Well said [In reply to] Can't Post

That's how I feel about it as well.

Anubis
Rivendell

Jul 17 2014, 4:03pm

Post #77 of 80 (115 views)
Shortcut
Ah! A straightforward kind of person. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like concise, efficient and fast responses. Very well then.

I donīt want to riddle you with posts about stuff that has already been said (if you donīt wish to continue the discussion I wonīt mind) but I feel like I have to answer your points C and D.

C) You said, in previous posts, "I simply don't think it's justifiable to say, for example, as some have here, that the smelting, pouring and moulding of 1,000 tonnes of gold in three minutes flat does have some foundation in Tolkien's Works because he mentions "rivers of gold" in one of the songs." This and other sentences seemed to imply that you think some scenes of the movie adaptation donīt translate well the essence of what Tolkien wrote, and that they actually have nothing to do with it. Sorry if I didnīt understand you, but thatīs my take on it.

D) Again, you said previously "all I'm asking is if it's recognisably based on Tolkien's text and if I end up with only a few examples that aren't, then I can draw an objective conclusion about the fidelity of Jackson's adaptation. On the other hand, if I end up with a list as long as my arm of examples that aren't, then I can draw a different objective conclusion about the fidelity of Jackson's adaptation." To me, it does indicate a belief that itīs pretty simple to divide whatīs faithful than whatīs not.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2014, 6:03pm

Post #78 of 80 (107 views)
Shortcut
No entmaiden, I'm not denigrating anyone's opinion... [In reply to] Can't Post

People seem to be completely missing the point of what I, and Kendalf before me, are saying.

What I am saying is that many of PJ's alterations are not, and cannot be, a matter of his own interpretation of Tolkien's text. I am saying that PJ made a conscious effort to alter those things, whatever his reasoning may have been. Honestly entmaiden, how could one infer from reading the book that the Dwarves poured molten gold on Smaug, or the company rode on a stone giant's leg, or that Orcs and Elves showed up in Lake-town? It isn't even a matter of opinion, it's a matter of whether or not the scene as PJ filmed it matches up with how Tolkien described it. I'm not saying it's bad to like PJ's alterations, not in the slightest, only that people should admit that PJ isn't being faithful to the text when he drastically alters things, and that the alterations are due to conscious effort rather than a different interpretation of the text.

As for my "cheap knockoff of LotR" comment regarding the Tauriel/Kili subplot, I thought I made that pretty clear that that was just how I felt about it. I mentioned it as one of the reasons I am disappointed in Jackson's adaptation of The Hobbit. I did not say "It's a cheap LotR knockoff, and anyone who likes it is an idiot!!", did I? And I see nothing in my comment that would suggest that I meant it that way either.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Jul 17 2014, 6:08pm)

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 17 2014, 6:51pm

Post #79 of 80 (93 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Anubis! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I like concise, efficient and fast responses.

C) You said "..." This and other sentences seemed to imply that you think some scenes of the movie adaptation donīt translate well the essence of what Tolkien wrote...

D) Again, you said "..." To me, it does indicate a belief that itīs pretty simple to divide whatīs faithful and whatīs not.

C) Aaaah, I see. I thought you were suggesting I'd claimed that the spirit of Tolkien didn't come over in the entire films, not just those two scenes. That's why I denied having said anything of the sort.

D) Aaaah, I see. Well, it is pretty easy...using this one method that will reach one fair, substantiated and objective conclusion. But, as I've said, it's only one of many approaches, not the only, which is what I think you implied I'd said. That's why I denied having said anything of the sort.

Thanks for the concise, efficient and fast clarification, Anubis Smile

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Jul 17 2014, 6:55pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2014, 6:02pm

Post #80 of 80 (61 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the shot of him rising into the night sky shedding gold is breathtaking - pure visual magic.

i'm not at all a fan of the last half hour or so of DoS, but i have to admit that that was a great image. I just wish that they'd gotten there some other way.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.