Jul 29 2014, 1:06pm

Post #1 of 21 (1231 views)
Shortcut
Kili's Armour Can't Post

So we have this shot in the trailer:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/...600/screenshot25.png

And then this, which appears to be during the battle:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/...600/screenshot48.png

Where have Kili's pauldrons and breastplate gone? Obviously it will leave him vulnerable (and this may be important), but I wonder why he jettisons it. What happens? I do hope the Dwarves storm out of Erebor in their full array as seen in the first shot. I don't want them to just put the fanciful armour on for show, perhaps during the confrontation with Bard and co, and then wear less in battle, rather like in these pictures:

http://static.tumblr.com/...orin-fili-poster.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/...presentationpack.jpg

There was some speculation that this would be our heroes' battle armour, which disappointed me greatly because Richard Armitage spoke about the Dwarves having this amazing armour for the battle. So when I initially saw that in the trailer I was relieved, but that second shot of Kili has me concerned again.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jul 29 2014, 1:13pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 1:12pm

Post #2 of 21 (901 views)
Shortcut
Ravenhill [In reply to] Can't Post

Might the picture of Kili at Ravenhill not even be during the battle?

Kili seems to be on the chariot... if they are on their way to Ravenhill in order to send for Dain, this would happen before the battle.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 1:18pm

Post #3 of 21 (868 views)
Shortcut
Possibly [In reply to] Can't Post

But the sky does look similar to the Bolg and Bilbo scenes thereafter.

There's also the evidence from PJ's last day of filming, in which he posted photos of Thorin (and his doubles) in which he's not wearing armour (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

http://media2.firstshowing.net/...yJul13fullphoto3.jpg

http://averagenobodies.files.wordpress.com/...64-1374845140-27.jpg

Now we all suppose he was filming some climactic stuff from the battle that day, given that Armitage, Turner and O'Gorman were the last three filming (IIRC).

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 1:20pm

Post #4 of 21 (855 views)
Shortcut
My guess . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . Is that there will be a good amount of preliminary action before anybody suits up for the grand battle.

P.S. I'm also relieved that the dwarves of the company will be wearing actual armour.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 1:24pm

Post #5 of 21 (871 views)
Shortcut
Kili has to come all the way from Lake Town before the battle... [In reply to] Can't Post

And there may be other pre-battle scenes we know nothing about. Even on the trailer there's the scene of him lifting the statue - and the trailer scenes aren't necessarily in sequence, so you can't say he jettisons the armour because in one scene he wears it and in another he doesn't.

Hold on - it's far too soon to be disappointed!

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 1:29pm

Post #6 of 21 (834 views)
Shortcut
I hope you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps I am reading too much into all this, but do we fans ever do otherwise? Wink

In any case I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the Dwarves will suit up for the showdown with Bard, go back inside, and some of them will remove some of their armour before they emerge from Erebor (for reasons I'm not yet sure about). I suspect that Kili, Fili and Thorin will indeed fight as depicted on those stamps, because I really don't see them having much time for costume changes (and what would make them drop their armour halfway through a battle anyway? Sure it's probably heavy but that's how Dwarves roll. And it doesn't look hot - quite the opposite).

Again I really hope I'm wrong, but I feel the evidence is pointing towards something like this.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jul 29 2014, 1:40pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 1:39pm

Post #7 of 21 (799 views)
Shortcut
True - very true! ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 1:41pm

Post #8 of 21 (803 views)
Shortcut
Sorry for the edit [In reply to] Can't Post

I got all pessimistic again and added some more. You may wish to edit yours lest you want people to think you agree with me. Tongue

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 1:48pm

Post #9 of 21 (823 views)
Shortcut
I wonder why they needed an extra small scale double? [In reply to] Can't Post

Saving money by building smaller sets, haha?

