The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Attack on Dol Guldur vs The battle of five armies

boldog
Rohan

Jul 21 2014, 11:04am

Post #1 of 13 (1133 views)
Shortcut
Attack on Dol Guldur vs The battle of five armies Can't Post

What im thinking and hoping for, is that these two battles will be distinctively different to one another.

I want the dol guldur battle to be full of magic, and true elements of fantasy. There is no need for many orcs in this battle. Just leave the nine, a few orc minions and Sauron, and we are set for a truly EPIC fantasy moment!

The battle of five armies however, I hope is full of physical elements. The Dol Guldur battle will likely be done by the time we get to this point. So what im hoping for, is that after the great magical deeds done in dol guldur, this battle is purely physical, and closer to reality. IMHO the closer it is to real life warfare, the better it will be! More emotional, and much more relatable to the audience! Also when you think of it, all participants (Dwarves, Men, Elves, and Orcs) are all basically humanoid beings, not wraiths, or dragons, or dark lords. Obviously the eagles at the end of it will be very unbelievable, but at least they shouldnt be around for most the battle.

This whole point of the war being very realistic, is also why I am strongly against Smaug being resurrected to lead the orcs!!! I am really fearing, that this is the whole reason PJ is looking forward to the battle. Because of his addition of Smaug! Mad I seriously hope im stressing too much, because I will seriously cry if Smaug is in the battle. He will basically just diminish its significance!!

thoughts?

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Jul 21 2014, 11:20am

Post #2 of 13 (701 views)
Shortcut
Wondering Dol Guldur more, and Smaug MUST die before BOFA [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm wondering about Dol Guldur more than BOFA. I think Dol Guldur attack will be perfect. I expect Saruman will lead this attack;he will drow sword and fight the evil in Dol Guldur. But seriously, when i first saw Elrond in Dol Guldur, my expectations and hopes broke a little bit. Because he shouldn't be there.
And about Smaug, if they make him lead the enemy forces, then PJ will be the biggest son of a ... in the movie history. Smaug MUST die before BOFA started. Nothing else.

Fleuz
Lorien

Jul 21 2014, 11:27am

Post #3 of 13 (692 views)
Shortcut
BOFA with Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

wouldn't be as important.
The hole thing with alliance and partnership would be gone.
And in DG I don't need any Orc. Just magic.
But Lee already said, that "he" will be doing much fighting.
Well. Maybe he meant the Nine. But it sounds like there are some Orcs left for the confrontation.
But I hope not too much, like an army. More like a little brigade to secure the fortress.

Hopefully the difference will be the thrilling factor of the battles.

Name
Rohan

Jul 21 2014, 11:53am

Post #4 of 13 (655 views)
Shortcut
Smaug will die [In reply to] Can't Post

Before BoFa. Trust me. There's no way he's kept alive. It would never work.

As for Elrond, the reason he's there is because he's part if the White Council, and the Council is the group that launches the attack. Tolkien was always pretty vague when it came to DG, but since Galadriel and Gandalf were there, bearers of two elven rings, one can pretty fairly assume Elrond, the bearer of the third ring, was there as well.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2014, 1:24pm

Post #5 of 13 (599 views)
Shortcut
Full of action movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Wwith a quick pace:

1- Attack to Laketown and Smaug´s fate

2-Battle of Dol Guldur

3-Battle of the five armies

I dont know if the two first will ocurr at the same time

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Rickster
Rohan

Jul 21 2014, 2:30pm

Post #6 of 13 (535 views)
Shortcut
It would be great [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be great if the Battle of 5 armies included some amazing fight scenes

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2014, 6:57pm

Post #7 of 13 (450 views)
Shortcut
Elrond probably was not there in Tolkien canon... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because in the final chapter of The Hobbit, when Bilbo and Gandalf stop off in Rivendell on their return journey, Bilbo overhears Gandalf filling Elrond in on what went down in Dol Guldur.

With that said, having Elrond take part in the White Council assault is a change I can get onboard with. If there were more members of the White Council in the movies (like Celeborn, Cirdan, or Glorfindel), then I would have said let Elrond stay in Rivendell like he's supposed to. But since the White Council has been reduced to only 4 members (maybe 5 if you want to include Radagast), I think it makes sense for Elrond to take part in the battle.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2014, 7:01pm

Post #8 of 13 (446 views)
Shortcut
Elrond taking part in Dol Guldur... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is nowhere near the most annoying deviation from canon, at least not for me. If Azog can survive Azanulbizar and resurface 150 years later (to mention someone who "shouldn't be there"), Elrond can take part in Dol Guldur.

But seriously, when i first saw Elrond in Dol Guldur, my expectations and hopes broke a little bit. Because he shouldn't be there.

MTT Gandalf
Bree

Jul 21 2014, 9:03pm

Post #9 of 13 (400 views)
Shortcut
The text: [In reply to] Can't Post

Then the elves of the valley came out and greeted them and led them across the water to the house of Elrond. There a warm welcome was made them, and there were many eager ears that evening to hear the tale of their adventures. Gandalf it was who spoke, for Bilbo was fallen quiet and drowsy. Most of the tale he knew, for he had been in it, and had himself told much of it to the wizard on their homeward way or in the house of Beorn; but every now and again he would open one eye, and listen, when a part of the story which he did not yet know came in. It was in this way that he learned where Gandalf had been to; for he overheard the words of the wizard to Elrond. It appeared that Gandalf had been to a great council of the white wizards, masters of lore and good magic; and that they had at last driven the Necromancer from his dark hold in the south of Mirkwood.
"Ere long now," Gandalf was saying, "The Forest will grow somewhat more wholesome. The North will be freed from that horror for many long years, I hope. Yet I wish he were banished from the world!"
"It would be well indeed," said Elrond; "but I fear that will not come about in this age of the world, or for many after."

It does not say, that Elrond wasn't there. Gandalf spoke to Elrond (and to other elves: "there were many eager ears") about the Necromancer, that's all, what the text tell us.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 22 2014, 12:32pm

Post #10 of 13 (339 views)
Shortcut
It would be mystifying [In reply to] Can't Post

And it would be truly upsetting if the Battle of 5 Armies didn't include some amazing fight scenes.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

adt100
Rohan

Jul 22 2014, 12:34pm

Post #11 of 13 (334 views)
Shortcut
Pretty sure Azog will lead the Orc army flying on the back of Smaug.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... jokes, he'll be die in Esgaroth.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 22 2014, 12:58pm

Post #12 of 13 (344 views)
Shortcut
Re: Attack on Dol Guldur vs The battle of five armies [In reply to] Can't Post

The assault on Dol Guldur will be fantastically intense with the uttering of special tongues and the casting of formidable spells.

The Battle of Five Armies will be seriously gritty with the visceral shouts of brave warriors and the dismembering of sadistic orcs.

Smile

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2014, 8:05pm

Post #13 of 13 (260 views)
Shortcut
You're right... [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't really make 100% clear whether he was or wasn't there.

I guess that was just how I always interpreted it. Regardless of whether it's canon or not, I hope to see Elrond fighting in Dol Guldur.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.