Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Possible spoiler about surprise BOFA participants?

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 22 2014, 3:16pm

Post #1 of 18 (2745 views)
Shortcut
Possible spoiler about surprise BOFA participants? Can't Post

Reviews editor of Empire magazine, Nick de Semlyen, tweeted this on the back of mentioning that the trailer would drop very soon:

Nick de Semlyen @NickdeSemlyen · 14m
Forget War Horse - The Hobbit Part 3 will feature battle goats. BATTLE GOATS.

Is he being facetious? Possibly, but I'm not sure. I suspect he may well have seen the trailer for one thing, and that these goats might just pop up in there. And he's not getting them confused with boars either (at least his reply to someone's comment about Dain riding a boar doesn't suggest he is). I suppose also it tallies with mention somewhere of other beasts taking part in the battle. I can't remember now where I read this - it may well have been an old Empire feature.

And this seemingly confirms it:

Fili leaps onto and falls off a (fake) goat
Thanks to Ringer Sophia for telling us about this one starting at around 4 minutes and 8 seconds in the vid below (Source: Hobbit Q&A panel at Boston Comic Con 2013)

Aidan Turner: Does everyone know how Dean hurt his leg? He fell off a fake goat.
Dean O’Gorman: I did. I went “wheeee!”. I landed on it, and in slow motion this would have looked like I landed and was cool for about a second and then I went *mimes toppling over*.
Aidan Turner: The funny thing is they have to keep that take in the movie. So you see him jump on that goat that’s [garbled].
Dean O’Gorman: Yeah because I couldn’t do it again because I was going “aaaah, flip!”.

If true, I'm not a fan of the idea myself...whose goats would they be for starters? I guess they must belong to the Dwarves of the Iron Hills, and that they'll be mounted on them as well as boars (and who knows what else besides?). But surely our Dwarves won't be riding them at any point? The bit from Dean O'Gorman seems to suggest they might go crazy during battle and some Dwarves end up jumping on them, probably for the purpose of madcap action sequences...Crazy

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jul 22 2014, 3:29pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 3:28pm

Post #2 of 18 (2024 views)
Shortcut
It must be some big goats then [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they're rams and not goats? Ala this: http://imgur.com/XgAC13r

Or could it be Beorn leading a charge of animals?

(This post was edited by Carne on Jul 22 2014, 3:30pm)

Name
Rohan

Jul 22 2014, 3:38pm

Post #3 of 18 (1999 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

It will either work or it won't. I do hope they can pull it off.

Maybe Fili and Kili will die from being trampled by a goat stampede. Laugh

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

(This post was edited by Name on Jul 22 2014, 3:38pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 22 2014, 3:57pm

Post #4 of 18 (1947 views)
Shortcut
I think it'd be cool - if true they are probably not "nice" goats [In reply to] Can't Post

And it would make sense - in that in AUJ and WETA books there are some kind of large horned goat or antelope pulling carts.

Look what they did the bunnies - big, wild, jackrabbit looking things. And it would make sense that mountain dwarves would make use of sure-footed, strong animals like the mountain goats we have in the U.S. - or bighorn sheep and round the world there seems to be any number of large "goat" species that have horns and would be outright dangerous at need. (I need to look up "mountain goats" worldwide now!)

Going on a bit here but love animals and all over the world indigenous people have close relationships with certain animal groups in the mountains, so to me this sounds excellent. Don't think these would be the cute little kid goats we have at petting zoos, but big nasty things that could potentially gore a warg. I'm looking forward to the war boars too.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 22 2014, 4:23pm

Post #5 of 18 (1916 views)
Shortcut
A NOTE.of interest from "That Old MountainGoat?" known [In reply to] Can't Post

as Bomby?

WHO has scaled MANYMountains
in Colorado...

MountainGOATS
on the sides of
The Lonely Mountain...

Likely were NOT eliminated
By Mister "BADass" Magnificent?

WHY?... they live well @ High Altitude!
on mostly Vertical Landscapes..

Bounding,
Leaping impossible distances &
Landing on tiny littl'...Rocky Points...

Doubtful that they would be
"Easy Pickin'z"
for ANY...
.....Fire-Breathing Dragon..

Who likely could
NOT SMOKE.. them
OUT!

Another?..."BizarroMundo Theory of the DAY"
from MISTER BADass...Bomby

Colorado's STATE Animal..izz..The BIGHORN
Sheep... only
Seen near 10,000 feet above
Sea level

Crazy

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2014, 4:23pm

Post #6 of 18 (1919 views)
Shortcut
I like that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves that stared at goats!

