Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The effect of the Ring during the Hobbit.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 5:40am

Post #1 of 5 (406 views)
Shortcut
The effect of the Ring during the Hobbit. Can't Post

Is everyone willing to discount the possible effect of the Ring during the events of the Hobbit?

I know that in the original version of the Hobbit, it was 'just' a magic ring, but later when Tolkien 'revealed' it to be a powerful artifact with a corrupting influence, the behaviour of various characters (even Bilbo's 'theft' of the Arkenstone) makes even more sense.

It is claimed that the Ring seeks to return to it's Master. The circumstances involving the treasure of Erebor were ideal for it's purposes.

All it had to do was ignite a war between the Men, Elves and Dwarves over the gold, leaving them weakened and vulnerable to the forces of Bolg. Only Gandalf's timely warning prevented this, otherwise some random Orc might have found the Ring and eventually come to the attention of the higher ranking servants of Sauron, and finally the Dark Lord himself.

Of course, one must never underestimate gold-sickness, but I wonder if Tolkien suspected that there was more to Bilbo's ring when he first wrote the Hobbit, years ago.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Rickster
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 6:38am

Post #2 of 5 (256 views)
Shortcut
sure [In reply to] Can't Post

that is why it is likely t hat the trailer part where we see bolg and bilbo is not one scene...
he can not use the ring near Bolg unless he kills him instantly.. otherwise Sauron knows
and Bilbo will not know yet that sauron looks for that ring..

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2014, 12:19pm

Post #3 of 5 (163 views)
Shortcut
I suspect we'll see a little more ring influence in the third movie [In reply to] Can't Post

We've already seen hints in DOS that the ring has an effect on Bilbo that he doesn't quite understand and I don't think the film makers would have done that if they didn't plan to carry on with it in the third film. But it can't be too much or too obvious, because the discovery of the ring's true identity is still many years off in the future. I'll be very curious, though, to see if they link it to Bilbo's theft of the Arkenstone. That would be interesting.

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

joec_34
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 12:47pm

Post #4 of 5 (152 views)
Shortcut
IDK, Bolg isn't a Ringwraith [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think that Bolg would necessarily know that Bilbo had the one ring, and not just some magic ring. Even if he did find out, if it happens in the battle then he doesn't have to die instantly. I think that in the middle of a battle like that he would need to die soon, but not instantly.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 10:09pm

Post #5 of 5 (98 views)
Shortcut
No, on that last bit. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Of course, one must never underestimate gold-sickness, but I wonder if Tolkien suspected that there was more to Bilbo's ring when he first wrote the Hobbit, years ago.

Nope. Before he wrote The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien had no more idea of the Ring's importance than did anyone else. It was a magic ring, inspired by other rings in folklore and legend, but no more than that.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.