The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Leaf by Niggle

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 1:38am

Post #1 of 9 (1064 views)
Shortcut
Leaf by Niggle Can't Post

I have to read Leaf by Niggle for a class this fall so I read it for the first time in a long time and I must admit I looked at it in a whole different light. My ultimate conclusion after reading it was that I am Niggle. Actually, everyone has a little bit of Niggle in them, at least those of us who call ourselves artists. I have been working on a nonfiction book for a few years now and few fantasy fiction novels and I hoard them. I share tid bits here and there but generally, I am afraid of other people's judgments on these things which are so remarkably special to me. Niggle did not share his great painting with anyone and anyone who interrupted him painting was an annoyance. At the end of his tale, he not only sees his painting complete, but he experiences it fully and lives within it, a whole new created world. But what is the one thing that helps him finish his work? The inspiration from a neighbor for whom he had little regard or admiration! Someone he viewed as an "annoyance." Niggle realizes that the man, Parish, knows things he himself cannot understand but that would enhance his painting.

This place cannot be left just as my private park. I need some help and advice: I ought to have got it sooner.

Joining with Parish gave Niggle exactly what he needed to finish his painting. During the course of that experience he began to appreciate the things Parish loved, and Parish loved the aspects of nature that had inspired Niggle's painting.

This story is not just the ideal fairy story Tolkien was trying to create. It ends up being more than that. It teaches us that there are things we cannot learn on our own, nor should we. Life is a joint experience and it is to be shared, even if that means sharing it with those we'd rather not. My writing should be shared with everyone no matter what they may think. Each one of us has a Leaf in us.

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 6:46pm

Post #2 of 9 (874 views)
Shortcut
I love this story [In reply to] Can't Post

-it's one of my favourites. I collect Tolkien, and after many years' search, I managed to get hold of a copy of The Dublin Review no. 432 (January 1945) in which the story was first published.

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 9:37pm

Post #3 of 9 (859 views)
Shortcut
Ooh you are lucky!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm jealous but great job obtaining it! More people should read this story.

Writing Bliss

Khim
Bree

Jul 29 2014, 10:00pm

Post #4 of 9 (862 views)
Shortcut
Leaving things... [In reply to] Can't Post

We cannot help relating to art on a personal level, but for me the most poignant reading of this story is autobiographically, Tolkien himself lamenting his foibles, knowing he will leave Middle-earth unfinished. Now Khim will act like a tree....and leave :)

I am Khim akin to Mim.

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 10:38pm

Post #5 of 9 (849 views)
Shortcut
It's so true [In reply to] Can't Post

He left more than Middle-earth unfinished. His poems like Arthur, one of the best Arhuriab renditions I've ever read and it is tragically unfinished.

Writing Bliss

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 30 2014, 4:22am

Post #6 of 9 (856 views)
Shortcut
One of the autobiographical elements [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always found most interesting is the relationship with Parish. It almost feels like Tolkien's is apologizing for not being a better neighbor to his fellow humans. Part of me really dislikes this element, since that's one of my failings, too. :)

It's interesting how open Tolkien was in "Leaf by Niggle." It's certainly uncharacteristic of him.

TolkienBlog.com

dreamflower
Lorien

Aug 7 2014, 1:38pm

Post #7 of 9 (824 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

It almost feels like Tolkien's is apologizing for not being a better neighbor to his fellow humans.

It feels that way to me, too. Yet I think that's the way most good-hearted people feel. We can't do everything to help others in need, and sometimes we can't do anything even when we want to. And being human, we sometimes help others even though we feel resentful for it. JRRT captures that dilemma very well in Niggle, who selfishly wishes he could keep his time and resources to himself, and yet selflessly spends them on his annoying neighbor instead.

It's an uncomfortable failing to find in myself as well, but I comfort myself with this observation: People who truly don't care, don't care that they don't. They are too self-absorbed to even realize it. Thankfully I believe that those who fall into that category are in the minority.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2014, 7:11pm

Post #8 of 9 (828 views)
Shortcut
Shippey has an idea - [In reply to] Can't Post

- that Tolkien is afraid that he wouldn't live long enough to complete his long story; pretty much the same as Niggle was afraid he wouldn't finish hs picture before having to leave on his wretched journey. In this analogy, Parish represents Tolkien's professional responsibilities. Certainly JRR wouldn't have been able to make LotR without his academic knowledge; much the same as Niggle noticed that some of the best parts of his picture were made in conjunction with Parish.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Aug 9 2014, 9:14pm

Post #9 of 9 (853 views)
Shortcut
Very true indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

And being human, we sometimes help others even though we feel resentful for it.

TolkienBlog.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.