The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Smells like trolling

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 4:17am

Post #1 of 11 (3924 views)
Shortcut
Smells like trolling Can't Post

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 22 2014, 7:22pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 22 2014, 9:43am

Post #2 of 11 (3839 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if it is worth adding a sentence or two into the TOS? [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't find anything in the FAQ or TOS about impersonating another user. Though it would fit under the general rules of good netiquette. I think the problem here is that it is direct impersonation, and it is on the verge of trolling the original member (as well as being totally irrelevant to TH movie board). If it were just a like-username it wouldn't be a problem. But people are mistaking this new user for the original user, which is a result of their intentional posting style.

I realise the TOS aren't an exhaustive list of rules. But could something like this be slotted in to the TOS:

No impersonating another member (or banned member), moderator, celebrity, or otherwise falsely and deliberately representing yourself in any way for malicious and hostile purposes.

It could probably get slotted into #2, 3, 6, 8 or 10. Thoughts?

At least then someone could answer their question why there can't be two of them ...

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 22 2014, 10:05am

Post #3 of 11 (3832 views)
Shortcut
Sure does [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a bizarro world alright.
It keeps reminding me of this.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 22 2014, 10:54am

Post #4 of 11 (3814 views)
Shortcut
Weird [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I read Bomburdil's thread as a new member who was inspired by Bombadil and was trying to write in the same way (hence saying maybe they have the same mother). I felt quite bad for him getting his thread locked, he wasn't trying to pretend he was Bomdadil.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 22 2014, 11:38am

Post #5 of 11 (3808 views)
Shortcut
imo [In reply to] Can't Post

he was totally trying to imitate Bombadil and he had a number of regular users thinking he was. And I don't think he'd mind one bit if someone mistakenly thought he ws Bombadil.

It is in poor taste. Especially when you're imitating a style of speech/writing in which case it comes off as mocking.

If someone did this to me I'd find it distressing and I am not amused at this imitation.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 12:15pm

Post #6 of 11 (3800 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially since this last thread had no other topic than commenting on the obvious similarity and invited other posts of a troll-nature.

I think noone would mind a creative poster who has some content and arguments to offer.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 1:54pm

Post #7 of 11 (3788 views)
Shortcut
Good idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's worth adding myself. Just to make sure people don't do this to make others look bad in the future.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 22 2014, 1:54pm

Post #8 of 11 (3791 views)
Shortcut
Glad I'm not alone [In reply to] Can't Post

It just seemed funky right away.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2014, 7:22pm

Post #9 of 11 (3777 views)
Shortcut
Thanks guys (and Cirashala, above). [In reply to] Can't Post

We're onto it.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2014, 10:04pm

Post #10 of 11 (3749 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I saw something this person posted, I found it very confusing and wondered if the original had gotten the Mods to change his user name or something since he sometimes jokes about being related to Bombur, but also noted that this member's join date was recent. If someone was imitating me like that, I'd be creeped out. I'm kind of creeped out on the original's behalf, to be honest.Crazy

A new rule may very well be needed.

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 24 2014, 4:08am

Post #11 of 11 (3775 views)
Shortcut
Decades ago I was on an unmoderated board [In reply to] Can't Post

where anybody could post under any name, so of course the trolls used the names of board members. I'd see the most awful things under my name. The board eventually went down in flames and never recovered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.