Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
The Lord of the Rings needs a 3D conversion.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 28 2014, 7:53am

Post #26 of 37 (596 views)
Shortcut
HFR is possible, some TVs do it (albeit poorly) in real time. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are also conversions of some of the trailers to HFR on the Internet, which came out quite well.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 1:48pm

Post #27 of 37 (582 views)
Shortcut
I saw Gravity in 3D, [In reply to] Can't Post

which is supposedly one of the best uses of current 3D technology, and i was not impressed. At all. Sure, there were a few shots where i was like, "wow, that looks pretty cool." But the rest of the time it was more of a distraction than anything else. And as far as 3d being a natural, organic part of the cinema experience, it just does not work, as far as i'm concerned. Maybe it's fine for more dumb, cheezy fare like the dozens and dozens of comic book movies out there, or Transformers, or whatever 300 inspired "historical" epic you care to name (i.e. movies i don't watch, but i do like the original 300), but in more serious, dramatic films? I much prefer 2D. 3D just seems much too gimmicky, not at all cinematic, and a complete distraction.

All that being said, i will check out the new Avatar films in 3d-- if ever there were films that seemed a perfect fit for 3D, it's Avatar (saw the first one on blu-ray).

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 28 2014, 2:17pm

Post #28 of 37 (579 views)
Shortcut
D'oh! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
HFR is possible, some TVs do it...There are also conversions of some of the trailers to HFR on the Internet, which came out quite well.

Ha! Sorry, of course they do! My own TV even does it, although I've disabled the capability.

I wonder how similar this technology / approach is to actually converting the source (ie the movie) rather than than simply the display (ie the TV screen)...

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 28 2014, 2:22pm

Post #29 of 37 (575 views)
Shortcut
Yep, to each their own [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I saw Gravity in 3D...and i was not impressed...And as far as 3d being a natural, organic part of the cinema experience, it just does not work, as far as i'm concerned.

Cool Smile Unlike some other debates I've been involved in recently, this really is an issue where everything is entirely subjective...

...so we're best just leaving it there, right?

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

peterLF
Rivendell

Jul 28 2014, 5:56pm

Post #30 of 37 (566 views)
Shortcut
That's what they said when Lucas started meddling around with his films... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If you don't like it, you'll still have the original.

The LotR-trilogy doesn't need a terrible 3D conversion to tarnish it's reputation. Even the LotR box set is so special because it doesn't exist in a thousand different versions (cue WB vs New Line debate, since this obviously changed in the Hobbit series).

3D is a gimmick - not very good for anything. I really wanted to like it, but I don't. I don't get why some filmmakers seem to think that because a movie has an audience, that that's because they themselves would want to be in the movie. 2D is like a live painting - 3D is the movie equivalent to those books that gives you choices like "to open the door go to page 65, to hide in the cabinet go to page 45". It's silly, and I wish they'd stop trying to force it. 3D sales numbers ARE in... People aren't buying into it.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 6:03pm

Post #31 of 37 (560 views)
Shortcut
Of course, if they do do a 3d conversion [In reply to] Can't Post

of LotR, i can just skip it, and you can enjoy it, and we all win. I'll just stick with my LotR EE Blu-rays.

I was more giving my general impressions of the state of 3D thus far.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 28 2014, 6:15pm

Post #32 of 37 (560 views)
Shortcut
Have we ever had a poll to see how TORn feels about 3d in general? [In reply to] Can't Post

Assuming not, what options should this as yet uncreated poll include?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 6:39pm

Post #33 of 37 (557 views)
Shortcut
I would just be curious to see [In reply to] Can't Post

2D vs. 3D. Keep it simple. I don't think HFR has made enough of a splash yet to be a factor. Besides, HFR is a separate technology from 3D (i would love to see HFR in 2D, but that won't be anytime soon, if ever (nobody seems to care about HFR, sadly).

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 28 2014, 6:41pm

Post #34 of 37 (560 views)
Shortcut
Personally, I don't think 3D should be so easily dismissed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The LotR-trilogy doesn't need a terrible 3D conversion

Can't disagree with that.

In Reply To
Even the LotR box set is so special because it doesn't exist in a thousand different versions

The box-set may not exist on a thousand different versions but, then, if I'm not mistaken, the "Star Wars" blu-ray box set doesn't either and (a) there are, quite literally, 326 other different versions of the "Rings" films over various formats that you can buy and (b) the box-set you refer to includes the controversial re-grading of "Fellowship" with its accompanying (accidental?) green tint. It's not quite the seminal package some claim it is. A further repackaging wouldn't, therefore, be quite the act of sacrilege many fear.

And, hey, such a re-packaging is going to happen. You know it is. Once all six Ext Eds have been fully marketed, you can bet your bottom dollar a "Middle-earth Deluxe Limited Edition Collectors Box-set" will be hot on their heels. It's at that point that I suspect a 3D conversion of the "Rings" films would be firmly on the table as a means of adding 'extra value' for any quadruple-dippers out there...

In Reply To
3D is a gimmick - not very good for anything

It plenty of places it is, yes. But I think it's also very interesting to see renowned and respected Directors such as Spielberg ("Tin Tin"), Lee ("Life of Pi"), Cuaron ("Gravity"), Scorsese ("Hugo"), Luhrmann ("The Great Gatsby") and Cameron ("Avatar") experimenting with the format and, in their interviews, talking excitedly about how they relished using the format to enrich their story-telling in unique ways.

But, heck, maybe it's just me.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 28 2014, 6:50pm

Post #35 of 37 (552 views)
Shortcut
Indeed - everyone's a winner! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Of course, if they do a 3D conversion of LotR, i can just skip it, and you can enjoy it, and we all win.

There'll be plenty of times, I assure you, that I'll default to watching them in "old-school" 2D, but, yes, you're right...

...it's simply not an issue: there is no film out there that's only available in 3D. Nobody would be losing out if such a conversion were to occur.

(The bigger issue would be if any amendments were made to "Rings" in retrospect in order for it to tally better with "The Hobbit" but (a) Jackson has said he'd ensure the originals were kept available if this were to happen and (b) that's an entirely different topic for an entirely different thread!!)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 6:55pm

Post #36 of 37 (557 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, Peter Jackson doesn't seem [In reply to] Can't Post

dictatorial at all, unlike George Lucas.

Nolane
Bree

Aug 13 2014, 6:32pm

Post #37 of 37 (561 views)
Shortcut
There are some who love 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

I happen to love seeing movies in 3D, including "The Hobbit" movies. Just because you don't like it, does not mean that it should not be made available to those who do. They always release both 3D and 2D versions, so you can still see it in 2D if you want. Why spoil it for those who like 3D? I for one would love to see the LOTR movies converted to 3D and re-released to movie theatres.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.