The music isn't up to par
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 23 2014, 6:46am

Post #76 of 81 (369 views)
Shortcut
Ok, what are the rules? [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Tolkien. Read LotR many times, most other works at least once, most supporting bios, etc. Loved LotR movies, though carped some at Jacksonian changes and non-sequiturs (Arwen is dying?). Loved LotR music. Went to Return of the One Ring Oscar party in 2004. Went to 2 LotR concerts in NY from CA. Bought complete score, book, listened many times.

So, although I generally like The Hobbit films, I'm not blown away. And I'm disappointed by the music (see thread title). That's my honest opinion. Why am I being dumped on? I mean no disrespect to those who love TH without reservation. I'm just voicing my opinion. Isn't that what we're her for?

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jul 23 2014, 6:48am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 12:59pm

Post #77 of 81 (348 views)
Shortcut
I empathise with you, Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like you do. It is a shame that some people appear to take it as a personal insult when one says one doesn't like something or other about the films. Without criticism (which is certainly politely expressed in your case), these boards would surely be very dull.

I really like AUJ, especially when it comes to the acting and many of the visuals, and the music, and have said so. The acting and casting were perhaps better overall when it came to important characters than they were in LotR, although the film doesn't do nearly as much for me as the LotR films did. Perhaps the lack of commitment to Tolkien's work shows through? This certainly wasn't the case when it came to LotR, because I remember PJ constantly saying that he was constantly referring to Tolkien's work. There's none of that now, and it all seems to be about making as much money as possible, ŕ la Marvel comic-book films. (Personally, I think the strategy has rather misfired, and the films would probably have made more money had a different strategy been employed.)

DoS was a severe disappointment for me, after much anticipation, for several key reasons. For me, what I didn't like about the film overwhelmed what I did like – it's as though a tipping point was reached. I feel the need to say so on a forum that discusses the films in general. Perhaps it's a way of dealing with the disappointment, with the hope that the film-makers will improve the situation in the EE/next film? It's a shame that some people can't accept that.

In Reply To
I love Tolkien. Read LotR many times, most other works at least once, most supporting bios, etc. Loved LotR movies, though carped some at Jacksonian changes and non-sequiturs (Arwen is dying?). Loved LotR music. Went to Return of the One Ring Oscar party in 2004. Went to 2 LotR concerts in NY from CA. Bought complete score, book, listened many times.

So, although I generally like The Hobbit films, I'm not blown away. And I'm disappointed by the music (see thread title). That's my honest opinion. Why am I being dumped on? I mean no disrespect to those who love TH without reservation. I'm just voicing my opinion. Isn't that what we're her for?

Name
Rohan

Jul 23 2014, 1:16pm

Post #78 of 81 (334 views)
Shortcut
Some honest points here [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you have misinterpreted Jackson's goal though. I never have, and never will, have the notion that he makes a change because he thinks it will bring in more money. That's not the kind of person he is. WB will do that, but not the directors. The films are made the way he wants, and that's the issue here.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 23 2014, 1:21pm

Post #79 of 81 (334 views)
Shortcut
I did always think this [In reply to] Can't Post

However, who knows? I don't know the man personally, and have grown suspicious of his motives recently, as a result of DoS…

In Reply To
I think you have misinterpreted Jackson's goal though. I never have, and never will, have the notion that he makes a change because he thinks it will bring in more money. That's not the kind of person he is. WB will do that, but not the directors. The films are made the way he wants, and that's the issue here.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2014, 1:28pm

Post #80 of 81 (326 views)
Shortcut
Oh I agree totally [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been critical of some aspects of the films as well. I don't like them as much as I did LOTR but then, this is art and to be enjoyed or not by each individual and all of that is okay.

My comment was more general and not specific to you or anyone. Dormouse had said he didn't understand the sour nature of the boards of late. I was saying that is the wyay with forums in general because people are expressing opinions and we can't see faces etc and so we take opinions I think to personally sometimes when in fact they are just opinions.

Anyway, that's what I was trying to say. None of the comments in this thread to me have been trollish or deliberately mean at all by anyone. Just because someone expresses and adverse opinion doesn't make them mean.

It's all good.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Noria
Gondor

Jul 23 2014, 7:21pm

Post #81 of 81 (318 views)
Shortcut
Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect it was not the fact that you don’t care for the Hobbit movie scores that irked people (at least I hope not) but the idea that the lack of Academy Award nominations meant that the “experts” agreed with you. It seemed rather like you were denigrating other people’s opinions and taste, using the Academy as a standard, and I’m sure you didn't intend that.

As it happens, the reviews on film music sites that I read were quite favourable to the scores of AUJ and especially DoS, but that doesn't mean anything either in terms of how we as individuals feel about the music. It’s all taste and opinion.

There are a lot of reasons that the Hobbit movies have not and likely will not receive any major Academy Award nominations and IMO not all of them have to do with the quality of the productions.

Finally, it seems to me that on this board the majority of the people now posting like the movies, the music, and so on. So when somebody expresses a minority opinion, there are a lot of people with different opinions around to enter into the debate.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.