Cirdan The Shipwright
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 27 2014, 10:56pm

Post #26 of 33 (526 views)
Shortcut
You're right [In reply to] Can't Post

Aslan IS meant to be Jesus in the Narnia books. Aslan implies it in "The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader"

“It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy. "It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?"
"But you shall meet me, dear one," said Aslan.
"Are -are you there too, Sir?" said Edmund.
"I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 28 2014, 4:29am

Post #27 of 33 (511 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the quote [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know Narnia well enough to be able to cite anything like that. That's what I was aiming for, though.

BTW, now when I read anything that Aslan says, I hear Liam Neeson say it. Tongue

TolkienBlog.com

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 28 2014, 4:35am

Post #28 of 33 (507 views)
Shortcut
I like quoting things lol [In reply to] Can't Post

That line always stuck with me for some reason, I hear Liam Neeson every time I read Narnia too which I haven't in a long while. LOTR is my go to for fantasy lol

(This post was edited by Barrow-Wight on Jul 28 2014, 4:36am)

mawguy
The Shire

Jul 28 2014, 5:30am

Post #29 of 33 (512 views)
Shortcut
not surprising... [In reply to] Can't Post

... as tolkien's catholicism was quite important. :)

on a slight tangent: your thought got me thinking (a rare occurrence) that cirdan could be seen as a direct counterpart/contrast to the scary, three-headed guardian that samwise had to pass to rescue frodo (sorry, names are escaping me right now and i don't have the book handy).

thanks for an intriguing comparison! :)

"Alas for us all! And for all that walk the world in these after-days. For such is the way of it: to find and lose, as it seems to those whose boat is on the running stream. But I count you blessed, Gimli son of Glóin: for your loss you suffer of your own free will, and you might have chosen otherwise. But you have not forsaken your companions, and the least reward that you shall have is that the memory of Lothlórien shall remain ever clear and unstained in your heart, and shall neither fade nor grow stale."

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 4:35am

Post #30 of 33 (493 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I've actually read very little fantasy outside of Tolkien. I just don't find Narnia half as compelling. Lewis's Space Trilogy is much better, IMO.

TolkienBlog.com

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 29 2014, 1:32pm

Post #31 of 33 (486 views)
Shortcut
Narnia didn't do it for me either. [In reply to] Can't Post

He is too preachy for me. Although I greatly enjoyed his adult novel "Until we have Faces" which is a retelling of the Cupid and psyche story.

http://www.amagpiesnest.com/a/torn/fotr25.jpg

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

Jul 29 2014, 1:46pm

Post #32 of 33 (484 views)
Shortcut
Lewis' Space Triology.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the first two books, Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra a long time ago. I could not get through the third volume, That Hideous Strength, but remember some of it alluded to Numenor from the Silmarillion. I was fascinated by the first two books and you've piqued my interest in reading them again Smile

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 30 2014, 4:08am

Post #33 of 33 (506 views)
Shortcut
That Hideous Strength is pretty different [In reply to] Can't Post

It does reference Númenor (spelled Numinor, I believe, since Lewis had never seen it printed). The whole plot is very different from the other two books, though. Perelandra is definitely my favorite of the trilogy.

DaughterofLaketown, I loved Till We Have Faces, too. Apparently some critic read it without knowing that it was written by Lewis. He said it must have been written by a woman because no man could have such insight into a woman's mind. When he found out Lewis wrote it, he wasn't too happy!

TolkienBlog.com

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.