The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What do we think of e-books?

acheron
Gondor

Jul 17 2014, 1:06pm

Post #1 of 25 (268 views)
Shortcut
What do we think of e-books? Can't Post

So the Kindle has been around for several years now. How many of you have adopted it (or another e-reader)? I know some people who have completely given up on physical books and do all their reading electronically now, even up to the point of throwing out all their book collection. I have a Kindle and have indeed bought and read a couple books on it. But for the most part I have not gone in for it. I enjoy reading physical books much more.

I used to feel the same way about CDs, too, but I have almost completely abandoned physical music media -- if I end up getting some, all I ever do with it is put it in the computer once to rip it to digital files, and even that is awfully rare compared to just downloading the music. Though one thing I haven't gone in for is the subscription streaming music (Spotify and so on); even if the concept of "owning" files is a bit abstract, I'd still rather buy the music than pay an ongoing subscription.

I was never a big movie guy, and I don't know when the last time I bought a movie disc was. Completely abandoned physical movie media as well, and in that case I've "bought" very few and have almost totally switched to streaming (Netflix and Amazon) for the occasional movie I do watch.

Books I find to be different though. I wondered if I would eventually move to e-books the same way, but so far I have shown no signs of it.

What about you all?

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Annael
Immortal

Jul 17 2014, 2:09pm

Post #2 of 25 (162 views)
Shortcut
Still reading physical books [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the look, feel, and smell of books. I like being able to stick my finger or a bookmark in one place, flip back a few pages, and then return. I like looking at my bookshelves. I like wandering through a bookstore and being surprised by finding a book I wasn't looking for.

Quite a few people try to argue that I need to get an e-reader and that I'll like it, but being a contrary person who hates being told what I "should" do (especially by people who don't know me), that only makes me dig in my heels even more.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 17 2014, 3:18pm

Post #3 of 25 (149 views)
Shortcut
I have only used it for light reading....books that are [In reply to] Can't Post

probably one offs. I prefer physical books for both reading and the enjoyment factor.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jul 17 2014, 3:33pm

Post #4 of 25 (149 views)
Shortcut
There's nothing like a real book. [In reply to] Can't Post

When they first started coming out as ebooks, I bought a few for my iPod, and I used to look at them to pass the time in waiting rooms generally. I haven't looked at one of them for years now.

For me there will never be anything to take the place of the real deal. I love turning the pages, perhaps turning down a corner on a place I want to go back to now and then, the smell and feel of the paper. I love being able to browse through a bookstore and find treasures I never knew existed. (Sadly, bookstores are becoming obsolete. I think in the near future they will all be gone. So then how does one wander through a virtual store and find things unlooked for?) I fear that in the future, there will be no real books, that people will have forgotten what they were, that they will only exist in museums. I fear one day we will convenience ourselves out of the quality in our lives. I hope this never happens in my lifetime!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

smtfhw
Lorien

Jul 17 2014, 3:45pm

Post #5 of 25 (151 views)
Shortcut
I travel a lot.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And that's why I love my Kindle! But I still prefer books. It's just that if I'm away, with the Kindle, there's never any fear that I won't have something to read when I want it. Also, there's no room in the house for any more books Wink

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 17 2014, 4:18pm

Post #6 of 25 (143 views)
Shortcut
I love the idea of the e-book... [In reply to] Can't Post

The ability to pack an entire library's worth of knowledge and human thought into a tiny device is awesome. On a personal level, though, I prefer a real, physical book that does not require a power source in order to read.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2014, 4:45pm

Post #7 of 25 (142 views)
Shortcut
I love your comment about books unlooked for [In reply to] Can't Post

because I often do that too, not looking for anything in particular but usually finding something anyway. But a lot of the time I don't go into the bookstore even when I want to because I still have a big stack of them that I haven't read yet.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 17 2014, 6:01pm

Post #8 of 25 (139 views)
Shortcut
I love my Kindle. [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought a Kindle Fire when they first came out, and just bought a new one (much lighter, better screen). I use it mainly for reading books and magazines. I love having a virtually unlimited amt of reading material is such a small package!

