The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ranking the emotional crescendos of each PJ Middle Earth film so far

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Jul 17 2014, 8:48pm

Post #1 of 15 (907 views)
Shortcut
Ranking the emotional crescendos of each PJ Middle Earth film so far Can't Post

As a new teaser is coming, my obsessive interest in these films has again surfaced. I wanted to do something that I'm not sure we've done before: rank the emotional culminations in each film so far in terms of how much you like them and think they are effective to you personally.

I'm not gonna set in stone any moments from the films, as I think all of you are capable of recognising what is, for you at least, the emotional crescendo for each film. The most difficult to nail down is for DOS.

So here, rank them and write down which moments you mean exactly so that we know what ur on about :D

this is it for me!:

5. DOS: Dwarves entering Erebor, and the lack of all hope as the film comes to an end. (This could be considered unfair as the film was semi-designed to not have an effective emotional pay off at the end)

(from here onwards they are all 9-10/10)

4. AUJ: Bilbo's speech about home, and the scene on top of the Carrock.

3. TTT: Sam's speech and the conversation they have about each other and how they will be remembered.

2. ROTK: The entire $£^&&$ third act. From Ride of the Rohirrim onwards, this film is pretty much all emotional crescendo. So effective.

1. FOTR: From Borimir's death onwards. Breaking of the Fellowship. Sam drowning. Frodo remembering Gandalf's words. Perfection from my second favourite film of all time <3

What about you guys?

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 17 2014, 8:59pm

Post #2 of 15 (537 views)
Shortcut
I have found [In reply to] Can't Post

that the emotional impact of each film has changed for me over the years.
For example, the first time I saw ROTK I'm not sure I had ever had such an emotional cinematic experience. But since then the emotional impact of ROTK has diminished each time I watch it, whereas the emotional impact of FOTR has grown over the years. I've had a similar experience with AUJ...the climax with the eagles etc is rapidly becoming one of my favorite moments in all of the films.
I still think that the climax of TTT is breathtaking and most definitely more of a resolution than FOTR, but if I had to place them in order it would probably be:

5. DOS
4. AUJ
3. ROTK
2. TTT
1. FOTR

I do think that the end of ROTK is remarkable and extremely emotional, I guess I've just become desensitized to it over the years and learned to appreciate the other two films in the LOTR trilogy a little bit more.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 17 2014, 9:09pm

Post #3 of 15 (472 views)
Shortcut
Solid rankings [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd agree with all of those.

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 17 2014, 9:10pm

Post #4 of 15 (476 views)
Shortcut
emotional peaks and valleys [In reply to] Can't Post

The first thing that came to mind was the way that the emotional rise and fall in these movies isn't necessarily simple. We also have different peaks for different types of emotions. I am tempted to go get creative, pick a color for each emotion type and make a little mountain range chart tracking emotional levels over time for each movie.

But I won't do that, instead I will try to summarize.

AUJ: This was far more humorous in nature and I really feel that it was the opening scene that had the most emotional impact: the hilarity of the dwarven introductions alongside the moving dwarven singing. I did find Bilbo's acknowledgement by Thorin at the end to be moving, but it is pretty hard for any movie or scene to stand up next to the kinds of extreme emotional content in the other movies. Nobody died. It was a nice moment to be sure, but every movie isn't going to have the same kind of emotional drama as what we have in LotR in general.

TTT: What stayed with me in this one was primarily quite a few bits about war. To me, this is a bit less emotional in nature - I find war to be largely dehumanizing personally. Legolas and Gimli's friendship brings on the smiles in otherwise bleak circumstances. The ride of the Rohirrim and arrival of Gandalf are emotional spikes as well.

DOS: I find this to be another toss-up between the dramatic moment between Thranduil and Thorin followed by Bilbo's rescue - and the humor of it - and the extremely tense (and humorous) debate between Bilbo and Smaug.

FotR: I really think there were two huge ones: Gandalf's "death" and Boromir's death (along with the tense moment with Frodo leading up to it). It is hard to determine which is the stronger emotional spike - both hit very hard.

