Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
It's Official! The Trailer will be released.....
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 4:08am

Post #76 of 84 (470 views)
Shortcut
That shot of Gandalf and the Elves... [In reply to] Can't Post

...reminds me of the look of the Carrock scene at the end of An Unexpected Journey (only with the color toned down a bit). I guess this comes from it being a green screen shot, as you said. I've gotten more used to these CGI heavy/painterly style shots, but they don't feel evocative of LotR to me. I think perhaps we've just gotten more used to the digital look of The Hobbit (others are free to disagree, of course).

In any case, I've now accepted the look of these films (in that they are not going to have the grittier appearance of LotR) and I'm quite pleased with the visuals we're seeing. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Annatar598
Rohan

Jul 28 2014, 4:42am

Post #77 of 84 (445 views)
Shortcut
Is that green screen? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not so sure.

It doesn't feel like green screen to me :/

If it is then it's brilliant visuals work for a trailer!

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 8:08am

Post #78 of 84 (404 views)
Shortcut
Mockingjay [In reply to] Can't Post

At least I do not think the Mockingjay teaser trailer will take too much attention away from Bot5A anymore... 18 hours between the releases, plus THG trailer being... mediocre at best imho.

Hopefully the long wait for Bot5A teaser has not also led to expectations being too high...

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 28 2014, 8:08am)

adt100
Rohan

Jul 28 2014, 10:14am

Post #79 of 84 (322 views)
Shortcut
I agree entirely! // [In reply to] Can't Post

adt100
Rohan

Jul 28 2014, 10:24am

Post #80 of 84 (324 views)
Shortcut
Ok let's not pretend LOTR was all 'physical' and The Hobbit is all 'digital' [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR used a hell of a lot of green sceen, CGI etc. Sure there is more of it in The Hobbit, sometimes with good reason. When it comes to the brief images we have seen so far of BOFA though it seems very promising. To create the big battles and fantasy elements required for such scenes you NEED to have a lot of cgi, and WETA are probably the best in the business. PJ still uses an awful lot of the NZ landscape as he can, and loves it as much as we all do, but the cgi is so advanced and doe so well that in the vast majority of cases I don't have a problem with it. In fact, one of my few issues with ROTK was the restraint in CGI used when Frodo and Sam were crossing Gorgoroth and Climbing Mount. (also, somewhat the BOTPF), The landscape didn't quite seem fantastical enough and most irritatingly, in their quest for 'realism' the skies always seemed to bright and clear. None of the ominous feel of that end shot of TTT.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 28 2014, 12:00pm

Post #81 of 84 (289 views)
Shortcut
I know [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just pointing out the shot looked weird to me.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 12:04pm

Post #82 of 84 (290 views)
Shortcut
Woot! Thanks, James! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment. But call me Lurker.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Name
Rohan

Jul 28 2014, 1:29pm

Post #83 of 84 (257 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I didn't get that impression either. [In reply to] Can't Post

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 4:40pm

Post #84 of 84 (234 views)
Shortcut
I suspect it's because [In reply to] Can't Post

clothes are not all that easy to make look convincing with cgi. Yet another reason why i think actors in prosthetics and costumes is the better choice.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.