Agents of Shield 3 / 14%
22 total votes

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2014, 3:25am

Post #1 of 17 (452 views)
Shortcut
Joss Whedon redux. *Agents of Shield spoiler* Can't Post

With Firefly we have a motley crew who stumble into doing good occasionally, with a young woman who has secrets even she doesn't know about, an earnest captain, a not-to-be-trifled-with female side-kick and a man who will turn traitor when the conditions are right.

With Agents of Shield we have a motley crew who continually try to uphold the good, with a young woman who has secrets even she doesn't know about, an earnest captain, a not-to-be-trifled-with female side-kick and a man who will turn traitor when the conditions are right.

Which show would you prefer Joss Whedon was able to develop for another five or six seasons?

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 20 2014, 10:48pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 19 2014, 3:27am

Post #2 of 17 (360 views)
Shortcut
sorry Son of Coul [In reply to] Can't Post

Put up against Mal, it's no contest.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 19 2014, 4:09am

Post #3 of 17 (343 views)
Shortcut
I noticed the similarities as soon as I started watching AoS. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's good to see Whedon again, but Agents is not even in the same system as the much-lamented Firefly.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2014, 12:05pm

Post #4 of 17 (349 views)
Shortcut
I love both... [In reply to] Can't Post

but there was something about Mal and how he ran his ship. And as much as I love Lola, she's nothing compared to Serenity. Whoever designed her was inspired. I think she is the most beautiful ship out in the black I've ever seen.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 4:23pm

Post #5 of 17 (307 views)
Shortcut
what she said [In reply to] Can't Post

I too love Son of Coul, but another 5-6 seasons of Firefly would have been the best. thing. ever.

Especially since I have never warmed to Josh's latest girl-with-powers. I find Skye mostly annoying. River (he does love "elemental" names doesn't he?) was an amazing character. In fact, the only character I prefer the AoS version of is the earnest young doctor (s).

(This post was edited by Annael on Jul 20 2014, 4:26pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2014, 4:53pm

Post #6 of 17 (287 views)
Shortcut
Firefly of course. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not really a huge Joss Whedon guy-- he seems like a fine chap, and i always enjoy interviews with him, i just never got into Buffy or its spin-offs, or some of his other shows. And i'm kind of over the whole comic book/superhero thing. But Firefly is one of my favorite shows of all time, and i re-watch it often. The setting, a western in space, was brilliantly realized, and the ensemble cast was just about perfect. And the writing, which has been a barrier for me with some of Whedon's other projects, was just the right balance of snappy, funny, and dramatic.

It's too bad it couldn't have gone for another two or three seasons. The movie Serenity was good, but it would have been so much better to see the mystery of River and Blue Sun (not to mention the Reavers) play out over a couple of seasons. Oh, well...

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2014, 5:11pm

Post #7 of 17 (300 views)
Shortcut
I've always said that if i ever won the lottery [In reply to] Can't Post

(which won't happen because i never buy tickets, but still) i would build an exact replica of Serenity. Not only is it a great looking ship on the outside, but the inside had some really cool spaces, and was designed in conjunction with the outside of the ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ity_(Firefly_vessel)

Imagine the parties!

Also, i would build The Hatch from Lost.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Jul 20 2014, 5:14pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 20 2014, 7:19pm

Post #8 of 17 (278 views)
Shortcut
If I could choose a ship to fly around in space in, [In reply to] Can't Post

it would be Serenity - there's something homey about its scruffiness.

And it looks like I'm alone in preferring Agents of Shield! It feels to me that this show has more scope in its potential storylines, and there's always the possibility of an Avenger popping in. (And yes, I Heart Firefly very much and curse its cut-short life.)

joec_34
Rivendell

Jul 20 2014, 7:24pm

Post #9 of 17 (278 views)
Shortcut
Firefly....kindof [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted Firefly because I love it dearly. However, I don't think that I really do want to see Firefly rebooted. Part of what I love about Firefly is how it ended too soon; it never had time to lose its focus and meander about with lame story lines. The small number of episodes also leaves so many gaps that I can endlessly imagine how they should be filled.
Confession: I love Downton Abbey, even though it is really a soap opera. However, the fourth season really got into this listless meandering through lame story lines. It's not that the production or writing weren't still top-notch, but my imagination was no longer intruiged by who would be Mary's next suitor, etc. Thank God that Firefly never burnt out like that.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 7:45pm

Post #10 of 17 (267 views)
Shortcut
You could be right in terms of potential storylines [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, I will concede that could be right although I won't spend much energy deciding what I think on the matter. :-)

But I think my personal preference toward Serenity is more about setting and character and less about what potential for storylines each possesses/possessed.