RotK: Frodo turning at the end and Sam carrying Frodo - so much has become invested in these two characters by the end ... and then the final fate of Gollum bringing back all his history with the ring all at once - and the moment where we get to watch evil blow up EXPLOSIONS HAHAHAHAAHa Evil
Annd .... Eowyn "I am no man" - that one really gets me, have to mention it here as well

In all honesty, I expect Bo5A to likely fit between FotR and DOS in emotion. I think it will be extremely close to FotR, actually. Whether it is slightly greater or less will depend on how it is executed. A secondary emotional moment would potentially exist between the factions right before the Goblins show up. I don't think Bo5A has much of a shot at matching RotK - Sam saving the day and Gollum meeting his fate - all contributing to the dawning of a new age entirely because of the way this changes the entire world. But that would be a lot to expect from any movie.

Elutherian
Rohan

Jul 18 2014, 12:33am

Post #5 of 15 (379 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Dos is definitely last because it really didn't have that much emotion... at least compared to the other films.

AUJ's EC is really three moments: Bilbo's decision not to kill Gollum, Bilbo coming to Thorin's aid after his charging of Azog, and Thorin's acceptance of Bilbo's presence in the company. The only one I found that effective was the first one, but it was quite good.

ROTK was almost overkill in terms of EC. The stuff on Mount Doom and the Black Gate is too numerous to even go through individually... but Return is ultimately a film about conclusions. All of them work really well, even if it does take a while.

TTT has an amazing EC with Sam's speech. It's one of the best moments from all the films, and perfectly encapsulates the theme of the entire Trilogy (now Saga).

FOTR is definitely my favorite though. Both Gandalf's fall and Boromir's death are so perfectly captured on film, and the emotionally charged ending that follows still sticks in my memory. As a 12 year old kid, that ending did something for me no other film has been able to recreate. It was pure brilliance.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

(This post was edited by Elutherian on Jul 18 2014, 12:34am)

adt100
Rohan

Jul 18 2014, 11:59am

Post #6 of 15 (298 views)
Shortcut
As you say, I think emotional effect varies over time... [In reply to] Can't Post

From repeated viewings, but also your emotional state as it were at the time of watching.

For me, the two most emotional moments for me across the films have been the final minutes of ROTK with the departure at the Grey Havens and Sam's "I'm back" and the opening scenes in AUJ where we see old BIlbo writing the red book with Frodo there. In both instances though, this is more due to the external concerns, rather than the scenes themselves. By which I mean, ROTK was the end of the trilogy and the feeling that the whole journey was over was itself immensely emotional. Similarly, the opening of AUJ which the familiar music and setting made me feel emotional to be back in Middle Earth after all these years. I expect for the same reason, the final scenes of BOFA will be equally emotional.

As a scene in it's own right, I would probably opt for Arwen's Fate in TTT. Undoubtedly one of the best and most moving scenes in all 5 films.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Tl9bNmCKo

Name
Rohan

Jul 18 2014, 12:33pm

Post #7 of 15 (282 views)
Shortcut
Gotta agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene between Arwen and Elrond is amazing. The vision of Arwen and a dead Aragorn, along with Elrond's narration, is haunting and beautiful at the same time.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

greenbalrog
Bree

Jul 18 2014, 1:21pm

Post #8 of 15 (272 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I basically agree with your choice.

I'll just have to add that Borimir's death is probably one of my favorite climatic cinematic experiences of all time. And the strange thing is that the last part of FOTR is probably my least favorite part of all the LotR and Hobbit movies combined.

No words to define such magnificent scene. The actors and the location are so perfect that you can't help not to feel immersed and emotionally engaged.

Name
Rohan

Jul 18 2014, 2:08pm

Post #9 of 15 (263 views)
Shortcut
I love that scene too [In reply to] Can't Post

And I feel like the Theatrical Edition of the scene doesn't do it justice. I like how in the EE it shows Boromir defending the hobbits a little bit more, and there's more of a build up to Lurtz shooting Boromir.

