The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Regarding battle rams...

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 12:58am

Post #1 of 23 (2928 views)
Shortcut
Regarding battle rams... Can't Post

I am overflowing with images in my head of an army of battle goats charging into the battle being lead by King Dain on a huge wild boar. This will be a new one for the ME franchise and I CANNOT wait to this on screen. Thoughts?

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 12:59am

Post #2 of 23 (2542 views)
Shortcut
That was actually my favorite part of the trailer! // [In reply to] Can't Post

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2014, 1:00am

Post #3 of 23 (2535 views)
Shortcut
I thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

the battle goats looked pretty cool. I agree, this will be a marvelous sight to see on the big screen.

In 48 FPS 3D. Cool

Kim
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 1:03am

Post #4 of 23 (2524 views)
Shortcut
I thought they looked pretty cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I was afraid they were going to be little billy goats or something, couldn't quite picture it. But I thought they looked pretty sweet in the trailer, and my thought on the scene with the ice chariot was, "can't wait to see that in HFR!" So I imagine they will look pretty spectacular in the movie.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Name
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 1:06am

Post #5 of 23 (2505 views)
Shortcut
Definitely looks cool [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially once the cgi is perfected.
As for Dain's arrival, I don't want him to arrive in the middle of the battle and charge the orcs Rohirrim-style. I'd like it if he comes shortly after the elves arrive, and that way we actually get to meet Dain. He really needs some character development so that we can accept him as the new king.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

(This post was edited by Name on Jul 29 2014, 1:07am)

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 1:07am

Post #6 of 23 (2537 views)
Shortcut
Battle rams actually make sense to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're very fierce.

Our destiny lies above us.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2014, 1:13am

Post #7 of 23 (2527 views)
Shortcut
World of Warcraft [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if someone at Weta was inspired by World of Warcraft because the dwarves in that game ride rams. Or maybe that's some fantasy trope that's been around a while that I just haven't noticed much.

bungobaggins
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 4:28am

Post #8 of 23 (2440 views)
Shortcut
My favorite chapter in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

was always the one with the battle rams in it. A close second was the one with the war chariot and Bard riding in a cart. Such vivid memories of reading those passages.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 4:45am

Post #9 of 23 (2409 views)
Shortcut
The book [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
was always the one with the battle rams in it. A close second was the one with the war chariot and Bard riding in a cart. Such vivid memories of reading those passages.

did those happen in the book? I don't remember.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 4:49am

Post #10 of 23 (2418 views)
Shortcut
In Norse mythology [In reply to] Can't Post

Thor rode a chariot pulled by goats.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 6:19am

Post #11 of 23 (2379 views)
Shortcut
Rams Men! They looked utterly brilliant. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now we can imagine what Gimli would have turned up on in ROTK!

Horse men! I wish I could muster an army of Dwarves, fully armed and filthy.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 29 2014, 6:19am)

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 7:21am

Post #12 of 23 (2346 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings Online [In reply to] Can't Post

The developers also decided to let Giant Goats be the mounts that can be used in places such as Moria - where horses dare not go.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 8:00am

Post #13 of 23 (2322 views)
Shortcut
Count me in. [In reply to] Can't Post

The battle rams looked brilliant.Cool

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 8:20am

Post #14 of 23 (2312 views)
Shortcut
No, he was being sarcastic.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. or maybe you are as well! Wink

Whatever, I think they looked very dramatic. Gives 'battering ram' a whole new meaning!

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 29 2014, 8:21am

Post #15 of 23 (2312 views)
Shortcut
I think it is a good idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as their attack does not quote the Ride of the Rohirrim too much. That would be a major mistake and probably fail, imho.

It has to be different.

I still hope the armies will almost simultaniously join the battle and we will get to see four of the involved armies running towards each other - with the Orcs entering the fields between Erebor and Dale, the Iron Hills Dwarves coming from the other side of the mountain, as well as Elves and Men coming out of Dale.

This would lead to a totally different feeling right from the start.

A deus ex machina arrival of Dain and his army on any form of horse-like animal would be really, really wrong, imho.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jul 29 2014, 8:38am

Post #16 of 23 (2295 views)
Shortcut
I Love it [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the battle goats or what you called it. With those horns and armors they looked pretty badass.

