About Dol Guldur Battle Picture

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Jul 26 2014, 10:57pm

Post #1 of 18 (1658 views)
Shortcut
About Dol Guldur Battle Picture Can't Post

Sir Christopher Lee's last Christmas Message:
"There's a lot of me in it(about BOTFA),a lot. Tremendous amount of fighthing, sword playing, understanding, sympathy, towards Gandalf, towards Galadriel."
And yet here we see The White Council in SDCC :
https://twitter.com/SpaceGhostCBM/status/493092622609555456/photo/1

I'm a little confused. My question is; I understand from Christopher Lee's message; Saruman will fight the evil in Dol Guldur, and there are a lot of sympathy in this battle between Galadriel and Gandalf, Galadriel and Saruman. But in this picture Saruman is in a bit of darkness, so was this message means there's a sympathy between Galadriel and Gandalf, but not including Saruman? I was expecting that Saruman would lead the attack, but in this picture he is seen in a little darkness and seems a little not important? And also he is holding his staff with his both hands. I don't see any sword there. Maybe the "sword playing" means the other characthers fightings, but not Saruman? In the end, he sayed "There's tremendous amount of fighting, sword playing, understanding, sympathy" he didn't say "I've done a lot of fighting and sword playing. There's sypmathy and kindness towards Gandalf and Galadriel FROM ME" ?? Some says Saruman will help Sauron to escape and flee to Mordor, but if he does something like that, then the sentence from Gandalf in FotR: "I must see the head of my order. He is both wise and powerful." will be nonsense. Oh God, i'm really confused. What is your expectations about it?

(This post was edited by erdildeniz on Jul 26 2014, 11:07pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 26 2014, 11:02pm

Post #2 of 18 (980 views)
Shortcut
Firstly... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the banners are highly stylized artworks that do not tell that much about actual scenes.

I have a feeling Galadriel will mainly help Gandalf while Elrond and Saruman might reach the battlegrounds later and turn the tide against Sauron (and, I guess, the Nazgul).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

vexx801
Rivendell

Jul 27 2014, 3:11am

Post #3 of 18 (687 views)
Shortcut
Sauron? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to second what was said above me ^

In terms of actual film content, however, I am inclined to say that yes, Saurman will greatly help out Gandalf and Galadriel. It seems, in the scroll here, that the enemy is facing Gandalf and Galadriel - but Saruman is behind him, ready to attack and save the day. Unless that's Elrond or someone else. Again, it is certainly true that these are stylized posters.

On a further note, it should be pointed out that we may possibly see some darkness in Saruman's path within BOTFA. In the scroll for DOS, we saw what appeared to be a palantir. Many people have been speculating that in the ruins of Dol Guldur, once Sauron has been driven out, Saruman comes across a palantir (ala similar to how Pippin found it in ROTK, and therefore mirroring that scene) and secretly puts it in his robe out of curiosity.

Now, I have a question of my own. None of the pictures or videos I have seen of the scroll for BOTFA thus far is clear enough, but does that look that Sauron who is in the Dol Guldur section? Or do we think that is the Witch King, or another Nazgul? Or Elrond? Or-?

(This post was edited by vexx801 on Jul 27 2014, 3:13am)

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 6:13am

Post #4 of 18 (564 views)
Shortcut
Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you think he will be involved in the DG Battle ? If so, how ?

And what i'm wondering about: Why Galadriel is laying while trying to reach Gandalf ? Is she injured herself or just trying to hide from somewhat ?

Fleuz
Lorien

Jul 27 2014, 7:15am

Post #5 of 18 (518 views)
Shortcut
I think or hope [In reply to] Can't Post

that this battle at DG will be mostly held in mental nature.
Galadriel and Gandalf could be simply overwhelmed.

I don't think they are injured from a sword or s/th.

Wordofmask
Lorien

Jul 27 2014, 7:35am

Post #6 of 18 (511 views)
Shortcut
I agree with this [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though I cant feel a bit disappointed when I see Galadriel lying on the ground. As a one of the most powerful being in ME She shouldn't lose that much.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 27 2014, 8:10am

Post #7 of 18 (486 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to speculate that ... [In reply to] Can't Post

whatever happens to Radagast (whether that be him dying, abandoning his duties, going missing, or departing Middle-earth) it will happen in he first half of the movie.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 8:20am

Post #8 of 18 (459 views)
Shortcut
i´m just curious [In reply to] Can't Post

if he will have an expanded role during the assault on DG.
Would really appreciate if we would see him again in combat as in AuJ. I doubt he is going to die..