Just thought I'd put that out there Cool

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

greenbalrog
Bree

Jul 18 2014, 3:04pm

Post #10 of 15 (244 views)
Shortcut
And you did well [In reply to] Can't Post

You're totally right. To be fair, this scene's magnificence can't be described without including Lurtz' extraordinary contribution. That arrow shooting is a very violent moment, but one that I think deserves to be shown just the way it is.

Boromir's protection of the hobbits also helps a lot too.

The best way I can describe the all Boromir's death sequence is film made real. And if that's not the best compliment one can give to cinema, then I don't know what is.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Jul 18 2014, 8:25pm

Post #11 of 15 (197 views)
Shortcut
Ditto // [In reply to] Can't Post

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

greenbalrog
Bree

Jul 18 2014, 9:09pm

Post #12 of 15 (198 views)
Shortcut
+1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 18 2014, 11:20pm

Post #13 of 15 (204 views)
Shortcut
For me [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably, for me such moments in the LotR trilogy as Gandalf's talk with Frodo in the Mines of Moria in FotR, and Gandalf's 'White Shores' speech on the battlements in RotK, with the accompanying music, are the most emotional in the films. It is no surprise that they feature Sir Ian McKellen. (Boromir left me quite cold, but I think that is because Sean Bean always acts the same and I associated him with the spiv-type roles I usually saw him in, which distracted me from the 'death scene' that some people seem to like.)

In the Hobbit films, for me the Erebor sequence with Thorin, the Dwarves singing in Bilbo's home and the Carrock scene contained the most emotional moments, though they don't compare to emotional moments in the LotR trilogy. The script writing just does not seem as good in The Hobbit films – nothing to do with the actors, because both Sir Ians and Richard Armitage certainly have the range to show emotions very well. (I don't find anything particularly emotional in DoS.)

P.S. I too think that the 'Arwen's fate' sequence is TTT was beautifully and emotionally done. This is even despite the fact that I found 'Arwen' rather annoying, probably most of all because of her replacement of Glorfindel (the scene with him in FotR is an iconic moment in the book for me).

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jul 18 2014, 11:25pm)

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Jul 20 2014, 5:06am

Post #14 of 15 (146 views)
Shortcut
Nice thread [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not so hard for me to rank them because LOTR movies were much more emotional for me, with DOS beeing at the end of the list.

5. DOS: This movie wasn't very emotional at all, it was all way too rushed but still it has some nice moments like the conversation between Tauriel and Kili in the dungeons and especially dwarves entering Erebor for the first time - with that music it is so nostalgic and perfect.
4. AUJ: More emotional filled movie yet still behind LOTR. Bilbo's speech of his home, flight of Eagles, small conversation between Bilbo and Gandalf about courage and the scene on the top of the Carrock.
3. FOTR: It was definitely much more emotional for me in the past, but comparing with TTT and ROTK I still don't find it that emotional. Gandalf's death, Boromir's death and the breaking of the Fellowship were definitely the most emotional parts for me.
2. TTT: Nearly on the top with emotional moments, especially near the end of the movie. Charge of the Rohirrim, Sam's speech and also the last march of the Ents will be always remembered.
1. ROTK: That's not hard. It's one of the most emotional movies I have ever seen, especially in the second part. Pellenor fields, Mordor, the Black Gate and everything else was just one emotional bomb.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2014, 6:35pm

Post #15 of 15 (125 views)
Shortcut
This works for me, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
5. DOS
4. AUJ
3. ROTK
2. TTT
1. FOTR

Though i do love the many endings of RotK, and think that the end of TTT brilliantly leads us into the final chapter, the final scenes of FotR are just about perfect. From the Fellowship realizing that both Frodo and Boromir are gone, to Frodo and Sam contemplating what lies ahead while surveying the Dead Marshes, with Mordor just beyond, it all flows together beautifully, with some great performances from all involved, and some of the best music i've ever heard in a film. I get chills throughout to this day.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.