First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 12:54pm

Post #26 of 35 (439 views)
Shortcut
you bow to no man [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 1:01pm

Post #27 of 35 (435 views)
Shortcut
You are not alone there [In reply to] Can't Post

PS. Yes, Deviant Art is much like a stroll through Mirkwood, and sometimes I just want to take a shower afterward - but there are gems there. If you are brave enoughWink

And in the disagreeable region where the Company got lost too. just bleh at the teaser coming out at 3am my time, but then also some hope that maybe by the time I turn on my phone, whatever overload the poor servers suffered would have passed and I watch it uninterrupted, go to work Frown then SURVIVE the day and hurry home to log on here and just SQUEE over it.

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment. But call me Lurker.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jul 28 2014, 1:02pm)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 28 2014, 1:12pm

Post #28 of 35 (433 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for that lovely post [In reply to] Can't Post

I just watched the panel video and it was fun, but I was disappointed at the lack of dwarves. For me they are the heart of the movie and, along with Bilbo, are the characters that I really care about.

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 3:28pm

Post #29 of 35 (415 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, the whole [In reply to] Can't Post

"give the dwarves personalities" experiment has pretty much failed in my opinion. Other than Thorin (for obvious reasons), the only dwarves given compelling characterizations are Balin and, to a lesser extent, Dwalin. Kili has been given a larger role than even those two almost, but we all know how that turned out (ugh). And James Nesbitt's a fine actor, but he hasn't really been given all that much to do as Bofur, and his nice moment with Bilbo in AUJ could easily have been fulfilled by Balin.

I think the movies would have been much better served if the dwarves had been more of a faceless comic/heroic group (kind of like how Bombur's been presented), maybe with Fili and Kili being given a bit of separate screentime as more of a duo (much like Merry and Pippin), with all the important dialogue and characterization being given to Thorin and Balin, and maybe Dwalin. We'd then have as main characters Bilbo, Gandalf and Thorin, with Balin, Dwalin and Fili/Kili as secondary main characters, with the rest of the dwarves acting as essentially an 8th character. That, to me, seems like a nice balance of characters, comparable to the Fellowship.

All this is moot, obviously-- just kind of fun to think about. And actually, for the most part, i like the dwarves. I just don't think that portraying them the way the films have have made them all that much better, and i think that a more simple, streamlined approach to the dwarves would have been much more effective.

Edit: Just wanted to add that i have enjoyed the behind the scenes footage and interviews with all the actors portraying the dwarves. They're a funny, thoughtful, loyal bunch of fellows, and their chemistry and camaraderie are apparent.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Jul 28 2014, 3:38pm)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jul 28 2014, 4:08pm

Post #30 of 35 (408 views)
Shortcut
Great post Avandel. [In reply to] Can't Post

The film has achieved significantly where the book failed,the distinctive characterisation of the Dwarves either physical or emotional one.Thorin,Balin,Dwalin,Kili and to a lesser extent Fili and Bofur have shown enough traits of their own personality in the two movies so far to the point that i actually care for them.Unfortunately, that never happened every time i was reading the book.I am eagerly waiting to see the movies in full perspective once the third film is released to have a more concrete and spherical opinion about the Dwarves.Even without the third movie though,the differences between the Dwarve's development is more than obvious, and the movies win by a substantial distance.I just hope to see more Fili "on play" ,as i feel that his lack of presence is one of the movie's biggest flaw so far.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 5:55pm

Post #31 of 35 (395 views)
Shortcut
Thank you and a few more random moments that strike me [In reply to] Can't Post

The film has achieved significantly where the book failed,the distinctive characterisation of the Dwarves either physical or emotional one.

Agreed! Tho I had always taken to Thorin - fierce, crotchety, Thorin.....Smile

We never saw this - maybe the EE? And Bombur being the river battle hero was GENIUS!!!!HeartHeartHeart

These pranksters HeartHeartHeart

The mighty Dwalin - always loved in AUJ seeing him protect Bilbo - and always has Thorin's back....HeartHeartHeart

"I cannot be guarantee his safety - nor will I be responsible for his fate." Yeah, sure, Thorin, you big softy!WinkHeartHeartSmile

And Bilbo tries to protect Thorin...

I always wonder what Bifur is thinking!!! - and how cute are dwarves in buckets???Heart

No matter what, Thorin, the king has come home. This scene to me also one of the most beautiful ever filmed, superb voice work and emotion - exquisitely done.

I just hope to see more Fili "on play" ,as i feel that his lack of presence is one of the movie's biggest flaw so far.

Me too! Agreed! But the blurry banner pictures seem to have Fili up front and center, so just maybe?

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 6:40pm

Post #32 of 35 (377 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks for a series of lovely posts in this thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. and delightful images. I completely agree; these dwarves are real characters and a real company to feel involved with and to care about - and that feeling has grown through the two films. And Bilbo is Bilbo, and when it comes to it, this is their story. and I share your appreciation of 'Far over the Misty Mountains' and Thorin and Balin re-entering Erebor. Spine tingling just thinking about them.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 7:45pm

Post #33 of 35 (366 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

And that is one thing that I find comforting, Thorin, after his long exile, has come home. I would thank Sir Jackson for that scene alone, and the care that was given.

Noria
Gondor

Jul 28 2014, 8:20pm

Post #34 of 35 (358 views)
Shortcut
Nice post Avandel [In reply to] Can't Post

Like others, these movies have made me care much more for the Dwarves than I ever did reading the book.

AS for SDCC, the panel would have felt rather different if Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen and Richard Armitage had been there. I’m sure WB must have wanted them but we know that are all busy.

I can’t even guess why only one of the other Dwarves was present. Were the rest not invited, meaning that the composition of the panel was deliberate? Or were they otherwise occupied, meaning that the people there were just the ones who could make it? I don't know how these things work.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 11:15pm

Post #35 of 35 (365 views)
Shortcut
dwarves missing in action? [In reply to] Can't Post

Were the rest not invited, meaning that the composition of the panel was deliberate? Or were they otherwise occupied, meaning that the people there were just the ones who could make it? I don't know how these things work.

Thank you! With BOFA coming on - well, look how far these guys have come. But I like remembering the dwarves tumbling into Bilbo's life - and into mine!HeartHeartHeart

I was thinking that perhaps as BOFA approaches, with RA and MF available, then when these kind of PR things occur it will be a lot of the whole Company - or all of them? I think that would be nice, during PR appearances. The Company starts and ends these movies together.

But I don't know how these things work, either. I know the dwarves did a lot of cons this year already. Agree it would have felt different if MF, Sir Ian, and RA had been there, and that was a little odd, even tho I knew all of them have commitments. Tho honestly, while it looks like Sir Peter enjoyed himself, I'll bet he really wanted to get back to work as soon as he could!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.