There are side benefits:

* if I am wakeful in the middle of the night I can read for a while without turning on the light and disturbing my husband.

* If I read something that I'd like to look up more about, the browser is right there.

* If I tire of what I'm reading, I can change books with a few taps.

But I have no intention of using it for watching movies or TV. I don't even use my computer (which has a nice large screen) for that. I prefer to watch them sitting comfortably on the sofa.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jul 17 2014, 6:05pm)

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

Jul 17 2014, 6:28pm

Post #9 of 25 (140 views)
Shortcut
Two of my favourite words in the English language..... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Book" and "Sale" Wink

I don't have a Kindle or an e-reader.I love spending hours walking around book stores, picking up books because of the cover art or the rear jacket blurb and finding that one book which makes life much more enjoyable.I picked up Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora in Waterstone's just because of the cover and it's one of the most incredible first novels I've ever read.

I like to hunt the shelves in different genres then go back again in case I missed something.That used to drive my Mum mad when I was younger Smile

Charity shops are another perfect source for finding great books.I picked up 'The Cleaner', the first 'Jonathan Quinn' novel by Brett Battles in one and he's now my favourite crime author.'Quinn' #9 will be released next year.

Even when I'm on holiday in Greece or Italy I'll go to a book store in the off chance I'll find an imported book in English that I might enjoy.

I'm visiting a friend in San Francisco in November and I can't wait to go book hunting Cool

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2014, 9:04pm

Post #10 of 25 (125 views)
Shortcut
They are useful... [In reply to] Can't Post

I find that if I am traveling and am not sure which book I want to bring, I can bring a ton of ebooks and choose eventually. Nothing can replace a real book imho.... however, ebooks really cut down on storage space and are great for commuting etc...

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2014, 9:15pm

Post #11 of 25 (121 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

my daughter invited me to visit her at her job. She works in a rare book store that specializes in first editions and crime noir. I walked in and from what her boss said, had the same look on my face as she did when she first saw the shelves. These weren't just books, these were beautiful bindings and wonderful covers! She graduated from art school with a degree in illustration and works digitally a lot so her art can translate into either ebooks or print books.

We prefer the feel of a book in our home. They are in every single (yes that room too) room in the house. Books are, in themselves, works of art, especially if you get a nice binding or first edition.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Jul 17 2014, 10:20pm

Post #12 of 25 (118 views)
Shortcut
I find them irritating. [In reply to] Can't Post

I read one and will never do it again. I would put off reading it because I hated the format. I'll stick to my books. Smile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 17 2014, 10:35pm

Post #13 of 25 (110 views)
Shortcut
I love both e-books and real books. [In reply to] Can't Post

What I love most about my kindle is that it will read the books out loud to me. I've gotten quite fond of that robot voice after thousands of pages. I commute an hour a day, and often listen to books. I also listen to them when I have insomnia; being able to read with my eyes closed distracts my mind enough to lull me to sleep.

But I'm a huge bibliophile too. We have over 2000 books in our basement, and shelf space ran out long ago. But I keep buying them. If I really love a book, I might get both the hardback and the e-book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Kim
Valinor

Jul 17 2014, 11:23pm

Post #14 of 25 (108 views)
Shortcut
I love my Kindle [In reply to] Can't Post

It's my preferred method for reading books. I love being able to carry it around with me wherever I go, especially on vacation, and have multiple books available at once. I love that I can finish one book and start another without having to move. I love that I can check out books from the library on it.

I'll still read real books on occasion when I can't get them on Kindle, but I often find them too bulky and inconvenient after years of using my slim Kindle. Especially when it's a 900+ page book!

