NEW PIC!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 23 2014, 1:36am

Post #51 of 68 (1527 views)
Shortcut
By George, I think you've got it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't ready to claim that it is Glamdring either.

You really got to the bottom of this - nice work.

What on Earth is going on with Gandalf's arsenal? Unimpressed

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 3:13am

Post #52 of 68 (1462 views)
Shortcut
the sword is glamdring [In reply to] Can't Post

and the incarnation of olorin as gandalf did not exist during the last alliance

Name
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 3:17am

Post #53 of 68 (1476 views)
Shortcut
Man I missed a lot over 6 hours! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok so it's clearly not a flashback. I think that's been established. I'm going going to agree that the staff will be cgi-ed over. As for the sword I can't tell either.

But this is a REALLY cool picture! Looks to me like it might be Gandalf intervening and trying to stop the good guys from slaughtering each other. Or perhaps it's the Arkenstone subplot?

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 23 2014, 4:21am

Post #54 of 68 (1478 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf and Thranduil, that's the photo I've been waiting for!! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Sildarion~Valenar
Bree

Jul 23 2014, 4:22am

Post #55 of 68 (1489 views)
Shortcut
It's a trick... [In reply to] Can't Post

...just a magic trick.

PJ's simply playing us with all this staff-confusion.
A ploy (and a joke) to keep us abuzz while we wait for the trailer

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Jul 23 2014, 5:02am

Post #56 of 68 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Always love to see new pics, especially those with my dearest wizard on it.

But now back to the picture - first of all I just love it. With no CGI around it resembles me so much of good old LOTR, colours are similar from those in Osgiliath and it definitely feels like the same world. Just keep it up that way.

Hmm perhaps this is a flashback because Gandalf doesn't look so tired and injured like on other pics from Dale, but then again when and where would it take place? Plus we have all this confusion with his staff and sword so it's difficult to say anything but I still believe this is happening in Dale just before battle begins.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 23 2014, 5:37am

Post #57 of 68 (1426 views)
Shortcut
I'm not convinced. ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

The angle and lighting make it difficult to discern the shape of the pommel. But what about the scabbard? Looks identical to Glamdring's.

Maybe this prop looks different to the "hero sword" version

^ This is a more likely scenario. I'm trying to remember which scene in AUJ Bilbo clearly has a floppy plastic Sting?

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Jul 23 2014, 7:00am

Post #58 of 68 (1411 views)
Shortcut
Great pic! and more Gandy... [In reply to] Can't Post

I definitely missed Gandalf's presence in DOS, but I think he will feature heavily in BOTFA, hopefully Bilbo will do too as he got a bit lost in the midsection of DOS. Now that I think about it we also have Beorn, Fili and Kili and of course Thorin! It's going to be a tough job making sure all these characters get a chance to shine, I hope they pull it off.

'Everywhere I lie theres a dirty great root sticking into my back!'

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 8:06am

Post #59 of 68 (1389 views)
Shortcut
wasnt it mentioned [In reply to] Can't Post

Somewhere (from McCoy or even Jackson) that the staff can open and close depending on the Situation ?! Had that in mind....
Something was said like "a secret we will learn more about at the beginning of the third film"

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 8:29am

Post #60 of 68 (1362 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in the commentary PJ and PB state that there is a reason why Gandalf does not have his FotR staff in AUJ and that we will learn why during the end of film 2 and the beginning of film 3, if you mean that secret.

We saw his AUJ staff burn - so that is solved.

Now we should see Gandalf getting his new one.

Maybe Sauron did not burn Gandalf's staff in the earlier script-versions and therefore he got it back later.

Since large parts of the Bot5A was filmed during pickups last year, I am sure they will have re-shot some stuff and will use CGI for other scenes.

Weird though that such a picture gets released... they surely must have a lot of material with the new staff or simply without any staff.

Even if Radagast's staff can open and close... this one is imho clearly Gandalf's old one and no closed version of Radagast's.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 23 2014, 8:31am)

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 8:38am

Post #61 of 68 (1348 views)
Shortcut
hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

Warner Bros.now don't look at the released pictures thinking:

"What have we done"

adt100
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 8:55am

Post #62 of 68 (1316 views)
Shortcut
True, but like all these pics it's an on-set pic, not a film screenshot. [In reply to] Can't Post

For the final film I would be pretty confident that whatever this scene is, the final staff shown would be the 'correct' Radagast/FOTR staff. It's seems pretty clear from all we've seen that this is most likely the ruined city of Dale. Thranduil and his Elves also have their armour on and Gandalf is looking somewhat 'dishevelled' with no hat etc.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 8:55am

Post #63 of 68 (1347 views)
Shortcut
I wished they'd seem to care that much... [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

boldog
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 9:08am

Post #64 of 68 (1330 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf looks pissed at Thranduil! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is interesting. Why does Gandalf look at Thranduil the way he does? I wonder how their relationship will be in this film. Im thinking Gandalf will face the same sort of frustration, he faced with denethor. A stubborn king, to reason with Tongue

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 11:39am

Post #65 of 68 (1280 views)
Shortcut
I'm not convinced either... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I've no idea what it means. As you pointed out, it's (probably) not a flashback because of the setting.

But the sword does look different - The scabbard has a slightly different shaped chape (the metal thing protecting the point) and the sword has a different pommel. But so does this - http://oi49.tinypic.com/33vp9n4.jpg is that Glamdring?? Does he have two swords?

And that's unarguably his first staff.

I'm also leaning more toward "wrong props" due to the setting not making sense. But I don't know... I'm just making observations, really. I noticed the sword was wrong before I noticed his staff. I like swords - particularly Glamdring. Tongue

Name
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 12:25pm

Post #66 of 68 (1255 views)
Shortcut
That is not Glamdring [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf didn't take Glamdring with him to Isengard in FotR. Maybe he just didn't carry it with him that much. I don't know. But I know in the movie world he left it with Elrond in Rivendell.

(This post was edited by Name on Jul 23 2014, 12:26pm)

Name
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 12:33pm

Post #67 of 68 (1292 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

Notice the staffs are different in these two Gandalf pictures that were just released. In the first one it is definitely not his AUJ staff. Which just proves, in my mind, that these staffs are just props, and since we aren't seeing an actual finished movie image, we shouldn't take it too seriously.

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 25 2014, 2:17am

Post #68 of 68 (1142 views)
Shortcut
genetics [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil and Legolas are Sindarin elves, not woodelves. And Thranduil was described in TH novel as being golden haired. So logically his son (unless his mother was a wood elf and he took after her) would be blonde as well.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.