The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Galadriel/Gandalf shot

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 8:51am

Post #1 of 11 (959 views)
Shortcut
The Galadriel/Gandalf shot Can't Post

From the trailer, it looks like Galadriel is "healing" Gandalf right AFTER the battle. Everything is so quiet and silent, or at least it appears this way.

To me that indicates that Gandalf will be hurt massively, the way he is in shape in that shot and that it is likely Galadriel will appear their before Elrond and Saruman are joining.

Then there is that picture from the banner with Elrond and Saruman in the background, looking at them. So both probably they find them in really bad circumstances in Dol Guldur ?

Or could it be that he has been already rescued (by Beorn and/or Radagast) and thats just the silent before the storm ?

Your opinions ?

Spalko
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 9:35am

Post #2 of 11 (616 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Then there is that picture from the banner with Elrond and Saruman in the background, looking at them. So both probably they find them in really bad circumstances in Dol Guldur ?

I wonder if the scene in the banner, where Gandalf and Galadriel are reaching out for each other is before or after the scene we watched in the teaser.

I cannot wait to see which role each of the members of the White Council play in that battle.

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 11:17am

Post #3 of 11 (569 views)
Shortcut
My expectations [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect that Galadriel arrive first, she will try to free Gandalf, she will take him out of cage. After that Sauron will show up and fight with Galadriel, of course Galadriel will lose against him. Maybe during this fight, Gandalf will still be languid. After that Elrond will arrive with elven soldiers of Rivendell or Lothlorien, and slay the orcs in Dol Guldur. But Elrond will fall against Sauron, too. After in the very moment of losing the battle, I expect Saruman will show up and save the day.After Saruman's arrival, Sauron will probably flee and leave Dol Guldur. That explains Chris. Lee's words: "Understanding, sympathy towards Gandalf, towards Galadriel." I myself expect there will be a fight between Nazgul and Saruman.
And 2. possibility: Maybe Saruman will arrive with Elrond and save the day.

Spalko
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 12:15pm

Post #4 of 11 (474 views)
Shortcut
I would like to see that happen too [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 12:31pm

Post #5 of 11 (471 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, in that bunch I see no other than a wizard to confront Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

Would it be Saruman alone or with Radagast?, that remains to be seen

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Survivor to The Battle for The Fifth Trailer

joec_34
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 12:40pm

Post #6 of 11 (454 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't thought of that... [In reply to] Can't Post

I figured that the rest of the White Council would arrive at the same time. Then after they kick butt for a short while, Galadriel seeks out Gandalf while Saruman, Elrond, and maybe Radagast continue the fight. Maybe she finds him after the fight. That's the way I see it going down.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Timdalf
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 5:08pm

Post #7 of 11 (371 views)
Shortcut
Nice idea about Saruman fighting Sauron, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

How could Sauron ever trust and be in league with Saruman and let him be his left (!) hand man in dealing with Rohan et al later?

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 5:51pm

Post #8 of 11 (370 views)
Shortcut
I think Galadriel will show up alone [In reply to] Can't Post

The shot of her bare feet entering the ruins suggests a solitary entrance to me.

I think she comes in alone, heals Gandalf, fights Sauron, is defeated. Then in come Elrond, Saruman and Radagast. Radagast dies. The Council drives Sauron out of the fortress. Galadriel destroys Dol Guldur and sends Gandalf on his way.

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 6:23pm

Post #9 of 11 (344 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

From the screen shot, is Galadriel wearing some kind of armor? Or is it the same clothes? And doesn't she wear any kind of footwear, especially going into battle? The Queen of Lorien (Lady, rather) comes non-armored? We all know what happened to Haldir for not wearing a Helmet!

Or maybe it's just in Gandalf's mind (like how Galadriel spoke to Frodo) but then why the walking part against the fallen rock debris at Dol Guldur (presumably).

Maybe Galadriel will heal Gandalf (she seems to have that power, whether with other stuff like herbs, not sure, but I doubt she will be carrying that to Dol Guldur).

I must say, however, that Saruman, Elrond, Radagast and Galadriel, after Gandalf's warning should NOT be going into Dol Guldur without some kind of army contingent (I'm presuming PJ would have not considered this).

I'm okay with Galadriel being able to keep Sauron at bay indefinitely until Saruman, Radagast and Elrond arrives, but I really believe there is a reason why Tolkien, of all characters in LOTR, made such a big scene being tempted by the ring, and it just can't be just because we need women in the LOTR. Perhaps we get to see some of the stuff she learned from Melian, and more hopefully, Galadriel's athletic side in battle.

Now, whether that shot came before or after her confrontation with Sauron, we will never know. My guess is Galadriel managed to sneak away from battle to look for Gandalf, and upon releasing him, she is then confronted by Sauron, and she's able to hold him off long enough...maybe with the light of earendil...that thing should be more potent in her hands I would imagine...

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 6:40pm

Post #10 of 11 (334 views)
Shortcut
Maybe.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe Galadriel lulls Sauron to "sleep" for a little while, much like Lúthien did. This way she buys enough time to heal Gandalf.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 6:40pm

Post #11 of 11 (342 views)
Shortcut
It's this dress, [In reply to] Can't Post

that was originally published in Sibley's Official Movie Guide to AUJ...

https://static.squarespace.com/.../galadriel_1280.jpeg

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.