*gets keys, unlocks doors* Welcome to Friday Fiesta! :D
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 10:32pm

Post #26 of 39 (694 views)
Shortcut
I've taken this course for Girl Scouts [In reply to] Can't Post

Ours was mostly lecture (With some slides but they are too graphic) with a handout to refer to and then practicals on either dummies or "dummies", i.e. fellow classmates. I have a left/right-challenged friend who was in the class that I teamed up with. "No Laura, you're other right" while she was tying a triangle bandage on me was the most harrowing thing we went through. I was nervous because I'd been certified before and had even used my CPR training and was sure I'd fall into one of the older "versions" and fail the darn test. But then I found out they coach you step-by-step and want to see you do it, that is all. First rule: Don't exceed your training. They won't be throwing you into the middle of a trauma scene straight out of Emergency (oops, dated myself there) and have you save everyone. Ours was actually kind of goofy because of having to tie each other up.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 10:39pm

Post #27 of 39 (691 views)
Shortcut
Three year olds are amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that age.

We had an experience similar where the first exposure was less than ideal. My kids are "why" kids so I gave them information they could understand. I kept things light but stayed close. We read books and sang songs and did all the things we normally do except we were sitting in a hospital room. When it came time for things to get more serious, I looked them straight in the eye and told them mommy was with them. Hubby thought I was a rock. I knew I would stay together and do what I needed to do because somewhere in the future I would be "off-duty" and would fall apart completely then. They needed to know I was there and that things would be OK. Moms are superheroes when they need to be. You can do this.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2014, 10:42pm

Post #28 of 39 (693 views)
Shortcut
We're off to the Great White North [In reply to] Can't Post

<----- My avatar is where we will be. It takes 2 days to get there but then we'll have 5 days of no phones, no electricity, just rock, wind and water. If I could liver there I would. I love the peace.

Take care everyone!

Kim
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 11:07pm

Post #29 of 39 (692 views)
Shortcut
Have fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy the peace and quiet! Smile

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Annael
Immortal

Jul 26 2014, 2:08pm

Post #30 of 39 (679 views)
Shortcut
prayers for the best possible experience & outcome for you all // [In reply to] Can't Post

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 26 2014, 4:16pm

Post #31 of 39 (671 views)
Shortcut
*swoops in* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey there everyone!

Just thought I would pop in for a minute, as I'm online for SDCC Hobbit purposes.

I hope everyone here is doing well, and that summer in the States isn't too unbearable (sitting next to a portable heater as I speak Smile). I would like to drop in with some sort of update on my adventure here in NZ so far, perhaps in the next week or so to commemorate my first month.

Have a good weekend! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 27 2014, 11:48pm

Post #32 of 39 (663 views)
Shortcut
Be ready to Party on Tuesday! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I'm swooping in late, but I'm nasty busy! HOWEVER, I wanted to remind one and all that we're all set for celebrating the 60th Anniversary of FotR's publication on Tuesday, July 29th. Watch for the party games, writings, Tolkienia and other tidbits on the Main and FotR-Movie Discussion Boards!

*geeky hand clapping* SIXTY YEARS! WOW!!!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 27 2014, 11:57pm

Post #33 of 39 (660 views)
Shortcut
Good for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you're nervous about the training and your surroundings, but you will be armed with something that could change the lives of others... and your own. :) I'm certified when I took the training while working as secretary for the town's Police & Fire Chiefs and again recently for refresher to be armed for my g'kiddies.

When my eldest daughter was 5 months old, she stopped breathing due to crib-death. Her Dad did CPR and heart massage on her for 20 minutes until the police got us to the hospital. She's now 43 years old, married with 2 children. If her Dad had not been trained for CPR nearly 6 years earlier as a teenager volunteering at a local camp, things could have been very different.

Having this experience and knowledge can make all the difference, Eruvndi :) Have no fear and know that it is such a great tool to arm yourself with. :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 28 2014, 12:03am

Post #34 of 39 (660 views)
Shortcut
Oh acheron... I'm sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you let us know. If this will make his life better and improve his days, you know it's important... but it doesn't make putting him through this again any easier. My 2 g'sons have had health issues ever since they were born, and they also loath doctors, checkups, hospitals, and everything associated with it... but thankfully they're well enough now to have that hard opinion ;)

Hang in there. My thoughts and prayers will be with all of you!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 28 2014, 9:24pm

Post #35 of 39 (648 views)
Shortcut
I did it as a kid in Camp Fire Girls, and later as an adult. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Camp Fire thing was to prepare girls to be baby sitters. And they've offered it a few times at the college where I teach, and I've taken it a few times. I've never had to use it in my thirty years of teaching (or any other part of my life) *knock wood*, but I feel like information is power. That's why I've gone to the school shooting trainings, even though they are really upsetting. And of course the tornado and fire trainings. Once we had a fire alarm and I was in a second-story classroom with a student in a wheelchair, and I had no idea what to do. I just stayed with her and made sure it was a drill. I found out later that there are special places in that hall where firefighters check first, and we should have gone there.

Anyway, I'm coming late to the party, and I assume you've been through the training now. I hope it all went well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 28 2014, 9:26pm

Post #36 of 39 (654 views)
Shortcut
Oh, dear. My thoughts will be with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so hard to watch our kids go through tough times.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 29 2014, 12:19am

Post #37 of 39 (653 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that's so hard [In reply to] Can't Post

My son had (not major) surgery at one-and-a-half, and it's still burned into my mind, although it all went very well.

You will all be in my prayers.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2014, 12:04am

Post #38 of 39 (638 views)
Shortcut
Somewhat belated update [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.Smile It really helped a lot!

I meant to tell y'all sooner than now how things went, but school dropped a load of assignments in my lap.Crazy Anyway, everything went fine. It was very interesting and not scary at all and I am now certified. Yay!Cool It feels good to know that I could possibly save a life.

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 31 2014, 12:26am

Post #39 of 39 (635 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear it, Eruvandi! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.