I write something other than Prose or Poetry, (Explain below) 5 / 6%
81 total votes

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 8:28pm

Post #51 of 66 (584 views)
Shortcut
I know the feeling. [In reply to] Can't Post

That thought gets me motivated in my active phases.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 8:30pm

Post #52 of 66 (594 views)
Shortcut
Ah.... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I have to write quickly, I usually leave out letters and words, and am left with a cryptogram to solve. Not always successfully, though!!!!Sly

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 8:31pm

Post #53 of 66 (582 views)
Shortcut
Ah, well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it might be motivation because then you'd know you can do it. Good luck to you all the same!!!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 8:36pm

Post #54 of 66 (585 views)
Shortcut
From what I gather... [In reply to] Can't Post

(Not wool! Wink) You are still young, so you have lots of time. When I started writing , I was told two things:

You need to read, in order to write. Read a variety of well-written books and take inspiration. As you get an idea of what you want to write, read books in a similar style/vein.

You need to write. Doesn't always matter what, but always finish what you start. Even if it is horrible, you will only hone your skills and be better the next time 'round.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 8:40pm

Post #55 of 66 (580 views)
Shortcut
I get that feeling too... [In reply to] Can't Post

...When I have been away for a while, but it is always fun to come back to something I enjoy doing.

It sounds like you have a lot going on, but that gives you more material to work on. I don't know about you, but I like having a surplus of inspiration.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2014, 8:42pm

Post #56 of 66 (585 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the reasons I write, is because they are the kind of stories I like to read. Not to sound proud or boastful, but I simply enjoy them. Once I get one into fair shape, I also hope to share the pleasure with others.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2014, 2:57am

Post #57 of 66 (598 views)
Shortcut
The "secret" [In reply to] Can't Post

is to write it back out in full, as soon as possible - it's amazing what you can remember, as you write!

I know a bit of German, and will sometimes use that in the Briefhand, such as using "zw" instead of "btwn" (zwischen, between).

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 4:25pm

Post #58 of 66 (571 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but not published yet [In reply to] Can't Post

I've really only finished 2 of the stories I've written, both contemporary fiction. I think I might try to self-publish one of them. I'm currently working on what I'd call a "historical fantasy," that is, probably less than 10% historical basis for this story about Vikings in Newfoundland (I've mentioned it before on TORn'). I love historical fiction, but it's much harder to write than you'd imagine. I started one several years ago, about a female outlaw, maybe some day I'll pick that one back up again. The "Vikings" story would be closer to "Outlander" while the female outlaw would be closer to "White Queen" as far as historical accuracy goes. I would REALLY love to get published, no delusions about being the next JK Rowling though.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 2:24pm

Post #59 of 66 (551 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes... the wonders of short-term memory... [In reply to] Can't Post

I find that my cryptic messages are easier to decipher when done soon after. If only my long-term memory could retain as much.Crazy

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2014, 2:26pm

Post #60 of 66 (564 views)
Shortcut
Awesome!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

So how does being finished with a story feel? Sometimes I feel like I'll never do it, but then I just get down and write some more. Good luck on getting published! Do you know anyone in the business that could give you a hand?

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 30 2014, 12:19am

Post #61 of 66 (558 views)
Shortcut
Feels pretty good [In reply to] Can't Post

It IS good to actually hold the finished product in my hands - even if I'm not published yet! Especially when I think of all those stories I started but never finished, but I understand lots of authors do that.

theodwyn

Aug 2 2014, 12:16am

Post #62 of 66 (553 views)
Shortcut
i used to.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't anymore.. I would love to write again, to have that same passion for it that I used to.. however, there are certain limitations that keep me from really jumping in feet first.. there was this one plot line that I used to think about all the time, developing characters here or changing circumstances there.. I still have the basic premise in my mind.. :) but most details I've forgotten.. I would love, love, love to think clearly enough to write well.. heck, to write at all! Perhaps one day....

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 3 2014, 7:30pm

Post #63 of 66 (550 views)
Shortcut
I hope that time and circumstances will allow you to do so... [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand circumstances and physical conditions limiting oneself, but if you remembered this one thing in particular, I hope that means it is important. Good luck to you!!

theodwyn

Aug 6 2014, 9:11pm

Post #64 of 66 (532 views)
Shortcut
yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a good point.. maybe I shouldn't focus so much on the "grandness" of the story, but should just start writing and working out the details as I go.. I have kept the basic premise in my head for years..

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 12 2014, 5:35am

Post #65 of 66 (518 views)
Shortcut
Voted a few cos it's a conundrum for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Mainly
  • "I write Non-fiction": I did a few op-eds for a local paper, which started with a letter to the press about a distressing case of animal abuse that was happening. The editor wrote back and offered to print it as an op-ed so I did, in the name of world-peace and all that jazz. Then I actually got a cheque, a very small one, but still it surprised me. Then through that half-year period I wrote a few more in relation to animal welfare and stuff in the country. I had thought it'd be a great sideline and was planning to branch out and start writing about other stuff too, even getting one social-commentary out, but the editor left and her successors had their own ideas and I didn't pursue it due to work. Lost opportunity for sure.
  • "I write Fiction": Well, fan-fiction. Specifically ME fan-fiction exploring gaps in the mythos, with utmost consideration for canon. I think we spoke a little about this before in one of the Thranduil Appreciation threads, REM. That was a long while back. Again, work intruded and I have many pieces waiting to be finished, or get written at all.
  • "I write Poetry or Music": Well, again, it's fan-fiction for ME Smile
  • "I write something other than Prose or Poetry". I blog too. Twitter and tumblr scares me so I'm sticking with the old-school trusty wordpress. Also, in my work, documentation is important, not that anyone really gives enough crap about it. But yes, I do write outside of the fandom. Not so much recently, but it's really something that's a function of the work situation. I've just been shaking legs so far in this one.
  • "I did before, but not much any more". Time, or lack thereof, is the main excuse for all the preceding points, for my total neglect of writing for fun, for myself for the past 8 or so years. Thanks to Avandel's "goading" and kind accommodation, the Thrall Wars silliness in the Fan Art board has been a great reviver of the musies. There's fun and enjoyment and I'm writing again. But I am so rusty that it's sometimes a struggle to articulate what's in my head and so things have to stew in the brain for a fair bit before I can even spit it out. Frankly, I don't want to get through this warm-up experience again so I will not allow myself to lapse so completely ever again. I am also going back to blogging, which I did a ton of before. Though I am taking it slow and treating it as an opportunity to re-earn my ME fandom cred since my fandoms lapsed along with my writing.

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Aug 17 2014, 11:57pm

Post #66 of 66 (506 views)
Shortcut
I mostly dabble with fan fiction...does that count? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've written one fanfic tale in the form of kinda like a poem but I just keep it for myself. I'm also working on another fanfic but a novel this time...I don't know if it will turn out as well but then the odds of anyone but me reading it are very slim!

On another note, if I had creative ideas I'd love to be a novelist or some kind of journalist even! :)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.