The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
1841 Whaling Ship pics

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 19 2014, 8:51pm

Post #1 of 19 (469 views)
Shortcut
1841 Whaling Ship pics Can't Post

Charles W Morgan sailed to Boston and tied up with Old Ironsides. No sea dog should miss that.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 19 2014, 8:58pm

Post #2 of 19 (401 views)
Shortcut
Aboard [In reply to] Can't Post

Pinrail

Helm

Deck cabin for the captain's wife. She was miserably seasick and didn't stay there long.

Belowdecks

Whaleboat

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 19 2014, 9:08pm

Post #3 of 19 (397 views)
Shortcut
Aloft & Away [In reply to] Can't Post

If you squint, you can make out two crew climbing from the maintop to the main crosstrees.

Rainwater trap

Whaleboat

View from the forward oar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2014, 11:11pm

Post #4 of 19 (399 views)
Shortcut
Isn't she a beauty? More pics here: [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a few more of her in this series from her meeting with her former prey out at Stellwagen Bank: http://www.theday.com/...rams=Itemnr=1#galtop

The love that went into restoring her to her full glory just jumps out at you.

Here's some Geoff Kaufman (Mystic Seaport troubadour) sea shanties to listen to, as you enjoy the pictures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oswmF1mWos
https://www.youtube.com/...t=PL5F726ED1BC1B8D5B

And one for Old Ironsides:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdKcW72Ym0

There, the full "sea dog" experience! Cool

So, have you signed on yet? Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

squire
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 1:03am

Post #5 of 19 (398 views)
Shortcut
Too politically correct to be borne [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe they didn't harpoon one just for old times' sake. Taking a whaler out to 'look at the whales' is like putting a tiger in a petting zoo. Why preserve her, and then make her seaworthy, only to mock her with a voyage as a whale watcher?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 1:47am

Post #6 of 19 (388 views)
Shortcut
Great pics. Thanks for sharing! [In reply to] Can't Post

About twenty years ago we were on vacation in Oregon and northern California, and stumbled on a replica of the Nina that was in the harbor in Eureka. That was really fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 20 2014, 2:02am

Post #7 of 19 (393 views)
Shortcut
Not mocking... [In reply to] Can't Post

...more along the lines of: forgiveness of past sins, and reconciliation.

Akin to Americans and Japanese meeting at the Arizona Memorial.

Those of us in the New London - former whaling town - area found the gesture most moving. Smile

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 20 2014, 4:40am

Post #8 of 19 (385 views)
Shortcut
I talked to some of the crew [In reply to] Can't Post

who were in a whaleboat when a humpback swam underneath them. They too felt moved and awed.

Thanks for sharing those pics, dernwyn. Makes me wish I had been at sea that day.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 20 2014, 1:07pm

Post #9 of 19 (371 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful ship [In reply to] Can't Post

How great that they got to take her out and see a humpback. Looks like a wonderful day.

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 3:27pm

Post #10 of 19 (381 views)
Shortcut
Charles Morgan? AKA Darkstone? wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping to see at least a few broadside cannons, given the time she was built.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 20 2014, 3:27pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 20 2014, 4:25pm

Post #11 of 19 (368 views)
Shortcut
Have you had the opportunity [In reply to] Can't Post

to take a long sail on other wooden sailing ships?

I've had the chance to take a brief sail on a four-masted schooner, out of Bar Harbor: a nostalgic trip for hubby and the kids, as his great-grandfather was the captain of one which plied the Atlantic seaboard for years prior to WWII, when it wrecked off Ocracoke during a storm.

The feel of the sea swells beneath one's feet is like no other. And the fragrance of the sea, and the birds!

Have you ever gone on a whale watch?

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 21 2014, 3:40am

Post #12 of 19 (355 views)
Shortcut
Whale watching is breathtaking. [In reply to] Can't Post

We were on our way back to America from Iraq in '04 and stopped for a day in St Johns, Newfoundland. It was summertime and half a dozen of us went on an afternoon cruise on a small schooner to look at the seals and humpbacks. They came up within 50 feet and waved their fins and tails. Amazing.

About four years ago, I went on a 4 day cruise on the Maine windjammer Stephen Taber, launched in 1879. That was a once in a lifetime experience.

CaptainMorgan
Bree

Jul 21 2014, 7:53pm

Post #13 of 19 (344 views)
Shortcut
Arrrrr!! / [In reply to] Can't Post

YO HO HO, A LIPEY LIBER FWEE
-Captain Edward Dregg

A pirate always has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason.
-Captain JP Morgan

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 23 2014, 11:42am

Post #14 of 19 (326 views)
Shortcut
They are fascinating creatures! [In reply to] Can't Post

The seals and the whales. And beautiful - and untame. As they should be. Heart

A cruise on the Stephen Taber! That's an unforgettable experience that will remain with you! I found a great article about that lovely vessel (you've probably already seen it, this is for others reading this thread): http://www.stephentaber.com/history.html

silvereyed
The Shire

Jul 23 2014, 4:13pm

Post #15 of 19 (326 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my ancestors and his brother were two of the pioneering whalers in New Zealand, so these pictures were extra special to see.

Thanks for sharing!

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 24 2014, 1:28am

Post #16 of 19 (315 views)
Shortcut
This thread has some of my Taber pics. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2014, 1:56am

Post #17 of 19 (314 views)
Shortcut
I remember that thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

And being most impressed with your meals - that is indeed extraordinary cooking, all on/in a wood stove on a moving vessel!

Glad they let you "play pirate"! Laugh

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 24 2014, 4:56am

Post #18 of 19 (311 views)
Shortcut
"Smug-faced Selfie Taken After Rowing a 19th Century Whaleboat" [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2014, 8:00pm

Post #19 of 19 (305 views)
Shortcut
So gorgeous in full sail [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting the pics, dernwyn. Smile I love the last one, with the sailors going up the ratlines...gives a bit of awe-inspiring size perspective.

Oh, and the whales were nice too. Wink

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.