The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Imitation Game [Benedict Cumberbatch]

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 12:36pm

Post #1 of 9 (399 views)
Shortcut
The Imitation Game [Benedict Cumberbatch] Can't Post

It's based on the true story of Alan Turing breaking the Enigma code.
And if you're a fan of Benedict, Mark Strong, Keira Knightly, Charles Dance and Matthew Goode, well... this may be the film for you. Wink
Check out the trailers and see what you think!

Main Trailer | UK Teaser Trailer

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 1:30pm

Post #2 of 9 (328 views)
Shortcut
Looks great. [In reply to] Can't Post

BC surely has to be careful not to get cornered into one set of roles, but this one was obviously worth it, as far as one can tell from the trailer.

I hope they do not downplay what was done to him because of his sexuality.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2014, 2:04pm

Post #3 of 9 (321 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I read that was one of the factors in making it. They wanted that to be part of the story.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 2:07pm

Post #4 of 9 (316 views)
Shortcut
That is good. [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jul 23 2014, 3:21pm

Post #5 of 9 (312 views)
Shortcut
You beat me to it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just going to post the trailer! LOL! Can't wait for this! It will also open the London Film Festival in October and open in the U.S. on Nov. 21st. An unfortunate date, since that is the premier date of the next Hunger Games film, Mockingjay Part I. (Although I doubt The Imitation Game will be marketed as a major picture here in the U.S.)

Although I am not a fan of Keira Knightly, I think Benedict's presence will more than make up for it!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 23 2014, 3:30pm

Post #6 of 9 (314 views)
Shortcut
I'm fans of all those people [In reply to] Can't Post

and this looks like a great movie that fits in the corners left by all the CGI-action flicks, fantasy/sci-fi/superhero movies, rom-coms, and buffonish/crude people acting silly movies.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Annael
Immortal

Jul 23 2014, 3:56pm

Post #7 of 9 (305 views)
Shortcut
what she said [In reply to] Can't Post

I say that a lot about your posts, Magpie Wink

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 10:10pm

Post #8 of 9 (295 views)
Shortcut
Will BC be typecast? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I love anything history-wise, so I'd probably go see it anyway, but the cast is like all the best Britian has to offer. Reminds me a bit of "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy," the first movie I saw BC in - Mark Strong was in that one, too! But I hope BC doesn't get typecast as a Sherlock character, which the portrayal looks alot like. Also reminds me of "Halt & Catch Fire" a bit - annoying guy manages to antagonize his team while they build a computer-like device. Kiera Knightly looks to be a Cameron-like math genius, hopefully she's got a better personality. Btw, a co-worker of mine described Kiera as "apathetic" and "a slightly more mannish version of Orlando Bloom" - ouch! Slams two people at once!Mad

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2014, 10:15pm

Post #9 of 9 (293 views)
Shortcut
Keira. Benedict. I'm there. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

...plus a little Charles Dance to boot.

Won't take much convincing on my part.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jul 23 2014, 10:22pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.