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 18 2014, 12:12am

Post #15 of 25 (107 views)
Shortcut
I have both, but still prefer paper books [In reply to] Can't Post

The e-readers can be a great convenience, especially away from home, but I love being surrounded by books and browsing through used book stores. Fortunately, we have some nice used bookstores in our city, and the more popular ones are very busy. It's not unusual on weekends to have to park in the back and then stand in line to check out, so at this point there doesn't seem to be any sign that people, around here at least, are giving up on paper books.

And once again the world has not arranged itself just for me.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2014, 12:52am

Post #16 of 25 (104 views)
Shortcut
That's me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I travel a lot, I love my iPad to hold a few books in case I finish one while on the road. I also keep a few books that I'm content to read over and over, like Tolkien, Jane Austen, Sherlock Holmes, Charlotte and Emily Bronte and Louisa May Alcott that I can read if I run out of everything else.

I prefer "real" books, but my iPad is a great friend when I'm traveling.

Glassary
Rivendell

Jul 18 2014, 2:45am

Post #17 of 25 (103 views)
Shortcut
Love it both ways. [In reply to] Can't Post

Received a kindle years ago and I didn't think I would love it as much as I do.
It's packed with books and very light and easy to travel with.
Majority of my book purchases now are in the kindle/ebook format.
Strangely if I have already started following a series in the physical book format
I have to continue the series in the same.

But I'm still a physical book lover, there is nothing like the feel and experience of reading
an actual book. Like others have noted there is nothing like picking up a book, randomly
browsing or flipping to a page, which you can't do with the same feel on an ebook.
Have quite a few books still in my home that I'm hard pressed to part with and hope I
never have to. It's as though the books are friends which an efile could never have the same
appeal.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jul 18 2014, 7:13am

Post #18 of 25 (98 views)
Shortcut
Love/Hate relationship [In reply to] Can't Post

I love my Kindle for making it possible for me to bring my favorite books with me to the doctor's office. I love the lower cost that puts new books in my price range. I also love it for being much lighter than even the paperback versions of some (GoT!)

However, I hate that my favorite bookstore had to close for lack of business, putting many of my friends out of work.Frown

I LOVE real books, in fact in the months after getting my Kindle, I added three new book cases! I have no intention of giving up on real books, but the Kindle is very easy to use when my Fibromyalgia flares. I'm also addicted to some games on it.

With my Kindle, LOTR and the Silm are never out of reach!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 18 2014, 4:30pm

Post #19 of 25 (88 views)
Shortcut
eeeeeeeee-books! [In reply to] Can't Post

Never used one, but our library orders more of them than anything else now. *sigh* I prefer the paper stuff. I'm one of those horrible people who writes notes in the margins, highlights favourite passages, etc. At least... that's what I do to my LotR/Hobbit books ;)

sample

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 18 2014, 6:13pm

Post #20 of 25 (85 views)
Shortcut
I don't have an e-reader, or want one.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always loved books, and have collected them ever since I was old enough to have pocket money. It's something about the physicality of a book. The feel of the paper; the positioning of text on the page - that becomes part of the experience of reading. And when I read favourite books - like LotR - it always has to be the edition I read the first time. I love the image in Cornelia Funke's 'Inkworld' series, that you find a memory of your young self pressed between the pages of childhood favourites. Practically too, using books in connection with work, it's so much easier and more natural to turn the pages back and forward to the index to find what I need, or refer back.

But I have to be honest and say that since my first book came out as an e-book on my agent's insistence - I couldn't see the point - it has earned far more in royalties in a single year than it did as a print book in several. This is giving me a whole new appreciation of e-books! Wink

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 18 2014, 6:32pm

Post #21 of 25 (99 views)
Shortcut
I like bound books [In reply to] Can't Post

and have quite a few. For books that matter and for all children's books, I have physical copies. If I'm going to curl up on the couch, I'd rather have a physical book, preferably hardcover. For children's picture books I would always buy a physical copy.

But I find small paperbacks (small as in 'face' size) difficult/tiring to hold open especially really thick ones. And they are impossible to hold open if one wants to read while eating. Even larger hardcovers take some effort to keep the pages open while I eat.