Goats, boars, bears, bats, eagles!

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 22 2014, 4:36pm

Post #7 of 18 (1883 views)
Shortcut
Life is different @ HIGH Altitude...soo [In reply to] Can't Post

JUS' How Tall is the LONELY MOUNTAIN?

Guess...zzz Precious?

This Riddle must be solved?
soon, or
"you DON"T ..GET
....go PAST ..GO?

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jul 22 2014, 4:37pm)

MTT Gandalf
Bree

Jul 22 2014, 5:18pm

Post #8 of 18 (1867 views)
Shortcut
The Tapestry about the goat [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lineage of Durin Tapestry reveals, that the goat-symbol belongs to the Ered Mithrim, see this thread:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...orum.cgi?post=755698

So, it can mean, that the Iron Hill dwarves will ride boars, and the Ered Mithrim dwarves will ride goats.

aifeme
Rivendell

Jul 22 2014, 7:20pm

Post #9 of 18 (1779 views)
Shortcut
This whole goat idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's as goofy as Radagast's bunny sled:/
So unfortunately, this is possibleCrazy

TORn lurker since 2002:]

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 22 2014, 8:33pm

Post #10 of 18 (1716 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure it's true [In reply to] Can't Post

Fingers crossed it works in the film though.

Seaber
Rivendell

Jul 22 2014, 9:27pm

Post #11 of 18 (1683 views)
Shortcut
It looks like there is a Goat statue in Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

https://twitter.com/theoneringnet/status/491687929681420288/photo/1

Bishop
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 3:56am

Post #12 of 18 (1602 views)
Shortcut
You've been Peter Jackson'd!! [In reply to] Can't Post

A long while back I started a thread (for fun) theorizing things Jackson might do during the Smaug attack on Laketown, which included Legolas riding a wave caused by the giant statue of the Master plunging into the water. I would have never bet on Dwarves riding goats, but it just goes to show you how ridiculous the final battle might be. Now I'm not saying the battle will be bad. In fact it may be the most impressive battle ever committed to film. But if this trilogy has taught us anything, it's that there's nothing we should not expect.

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Jul 23 2014, 8:22am

Post #13 of 18 (1568 views)
Shortcut
I don't see what the issue with this is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Goats could work as mounts for Dwarves.

It might be that only Dain and a select few Dwarves - his bodyguards perhaps - are riding boars, and the rest of his army are riding goats.

Kind of like how a king would ride a white horse and the rest of his army would ride black or brown horses. Distinction.

I personally can't wait for it.

We thought the ride of the Rohirrim in RotK was great - imagine it with horned goats and tusked boars!! Shocked

Moahunter
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 10:04am

Post #14 of 18 (1531 views)
Shortcut
I think its a statue of a deer... [In reply to] Can't Post

not a goat.

Taladamir
The Shire

Jul 23 2014, 10:27am

Post #15 of 18 (1532 views)
Shortcut
the arkenstone subplot [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet this has got something to do with where they've gone with the Arkenstone stuff. After all the trouble they've gone to get the jewel back(movieverse) it would look odd if the whole subplot was a rabbit trail. So I'd guess that there will not just be dwarves from the Iron Hills at BOFA, but dwarves from other Places, someone mentioned a goat on the tapestry, connected with Ered Mithruin. So PJ and co are bringing in everybody, somebody must have figured these other dwarves couldn't get there in time if they were to travel on foot(to long a distance for 'natural sprinters'). So these other dwarves have adapted animals other than horses for their purposes, only natural if they couldn't get horses or if they were in a poor spot to raise/keep horses. Natives of the Americas used other beasts such as lamas and dogs as beasts of burden before Europeans brought horses. As to whether or not it will work I have no idea....you know the saying 'never bring a knife to a gunfight'? I think these poor suckers just brought goats to a warg fightCrazy

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2014, 10:53am

Post #16 of 18 (1516 views)
Shortcut
Bomby I´m sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

but I have no clue I guess I wiould have been eaten by Gollum, unless a bird would tell me the answer in the last momentShocked

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Jul 23 2014, 12:35pm

Post #17 of 18 (1517 views)
Shortcut
Dean O'Gorman confirmed this [In reply to] Can't Post

At Boston ComicCon last year, Dean O'Gorman recounted his attempt to mount a "goat", and how he ended up with his knee in a big ole brace! This Con took place right after the end of pick-up shooting last summer (2013). So, yes, there will probably be goats!

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jul 23 2014, 4:46pm

Post #18 of 18 (1467 views)
Shortcut
I've seen this statue before... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and its some kind of antelope/gazelle.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.