Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 24 2014, 9:43pm

Post #1 of 5 (402 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Welcome to the long-overdue Walk thread, where TORnFolk use exercise miles on Earth to travel through Middle Earth. I suppose I could quote Gandalf on wizards' arrival times, or Gandalf on Ents waking up, but I'll just say "wow, there's been a lot going on lately!" How go your journeys?

My progress:
Miles covered (three weeks): 79
Cumulative miles: 1416
Goal: There and Back Again!

For me & mine, it's been a long stint of Girl Scout activities, including our troop trip to South Dakota and day camp, both of which were wonderful and exhausting! Beamer's at Girl Scout Camp now and she'll have church camp next week, so I'm punting a bit on her mileages. In Middle Earth, I've made it to Beorn's land on the way back from the Lonely Mountain. Whew, that was a long way around Mirkwood!

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered (three weeks): 75
Cumulative miles: 1271
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2014, 3:05pm

Post #2 of 5 (300 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Arandiel and all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh fresher.... summer is a VERY BUSY TIME! So I think hitting the Walk updates when it's easiest is the best plan :)

Beamer is really keeping your going! GO BEAMER!! :D

I've been hauling and cleaning and moving and working outside and busting my little furry toes off all summer... so my mileage is INSANE! BUT it might calm down a bit after next weekend when I pick up my 15yo g'daughter and we get to hang out at my home for 2-3 weeks. We have about 3 marathons planned (dvd, not running ;), so I'll be slowing WAY DOWN. Then again, we play a lot of BADminton (very badly) and go for many walks on my country roads, so we will be up and about.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer... and thanks so much, Arandiel, for keeping us on the road! *waves fondly to one and all*

Miles covered: 30 miles 7/10; 34 miles 7/17; 34 miles 7/24 TOTAL 98

Cumulated miles: 3615
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2014, 5:24pm

Post #3 of 5 (314 views)
Shortcut
Wow, gramma - ZOOM! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope all this shlepping stuff is yielding visible results - it must be, right?

And it sounds like your time with your granddaughter will be tons of fun - I'm looking forward to seeing your 'BAD'minton miles! Wink

Have a great week!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 28 2014, 10:07pm

Post #4 of 5 (292 views)
Shortcut
Hey, I made it down the hill does that count? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad to see this challenge continuing even if I got lost along the way somewhere with it! Go you and all the walkers!

I have not been able to get out a lot here this year, unfortunately....our neighborhood has some hills and that was just not doable for a bit. But this past week I made it down one hill and up another!

So, it's a start..! I'll try for two hills this weekend!

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 29 2014, 2:15am

Post #5 of 5 (300 views)
Shortcut
WOOHOO! Steady on, weaver!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

YOU JUST ROCK!!! THAT'S ALL!

A Rock Star!
Rock Hard!
Rock 'n Roll Queen!

ROCK ON!!! :D

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.