Setting: Firefly is not really much of a science fiction story for all its set in space. They don't use space blasters or teleport. They don't blame dilithium crystals for their engine malfunctioning and when it does malfunction, they fix it with it with a big old wrench.

It isn't fantasy but I've always liked fantasy over science fiction because, in the end, the more toward science fiction a story leans, the less I like it. It's not an active dislike. It's more a falling off of favor. It's just my personal preference.

And AoS has science fiction *and* superheroes - which, for me, are way different than wizards and fall on the same end of the continuum of 'like more vs like less' as science fiction does.

And as much as I make it a point to sit down to watch AoS, I don't feel as if any of the characters are as well developed as the Firefly characters and I like the Firefly characters so much more.

And as a final note, although I may be wrong, I sense more of Joss' touch in Firefly than in AoS and I sense a 'lack' in AoS... that drops it down in my esteem. In fact, all the moments I like the best in Avengers seem pure Joss moments to me and I don't get a lot of those moments in AoS.

Again, these aren't so much criticisms as just levels of 'like' or 'esteem'. I like AoS better than a good half dozen other science fiction shows I've seen in the last few years. And I go into a series *wanting* to like it so it has to work at losing my favor. :-)

And to go back to your point about AoS having more potential storylines.

Tthere's a part of me that wonders how much all of us would be raving about Firefly if it had run 5 seasons. I suspect it would have had its ups and downs and people might have left and needed to be written out which would piss people off. And all the things that happen to long running series would happen and then it would run its course and end and we'd critique the final episode and whether it tied up the series appropriately. We have so much more opportunity to find fault and people, in general, seem so willing to find fault these days. Even those that liked it for all 5 years probably wouldn't be feeling a keen passion about it after all that time.

Part of our passion and love for that series is because, imo, it only lived a short life. We had no chance to lose interest or be disappointed or find fault. It's like the difference between a balloon and a ball. My son cried when the balloon tied to his arm popped. I told him... balloons pop. They always pop. They're built to pop. Otherwise they would be a ball. Balls are meant to last for years. Balloons are meant to last for hours. That's what makes them seem special. :-)

Maybe Firefly wouldn't have had enough potential storylines to endure. It's interesting to think about. We don't know but questions like that, I suspect, keep our interest piqued. :-)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 20 2014, 7:46pm

Post #11 of 17 (273 views)
Shortcut
like minds... [In reply to] Can't Post

...think alike. :-)

I hadn't read your post before I started my response to Ataahua.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 20 2014, 9:39pm

Post #12 of 17 (270 views)
Shortcut
I'm a little confused [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm way behind on AoS, but who's the man who will turn traitor when the conditions are right? Ward? Maybe I've missed a lot more than I realized...

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 20 2014, 10:47pm

Post #13 of 17 (272 views)
Shortcut
Ah. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't thought to put a spoiler warning on my post as I figured NZ was behind pretty much everyone else with this show, but I didn't think of those who wait to watch a TV series on DVD. I won't tell you who the traitor is, but I will add a spoiler tag to my subject line. :)

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Jul 21 2014, 4:25am

Post #14 of 17 (243 views)
Shortcut
Well, now I have to catch up [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually was watching it on TV but I stopped sometime in April. I was told to wait until after I saw Captain America 2. Then AoS just got away from me.

You've inspired me to pick it up again!

Annael
Immortal

Jul 21 2014, 2:38pm

Post #15 of 17 (249 views)
Shortcut
maybe . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

there's always the possibility of an Avenger popping in

. . . they'll have an episode where Thor shows up asking for a job because Odin took his hammer away & gave it to a woman and made HER Thor. Including a bit where everyone tries to think of a new name for him other than Snortblat.

http://www.themarysue.com/dorkly-thor/

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2014, 9:19pm

Post #16 of 17 (232 views)
Shortcut
Firefly...... [In reply to] Can't Post

Firefly...I choose Firefly. Firefly.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2014, 4:36am

Post #17 of 17 (243 views)
Shortcut
I have rarely, if ever, fallen in love with a show like I did with Firefly. [In reply to] Can't Post

Agents of SHIELD I thought was just ok up to the movie-crossover point (having to wait for that really hampered them, I think), and then moved into active like after that, and I am looking forward to seeing more of it, but I doubt it will ever take the place in my heart held by Mal and his crew. And to be honest, the Firefly 'verse is more to my tastes in many ways than the Marvelverse. I think I will always mourn not getting to spend more time on Serenity, and would unhesitatingly opt for more of it, but failing that, I'll take more AoS and enjoy it. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.