The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Would have loved to see Beorn in the trailer

KingFingolfin
The Shire

Jul 29 2014, 1:59am

Post #1 of 12 (604 views)
Shortcut
Would have loved to see Beorn in the trailer Can't Post

I loved the trailer....buuut seeing even one shot of Beorn would have been great!

Glassary
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 3:37am

Post #2 of 12 (403 views)
Shortcut
Think the are holding him back [In reply to] Can't Post

Likewise wanted to see him but feel PJ is holding back our glimpses of Beorn and Dain until the full trailer release. Build more anticipation for it.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 3:42am

Post #3 of 12 (400 views)
Shortcut
In Human form [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't of minded a scene of him in human form but I want the full bear in battle mode revealed in movie. In DoS, we never really got to see the scale of him in relation to anything and it was probably on purpose. In the WETA chronicles and the DoS movie guide by Sibley, the designer indicated they want his fighting style to be truly encompass the berserk and for him to be like a force of nature. That is something I definitely want to experience the first time in the theater.

KingFingolfin
The Shire

Jul 29 2014, 4:51am

Post #4 of 12 (359 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I own the book and found that aspect of Beorn very interesting...I'm certainly excited to see this in the movie! I just feel like it would have made the trailer that much more epic, but I would rather see that epicness in the movie so in the end it was a good choice for them not to show him yet!

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 5:06am

Post #5 of 12 (354 views)
Shortcut
I mean it's a teaser... [In reply to] Can't Post

so they are only going to show small pieces here and there.

The trailers will have more.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

KingFingolfin
The Shire

Jul 29 2014, 5:28am

Post #6 of 12 (338 views)
Shortcut
That's true [In reply to] Can't Post

Annatar598
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 6:21am

Post #7 of 12 (337 views)
Shortcut
If Beorn truly does turn the tide [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be best to NOT show him fighting at BOFA.

I still don't like how Gandalf the White was spoiled in the TTT trailers.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

glor
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 7:54am

Post #8 of 12 (292 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps Beorn isn't ready yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn in battle is Beorn in bear form. This means extensive CGI will be necessary to render him for the battle.

An unfinished/semi-rendered Beorn in the trailer would have been a mistake if the WETA team are still working on him.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 29 2014, 8:50am

Post #9 of 12 (279 views)
Shortcut
I think it would have been too big a spoiler. [In reply to] Can't Post

If Beorn comes into the battle in the same way he does in the book - that is, when all seems lost - and is a major factor in turning the tide in favor of the good guys, then showing him in the trailer would spoil that twist entirely, and with it a lot of the suspense of the battle.

Since there are a lot of people out there who don't know how the story ends, I think they're better off avoiding showing things that telegraph too much of the plot. In addition to Beorn, this is a good reason for them not to show Dain.

Dain's only important in the story for two reasons: he gives Thorin an army to fight for him, and he plays a sort of Fortinbras to Thorin's Hamlet. Dain has only been mentioned once in the movies, early on in AUJ, and it wasn't made a big deal of then. If they don't show him, they can build up the suspense of Thorin having only his company to fight for him against these thousands of Men and Elves and focus on the relationships and loyalty between them. And of course, it won't hint at the aftermath of the battle this way either.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 12:34pm

Post #10 of 12 (224 views)
Shortcut
Agree with you on both points...// [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 12:37pm

Post #11 of 12 (217 views)
Shortcut
Exactly...// [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 3:11pm

Post #12 of 12 (201 views)
Shortcut
Radagast is also notably absent. [In reply to] Can't Post

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.