Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Special Edition: What have you been watching AND what buzz are you hearing about entertainment shows from Comic-Con (etc)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2014, 4:20am

Post #26 of 42 (728 views)
Shortcut
I know nothing of this series. [In reply to] Can't Post

As a fan of Tolkien, Game of Thrones, and the Wheel of Time books, where does this series fall?

Young adult or adult fiction?

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

(This post was edited by Owain on Jul 30 2014, 4:20am)

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 30 2014, 4:33am

Post #27 of 42 (726 views)
Shortcut
gosh, please +no+ [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Jena Malone for Lessa?

jena is the anti-lessa.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 30 2014, 4:36am

Post #28 of 42 (722 views)
Shortcut
both [In reply to] Can't Post

most of the books are adult fiction, and the first three (dragonflight, dragonquest, the white dragon of pern) are the best of the adult ones (imo, it goes without saying).

but the young adult books (there's a trilogy) are equally as good, if not better. poignant and lovely with music/musicianship as a central theme.

this would be astounding on the big screen, but would be best as an hbo series, as mcaffrey's world is filled with racous, dragonish sex.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2014, 4:37am

Post #29 of 42 (718 views)
Shortcut
Ok. Good to know. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm always looking for new things to read.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2014, 2:08pm

Post #30 of 42 (708 views)
Shortcut
That was a cool show [In reply to] Can't Post

and I was most surprised and impressed by the water cisterns and the fact that they are still in use.

I've actually wondered about the indoor plumbing in Erebor (Ever since I read "Flushed" by W.H. Carter I think about these things), and came to the conclusion that the dwarves probably have a very advanced system for directing water flow from the river into the mountain for drinking, bathing and industry (like the lever in DOS) and also for drainage. I don't remember anything in the books about it, and it's one of those goofy things I get curious about and would like to see onscreen or in a book. If the Romans could do it I'm sure the dwarves could do it better. Smile

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2014, 3:22pm

Post #31 of 42 (706 views)
Shortcut
Yes! 2,000 years old and still working! [In reply to] Can't Post

That impressed me too, along with the large central pool they found. Must have been amazing in its time. Very cool you saw it too Elarie.
Erebor and Moria wise, I (like you) think about these things and wonder if a mountaintop rainwater/snowmelt cistern with gravity piping that could be opened and closed at will could have carried water down to the living spaces. As we see in real-life Petra, if its built well it will last many centuries.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2014, 5:29pm

Post #32 of 42 (697 views)
Shortcut
You might really enjoy that book [In reply to] Can't Post

"Flushed" if you haven't already read it. It has to be the most entertaining book about the history of plumbing ever written. And in this sense "plumbing" includes everything from ancient aqueducts to the "hot" baths in Bath, England, and so on. One of those books that I read years ago and keep planning to read again someday, just to refresh my memory and just for fun Smile

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 31 2014, 1:04am

Post #33 of 42 (696 views)
Shortcut
I thought she stole the show in the latest Hunger Games [In reply to] Can't Post

stealing the show from Jennifer is not easy. She's spunky! I could totally see her in the role.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kim
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 4:46am

Post #34 of 42 (693 views)
Shortcut
Sharknado 2: The Second One [In reply to] Can't Post

Full Disclosure: I have not seen the first one, so I'm sure I've missed crucial plot points and key character development. I also missed the first 15 minutes and am only about halfway through, so I may not be getting the full impact here, but so far, I feel compelled to share this about this amazing production: it is absolutely stupid and flippin' hilarious!

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."
http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 1 2014, 1:33pm

Post #35 of 42 (675 views)
Shortcut
Sounds fun! Thanks for the recc! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Aug 1 2014, 3:01pm

Post #36 of 42 (666 views)
Shortcut
I agree completely! [In reply to] Can't Post

She was amazing in Catching Fire, and I'm eager to see her again in the next two movies.

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 1 2014, 6:46pm

Post #37 of 42 (657 views)
Shortcut
I am Groot. // [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 3 2014, 4:41am

Post #38 of 42 (651 views)
Shortcut
So glad to see others love Jennifer Lawrence [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved her as Katniss. She makes the movies truly. I actually just saw Noah. It was really interesting but so different from the traditional bible story.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 3 2014, 6:24am

Post #39 of 42 (655 views)
Shortcut
Correct me if I'm wrong ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But the praise was directed towards Jena Malone (Johanna Mason) and not Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss).

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 3 2014, 3:44pm

Post #40 of 42 (638 views)
Shortcut
I think she meant Katniss [In reply to] Can't Post

As Annael was referring to her and then Ardamire replied and I replied to him.

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Aug 3 2014, 3:46pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 3 2014, 6:00pm

Post #41 of 42 (638 views)
Shortcut
threaded mode is your friend. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

The indentation structure of threaded mode shows that

Annael suggested Jena Malone for Lessa in Chronicles of Pern
..Maciliel said ,"please no" - she thinks Jena is the anti-Lessa
....Annael said she thought she (meaning Jena) stole the show from Jennifer in Hunger Games
......Ardamírë said, "I agree completely. She was amazing in Catching Fire, and I'm eager to see her again in the next two movies. "
(now, one assumes Ardamírë agrees with Annael that Jenna stole the show from Jennifer. It's possible Ardamírë got confused on the point Annael was making)
........DaughterofLaketown was glad to see others loved Jennifer Lawrence.

But, as DanielLB pointed out, the person being lauded was Jenna Malone. Although I will say, many people have stated in the past that they love Jennifer Lawrence. She just wasn't the focus of this sub-conversation.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 3 2014, 7:48pm

Post #42 of 42 (627 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't matter either way :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with either point being made. I think they got the casting spot on for The Hunger Games. Every actor seems to have been very well selected, and you can't often say that about every franchise. I'm looking forward to the next movie, though I thought the trailer was a little disappointing.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.