The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
"The Last Debate" Complete Recordings Track

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2014, 7:57am

Post #1 of 7 (1461 views)
Shortcut
"The Last Debate" Complete Recordings Track Can't Post

I've been listening to the complete recordings lately, and I came across "The Last Debate" track. I hadn't heard it for a long time, and I'd forgotten about the last half or so that didn't even end up in the extended edition of the movie. The Hobbit movies have received some criticism for not using great pieces of music that Shore had already recorded, but sometimes it's easy to forget that something similar happened with the Lord of the Rings.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea of where this last couple minutes of the "The Last Debate" track was supposed to be used? It's really beautiful and sounds like it was meant to go along with something pretty significant. I'm sure this discussion has come up before, but I must have missed it.

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Jul 25 2014, 9:28am

Post #2 of 7 (1377 views)
Shortcut
I believe the song is "Asëa Aranion" performed by Sissel. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was origionally going to be used in the Houses of Healing scene, but they changed it to "Arwen's Song". They put it back in the Fan Credits for the Extended Edition of "Return of the King".
Hope this helps. Wink

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 25 2014, 2:32pm

Post #3 of 7 (1321 views)
Shortcut
Bumping [In reply to] Can't Post

The song which was originally written for the Houses of Healing extended scene but was bumped by Arwen's Song.

From the Annotated Score of the CR-ROTK written by Doug Adams (no longer available)
This was originally written for the film’s Houses of Healing sequence. After “Arwen’s Song” was placed there, Shore engaged Sissel to perform “Asëa Aranion” for the film’s Fan Scroll suite (where it was called 'A Shadow Lies Between Us'). It was placed in the Complete Recordings, to represent the developing affection between Éowyn and Faramir.
It's worth noting that the music was not ever intended to be used for this scene with Éowyn and Faramir.

Arwen's Song was originally intended for her vision of Eldarion with Aragorn but was bumped by The Evening Star by Renee Fleming.

There were a few people who would sync up unused music to the video of scenes for which they were intended and post them on youtube. But the PTB keep knocking them down and one just has to search to see if one can find any.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 25 2014, 2:34pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2014, 6:02pm

Post #4 of 7 (1297 views)
Shortcut
thanks to both of you [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew that another song had been recorded for the Houses of Healing, but I didn't make the connection.Laugh

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 25 2014, 11:49pm

Post #5 of 7 (1286 views)
Shortcut
I was always curious about this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a beautiful song and don't remember it being at all in the movie.

Faleel
Rohan

Jul 26 2014, 7:11pm

Post #6 of 7 (1292 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9Ui1iaVRFeXB4c0E/edit?usp=sharing

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Aug 8 2014, 5:12pm

Post #7 of 7 (1283 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

BEAUTIFUL!

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.