And any hardcover or thick paperback takes up more space for traveling... even just to work and back.

In those situations, I appreciate my Kindle. It is very handy to grab, I don't need to hold the pages open, and I don't have to worry about finding or losing a bookmark. I don't find reading them 'aesthetically' pleasing but past the first page or two, I've forgotten about the aesthetics and have engaged in the story.

I wouldn't spend much money on an e-Book. If it costs more than about 4 or 5 dollars, I'd just as soon buy the physical book. But I love finding books I might want to read on sale for $3 or less at Amazon.

And just recently I found some old out of print books that I wanted for a good price as e-Books. I appreciated that. Since these are books I'll reference, I can read them either on my Kindle or online at Kindle Cloud Reader. So I'm referencing the book on my computer upstairs while my Kindle sits downstairs.

So I do and will continue to read both bound and e-books. I think I love reading a good copy of a bound book as much as anyone but e-Books have their place and they can be handy.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 18 2014, 6:49pm

Post #22 of 25 (93 views)
Shortcut
I like both, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like looking up words and having them spoken on my iPad. I know what you mean about real books, though. I moved two book shelves a week ago and I'm still moving books today. I'm not keeping all of them but it's a lot of books.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2014, 1:57am

Post #23 of 25 (62 views)
Shortcut
Good...for a purpose [In reply to] Can't Post

I will admit, there was a time where I did not read a physical book for two years. I was working an on-call job at a school where I had random stretches of time of work, followed by inactivity. I also had no space to store anything. In that case, it was very helpful to get e-books and read them when I could, especially the classics on my required reading list. Fast, free, and compact, it was the best choice at the time.

Now, I barely touch it. I have a regular hourly job where I can stow my kit in a locker. I get a free hour every day to do whatever I want as I eat, and I use it to study my Japanese, write, or read. I love the feel of real books and the ability to page through them for my favourite parts. I love walking through a bookstore and just wandering for hours. (An experience I had on Wednesday. Glorious!) I love collecting books in multiple editions and bindings to add to my collection, even though I don't have the room.

I much prefer hard copies, but when space is constricted, or the material is classical, I'll use an e-book. I just haven't needed to for quite a while.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 20 2014, 2:23am

Post #24 of 25 (69 views)
Shortcut
Love my Kindle but some books demand a hardcopy [In reply to] Can't Post

So when I'm laying around and need a new book fix for light reading, love my Kindle as I can shop and get instant gratification, and want to get rid of some of my hardcopy books as when I want to rearrange so many books is a pain - do I need to keep all these?Crazy

But some books like the WETA books demand hardcopy with the lavish treatment, or some classic works that are beautifully bound and illustrated - holding the book itself is a feast re the paper and cover.

So love my e-reader except for the SPECIALTY items.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jul 20 2014, 8:56pm

Post #25 of 25 (58 views)
Shortcut
I prefer the real deal... [In reply to] Can't Post

since you don't need batteries to read a real book, and did you ever try to get an e-book autographed? Sorry, this is one thing that I will remain "old school" with. Most of my books are of the paperback variety (except for the Visual Companions, Chronicles books and a few others), so I can always take them with me when I travel (not that I can afford to travel much, since I spend most of my money on collectibles, rent, bills, groceries and the like). And what if something were to happen to technology (not that it will, but I'm just saying)? Even if I have to buy five bookcases to store them in (that I also use to store my movies, TV series, and various other collectibles), I will always prefer to have the physical copy rather than an e-book, even if it's a very large book like The Price of Freedom or Under the Dome. The latter even has two smaller versions, but I didn't buy them, since I already have the larger paperback (the size of the book makes no difference, since I like a good challenge. The first copy of Lord of the Rings that I owned was the one volume edition, which is quite large). I already have The Price of Freedom autographed (with a small book plate that I sent away for, since it was cheaper than sending the whole book), so it doesn't make much sense to replace it with the smaller, paperback version (if there is one).Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.