Azaghâl
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 8:42am

Post #17 of 23 (2307 views)
Shortcut
This is the truth [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't have Dain's army be a watered down version of the rohirrim.

I am really disappointed with these ram riders. Not the design but the idea behind it and how it ruins the way J.R.R. Tolkien envisioned of dwarfs. The description of the Ironhill dwarfs is very clear from the book. They had moved by foot very quickly and carried heavy burdens with them Cause that is the way dwarfs do it. Dwarfs don't tire easily and they have never rode into battle. They are a standing army of heavy armour and broad shields, like a wall or iron. This way of turning them into a cavalry is way too warcraft-fantasy-like. Sometimes you should just follow established lore. Unsure

I kinda like the idea of Dain riding a boar, because he's a king and he should be special. But I really hope we will get to see some part of the army being ground troops.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 10:41am

Post #18 of 23 (2244 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always pictured Dwarven armies as being made up of heavily armoured infantry only. I have never envisioned them having cavalry or even archers - something about those images just don't fit.

That said, I love these battle rams. They look really cool, and keep what could have turned into a war-movie grounded in fantasy - because at the end of the day that's what these movies are.

It may be that there is only a single mounted unit, and the rest of the army are footsoldiers. I guess we'll need to wait and see.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jul 29 2014, 10:53am

Post #19 of 23 (2370 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure we'll have infantry too [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember in the last vlog we saw what appeared to be a Iron Hill Dwarf soldier on foot, falling over (probably unintentionally). So we might still have dwarves marching to battle.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img607/7436/g7ut.jpg

I'm surprised by goats after setting myself up for boars and thinking that they were thematically suitable for dwarves. Mountain goats are also quite suitable (dwarves live in mountains, goats live on mountains) but still it's quite a surprise. Some members mentioned how Big Horn sheep can be quite aggressive in the trailer thread so goat calvary could end up working quite well.

After a quick google search goat chariots aren't exactly new. Looks like Thor had one as does this lucky guy:

http://cdn.fairfaxregional.com.au/silverstone-feed-data/2de07621-c33d-4deb-9fed-3df0a56285ee.jpg

Yes, my username is terrible.

(This post was edited by TheSexyBeard on Jul 29 2014, 10:54am)

Grimnir
The Shire

Jul 29 2014, 11:30am

Post #20 of 23 (2312 views)
Shortcut
Rams and the dwarven lineage tapestry [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you remember the dwarven lineage tapestry?

(If you don't: http://www.thelandofshadow.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/HobbitLineageofDurinTapestry2.jpg)

Very well. We have three animals depicted: Two ravens, one boar and one ram.

If you look closely to Thrór's crown, you'll see two ravens. The ravens also help the dwarves in the book. And it's not a surprise that the two ravens on the tapestry are right next to Thór's family.

The rest is kinda obvious: The boar is next do Dáin's family and the ram is next to Balin's family.

What's my conclusion? There'll be another dwaf army.

nandorin elf
Bree

Jul 29 2014, 3:47pm

Post #21 of 23 (2159 views)
Shortcut
Pretty Sweet [In reply to] Can't Post

My skepticism has been demolished and then some. The battle rams look great.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 10:12pm

Post #22 of 23 (2126 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

At least the war-rams get Dain and his fighters to Erebor faster than they could have arrived on foot. Jackson plays too freely with time and distance as it is.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Macfeast
Rohan

Jul 30 2014, 1:42pm

Post #23 of 23 (2106 views)
Shortcut
Sort of how I felt. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing wrong with the rams by themselves. It's just... I always liked the image of the dwarves marching all the way from the Iron Hills. It wasn't spectacular, by any means... it was just so wonderfully stubborn and determined, like the dwarves themselves. Looking at the Ride of the Rohirrim, it wasn't just a cool battle sequence; It was something that was very illustrative of the culture and people of Rohan. Similarly, I always felt that the lack of a dedicated dwarven cavalry was very much in keeping with the way dwarves did things; They might use ponies for long-distance travel, but in battle, they'd prefer solid rock beneath their feet.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.