The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Peter Jackson likely to direct 'Doctor Who'

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 24 2014, 5:45pm

Post #1 of 13 (1411 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson likely to direct 'Doctor Who' Can't Post

In an interview with SFX magazine, 'Doctor Who' showrunner Steven Moffat stated that Peter Jackson is still in the running to direct a future episode of the long running sci-fi series.

"I think it will probably happen at some point. I mean, he can do what the hell he likes - he owns New Zealand! I think he's sincere in his 'Doctor Who" fandom, to say the least. He's a nice guy, he quite often drops me a line after a show goes out. He's into it .. it's just 'Can you make it work?' I think he would also like us to go and make it in New Zealand! And I'm like Okaaay - I'd rather we just flew you to Cardiff!"

You can read the full interview over at SFX.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jul 25 2014, 1:45am)

silvereyed
The Shire

Jul 25 2014, 3:18am

Post #2 of 13 (1323 views)
Shortcut
ugh [In reply to] Can't Post

Fly Peter Jackson to Cardiff? One of the draws of having PJ direct is filming it in NZ - which, by the way, PJ does not own. I already didn't like Steven Moffat, and this interview has only cemented my opinion that he's rude and arrogant.

To be honest, I hope Peter doesn't direct Doctor Who until Moffat has left the show.

Moahunter
Rohan

Jul 25 2014, 5:13am

Post #3 of 13 (1311 views)
Shortcut
." I mean, he can do what the hell he likes he owns New Zealand!" [In reply to] Can't Post

As a NZ resident I find this offensive and patronising.

silvereyed
The Shire

Jul 25 2014, 5:23am

Post #4 of 13 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Same [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2014, 10:19am

Post #5 of 13 (1287 views)
Shortcut
I'd love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially since he's a fan. He knows how the show works and probably has loads of ideas to have fun with that! They said he could never make Middle-earth movies; so I'd love to see him "show" the nay-sayers here, too :)

OH! I wonder what his cameo would be!?!?! *twitch*

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2014, 4:51pm

Post #6 of 13 (1275 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see such an episode [In reply to] Can't Post

and I agree with other posters about the inappropriateness of Moffatt's comments. I don't think I'd call it 'arrogance' though; rather, Moffatt reminds me of a child who has had too many toys for too long and has forgotten the sheer creativity and satisfaction of making do with what's available. And I dearly wish his appreciation of women would grow beyond his 'type' - the River Songs and Irene Adlers of his world grate on the nerves!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2014, 9:33pm

Post #7 of 13 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Heck, I thought it was funny. [In reply to] Can't Post

But then I'm a fan of comic hyperbole.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 25 2014, 9:41pm

Post #8 of 13 (1267 views)
Shortcut
I just got my latest rates invoice [In reply to] Can't Post

And I know exactly who to complain to about the increase. Laugh

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2014, 9:43pm

Post #9 of 13 (1257 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Good luck with that! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I suppose he has to fund his movies somehow. :D

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Name
Rohan

Jul 26 2014, 1:20am

Post #10 of 13 (1254 views)
Shortcut
I don't think his comment was to be taken literally. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll agree that it was comic hyperbole. Jackson is the biggest name one can think of when it comes to New Zealand and the film industry, and I think that's what was meant here.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 26 2014, 8:06pm

Post #11 of 13 (1228 views)
Shortcut
Gee... [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet you even 'get' sarcasm, too. ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Glassary
Rivendell

Jul 26 2014, 9:06pm

Post #12 of 13 (1210 views)
Shortcut
Would love to see this [In reply to] Can't Post

Think Moffatts comments were meant simply to be funny and play into what many have as the impression of the NZ movie scene.

I'd love to see PJ's take on the Doctor, also wonder if he would have his team write the episode.
Some of my favorite Who episodes are the ones by guest writers such as Neil Gaiman.

zombywoof
The Shire

Jul 28 2014, 2:45pm

Post #13 of 13 (1205 views)
Shortcut
This would be awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

As a big Moffat / Jackson / and Doctor Who fan all rolled into one, this sounds great! And the he "owns New Zealand" was a joke - and a pretty funny one, too! :-)

With kitchen prose and gutter rhymes ...

Host of Prog Rock Deep Cuts, airing Thursdays from 7-10 PM EST on houseofprog.com.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.