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2014, 4:10pm

Post #9 of 18 (375 views)
Shortcut
Radagast and Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that both of them might be involved in rescuing Gandalf.

I have no idea what is going on with Galadriel in that shot.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jul 27 2014, 5:35pm

Post #10 of 18 (343 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the battle will consist of multiple phases:

1.) Beorn and Radagast arrive and begin the rescue attempt, but are soon overwhelmed by orcs/the Nine.

2.) Galadriel and Elrond arrive and even the odds.

3.) Sauron will take the field (as his shadow cloud form) and erupt into flame, causing a brief pause in the fighting. He will predict the fate of those present with a sinister twist, attempting to kill any hope of future resistance but the Wise. Gandalf and Galadriel are pinned to the ground.

4.) Saruman arrives in the nick of time and somehow manages to save the day. Galadriel "loses her ...." and goes nuclear on the physical fortress, ripping it apart as Raddy speeds Gandalf away on his sled.

5.) (perhaps reserved for extended cut) Saruman wanders the wreckage of Dol Guldur and comes across a palantir (not canon I know, but this whole subplot has ceased to adhere to the events of the books). At first it appears dark and dead, but soon a feint spark is kindled. Cue sinister theme and cut to black.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

(This post was edited by Aitieuriskon on Jul 27 2014, 5:40pm)

Spalko
Rivendell

Jul 27 2014, 6:46pm

Post #11 of 18 (300 views)
Shortcut
Good points [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

5.) (perhaps reserved for extended cut) Saruman wanders the wreckage of Dol Guldur and comes across a palantir (not canon I know, but this whole subplot has ceased to adhere to the events of the books). At first it appears dark and dead, but soon a feint spark is kindled. Cue sinister theme and cut to black.

I had the same thought, and you are right, even not being canon, they can possible wrote something like that to make a conection with the movies.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2014, 7:41pm

Post #12 of 18 (286 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

I had the same thought, and you are right, even not being canon, they can possible wrote something like that to make a conection with the movies.

Maybe the Orthanc-stone was stolen from Isengard long ago and Saruman recovers it from Dol Guldur. That could work and it would explain why it took Saruman so long to find the palantir.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Spalko
Rivendell

Jul 27 2014, 8:24pm

Post #13 of 18 (278 views)
Shortcut
So many possibilities at this point [In reply to] Can't Post

But I would really like to see that in the movie, even if it is for a few brief seconds.

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Jul 27 2014, 10:43pm

Post #14 of 18 (266 views)
Shortcut
So do I [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, i was thinking something like that. But don't know why, i'm waiting Saruman and Elrond arrive together. Whatever, Gandalf told Radagast "Carry the message to the Lady Galadriel." I don't wait they show how Radagast up to warn Galadriel but if they would do it, that would be perfectly fit. And maybe before Galadriel's going on the way, she could send messages to both Rivendell and Saruman.
But your guess is better i believe, i would like to see Saruman coming himself and droop to save the day. Sounds much better than Saruman and Elrond's together arrival.
And for lastly, if they cut any scene including Saruman and put it on extended version, PJ will lose too much respect in my opinion. Actually he cutted ALL scenes of Chris Lee's in RotK and surely this time it will not be that ALL. But whatever it's again a 3rd film of the trilogy, he mustn't cut any scene of him.

(This post was edited by erdildeniz on Jul 27 2014, 10:48pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2014, 11:35pm

Post #15 of 18 (255 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lothlorien is the closest location to Dol Guldur after Rhosgobel, so it makes sense for Radagast to make for Galadriel there. From Lorien, word can quickly be sent to both Isengard and Rivendell. Beorn might already be in the vicinity just because his interest has been peaked by Gandalf (and because the Grey Wanderer has his horse!). Even if Galadriel is still in Rivendell, her husband Celeborn should be able to swiftly reach her.

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Jul 28 2014, 11:01am

Post #16 of 18 (222 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman haven't been the lord of Isengard yet, in the timeline of Hobbit

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 11:26am

Post #17 of 18 (216 views)
Shortcut
No, he is [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman was given the keys of Orthanc in T.A. 2759. (LOTR, Appendix B)

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 28 2014, 1:49pm

Post #18 of 18 (207 views)
Shortcut
Saruman in Isengard [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Saruman haven't been the lord of Isengard yet, in the timeline of Hobbit

See BlackFox's post above. Saruman had been in residence in Orthanc since TA 2759; he took it for his own in 2963 and began to fortify it. He did not make use of the palantir of Isengard until about the year 3000.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.