Name
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 2:02pm

Post #10 of 21 (803 views)
Shortcut
To change the subject a little [In reply to] Can't Post

In the second link you posted Kili seems to have grown out his beard some, almost resembling Thorin's.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Azaghâl
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 2:13pm

Post #11 of 21 (802 views)
Shortcut
Off topic [In reply to] Can't Post

So much Kili love again in this trailer.. Poor Fili. After all he is only the heir to the throne of Erebor and the line of Durin. Not really important. But the beardless, elf-loving, arrow shooting, mothers-favorite, super hero Kili is MUCH more important.

To heck with you PJ! It was Fili's turn to shine. Too bad that in DOS half of Fili's lines were: "Kili!"

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-męnu!*

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 2:15pm

Post #12 of 21 (766 views)
Shortcut
Too late, too late..... The moment for editing has passed me by. [In reply to] Can't Post

So may I just point out, in the interests of clarity, justice and apple pie, that the only thing I was agreeing with in Shagrat's previous post was this....

Perhaps I am reading too much into all this, but do we fans ever do otherwise? Wink

As for the rest, as far as I can see, there ain't no evidence at all and the idea of the dwarves taking their armour OFF to go into battle is, well, unlikely

Reading too much into things, on the other hand, and worrying about stuff that hasn't happened seems to be an epidemic....

(BTW, I doubt if anyone around here would have thought I did agree... Tongue )

(This post was edited by dormouse on Jul 29 2014, 2:19pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 2:18pm

Post #13 of 21 (793 views)
Shortcut
The battle is gonna have several stages and Ii´m afraid that is gonna be a SIEGE [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Survivor to The Battle for The Fifth Trailer

Macfeast
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 2:26pm

Post #14 of 21 (765 views)
Shortcut
My guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is that the small scale double is the one to be carried off by Beorn (played by someone in greensuit).

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Jul 29 2014, 2:34pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 2:35pm

Post #15 of 21 (735 views)
Shortcut
Makes sense! [In reply to] Can't Post

Could also be Beorn in human form.

(This post was edited by Carne on Jul 29 2014, 2:36pm)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 2:37pm

Post #16 of 21 (725 views)
Shortcut
I share your sentiments // [In reply to] Can't Post

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 2:51pm

Post #17 of 21 (719 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Fili. It's disappointing when just Kili constantly gets the attention. Crazy

Keep smiling! Smile

"Do not spoil the wonder with haste!" Tolkien

"Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth." Satre

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2014, 6:21pm

Post #18 of 21 (649 views)
Shortcut
poor Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully he'll get at least a couple extra moments to shine in the extended edition.

At least he gets a really cool looking axe in the trailer, and he's finally wearing blue.Cool

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 6:24pm

Post #19 of 21 (629 views)
Shortcut
Decent suit of armour too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 7:09pm

Post #20 of 21 (616 views)
Shortcut
maybe it's just a glimpse or two [In reply to] Can't Post

and don't forget it's only a teaser trailer..Wink

But seriously..
-it's Fili who is leading the other three from Erebor downstairs,
- it's Fili who is the first Dwarf when they file away all dressed in golden armour
- it's Fili who is riding on the chariot with probably Balin and Dwalin (but it's surely Fili)
Cross our fingers...

By the way...during the Misty Mountains song, (yes the one shot with Rob Kazinsky), Fili entered the room together with Kili and stood near the mantlepiece and near Thorin....
of course he had to be "shadowed" in order not to show he had another face (but that's another story...)

marillaraina
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 6:10am

Post #21 of 21 (536 views)
Shortcut
subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and don't forget it's only a teaser trailer..Wink

But seriously..
-it's Fili who is leading the other three from Erebor downstairs,
- it's Fili who is the first Dwarf when they file away all dressed in golden armour
- it's Fili who is riding on the chariot with probably Balin and Dwalin (but it's surely Fili)
Cross our fingers...

By the way...during the Misty Mountains song, (yes the one shot with Rob Kazinsky), Fili entered the room together with Kili and stood near the mantlepiece and near Thorin....
of course he had to be "shadowed" in order not to show he had another face (but that's another story...)

Kili's on the chariot too, there's a bit where you can see the bow and arrow he's shooting, along with Balin, Dwalin and Fili. So all four are on the chariot. Interesting all those closest to Thorin.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.