. actors often don't get, and ergo are often
better choices for period movies. RA would probably be first to say he gets plenty of support. But IMO the camera doesn't lie and is ruthless, he's put in his time,
has ability, and most of all can project that through the lens. And a voice that's like a song.

Also, how many fine performers got weeded out - a lot of folks evidently read for Thorin. IMO whatever they paid RA, it's not enough.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2014, 4:56am

Post #19 of 20 (314 views)
Shortcut
Please not Bombi,, sounds "Female" or like Bambi? [In reply to] Can't Post

BOMBY (w/ a "Y")
just spent SOooo..years working in StageCraft..

Yet? was trying to explain that
"BackstageHands".. just don't
get much Credit?

IT really is a Shame..?
THEY get Worldwide Acclaim &
Careers can make them Millionaires
GET HUGE FEES, since they ARE
"EyeCandy" on Camera?

ANY Actor is an Industry?
THEIR Small Business can become HUGE!

Which is where the "Entourage" comes into PLAY?
& and often
SWEATY Technicians take
Home pay?...alone
Hoping...to
Have enough $$
to eat @ FastFood joints
& trying to MAKE RENT..?

Bomby is NOT trying to SINGLE OUT...
RA...NoWay!

PJ is Different in soo many ways..
Example:
"Ferney" wrote here about being Picked
to play a Non-Speaking Role

The Villain with the Blind Eye? sitting in Aragorn's Spot
in "The Prancing Pony..(He REally does have a Blind Eye),

Yet? he IS a In-DEmand VOICE Talent.. in Auckland?

A little Scared, ..PJ & Phillipa invited him over to eat with them.? THEY... made him FEEL like a KING!
THAT DAY! (YOU won't find that
Happening in
Hollywood?)

Which made Bombyzz
HEART SOAR.... (Not just for Ferney but for.. PJ)

Score ONE
for the
Underdog!!

I Honestly hope you understand..
Those of us "Out of the Spotlight"
are never asked for?.. for... their autograph? OR have Lego CharACTORs made of them?

Do you want to the autograph of the poor guy who mops the Floor every Night @ The Stone Street Studios?

BUT PJ likely knows his name,& his wife's name, too!

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jul 30 2014, 4:57am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 31 2014, 1:50am

Post #20 of 20 (280 views)
Shortcut
I hear Yah! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you for clarifying - AND your post spoke volumes about what was not said, and what life might be like for those who
are not the "eye candy". Think I saw a little of that in the last blog, when folks were talking in about their next job and the sad
empty warehouse - I don't like to watch that vblog, actually, it's too sad.

BTW, don't often think about what fellow posters might be like, it's much more fun to view it all as being like a shaman in the
woods and I am "communing with the spirits."

But if I HAD to picture yah, seeing as everyone I have ever met from Colorado, California, Oregon and Washington seems
disgustingly athletic and healthy, nope, no fawns. I'd GUESS you are this big huge guy that looks like Grizzly Adams, and maybe
took me on a hike, powered up some 70 degree angle slope in the mountains, and are sitting on top of some pinnacle
telling me and anyone else to get a move on, while you sip wine from a camel pouch and enjoy the view.

Meanwhile I'm face down in the scree 200 feet below, gasping for air, and the only thing that gets me moving is I happen
to notice the mountain lion relaxing in the tree idly licking its chops, AND there is a scorpion crawling on my leg.
So after clawing my way to the mountain top you tell me we are going to rappel down *wheee* and then do some class 5
rapids, so we can do the amateur bison ride later.ShockedShockedShocked

So no, LOL if I HAD to picture yah, it wouldn't be "Bambi". Probably someone who is nice but also carries suitable weaponry.
And can breathe easily at altitude, which I found out re my one and only and brief time in the Grand Canyon can be painful
if YOU DIDN'T BRING WATER LIKE YOU WERE ADVISED.UnsureUnsureUnsure

I might be dead wrong about all this, but definitely NOT Bambi LOLWink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.