Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - San Diego Comic-Con Panel and New Behind the Scenes Trailer

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 12 2014, 6:29am

Post #1 of 15 (2257 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - San Diego Comic-Con Panel and New Behind the Scenes Trailer Can't Post

This fall's anticipated action game, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Monolith Productions, will be the topic of a feature panel at San Diego Comic-Con on Friday, July 25, showcasing key development talent in writing, design, art and acting from Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor.

For the panel titled, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - How the Nemesis System evolves new-generation storytelling in games, and explores the history of the Rings of power, the discussion will include the following:
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor's innovative approach to storytelling through the Nemesis System, and how storytelling in games is all about the player stories

The secret history of the Rings of Power and their relationship to the Wraith, one of the key characters in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Reveal new story elements, including one of Middle-earth's most beloved characters, Gollum and his role in the upcoming action game

A brand new feature trailer reveal

To whet fans' appetites, the team today reveals the first Behind the Scenes interview for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, revealing panelists Troy Baker, who stars as Talion (The Last of Us, Batman: Arkham Origins) and Christian Cantamessa, lead writer (Red Dead Redemption), discussing their experiences creating the game. Look closely for the first glimpse of a beloved Middle-earth character, and a few new faces.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor delivers a dynamic game environment where the player orchestrates their personal plan of vengeance as they bend Mordor to their will. The game begins on the night of Sauron's return to Mordor, as his Black Captains brutally execute the Rangers of the Black Gate. Players become Talion, a ranger who loses his family and everything he holds dear, only to be returned from death by a mysterious Spirit of vengeance. Based on the player's actions with the in-game Nemesis System, every enemy encountered is distinct and can evolve to become a personal archenemy through the course of the game. As Talion's personal vendetta unfolds, players uncover the mystery of the Spirit that compels him, discover the origin of the Rings of Power and confront the ultimate nemesis. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor will be available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC.

For the latest game updates, like Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ShadowofMordor and follow the game on Twitter at https://twitter.com/middleearthgame.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jul 15 2014, 9:47pm)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 14 2014, 4:10pm

Post #2 of 15 (2139 views)
Shortcut
Gollum!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Read that Gollum would be making an appearance, but it's so cool to actually see him in the game!! This is really shaping up to be an amazing Middle-earth game, probably the best yet!

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2014, 4:50am

Post #3 of 15 (2101 views)
Shortcut
I realize [In reply to] Can't Post

that there are potential problems with how faithful to Tolkien this game will actually be (seems to be taking a lot of liberties with the Legendarium), but from what i've seen so far, it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. The world looks absolutely incredible, and the idea of running around Mordor as Sauron is rebuilding his evil dominion is mind blowing. Even the Nemesis System, which could so easily have been a gimmick that never quite works, is looking like it will add a lot of interesting elements to the game play.

But i do wonder, what the hell are they going to do with Gollum in this game? And is Andy Serkis involved (seems unlikely)? Can't wait to find out...

Now all i have to do is come up with 500 bucks by October and, more importantly, figure out if i want an XBOne or a PS4!

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Jul 16 2014, 4:52am)

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 16 2014, 5:28am

Post #4 of 15 (2094 views)
Shortcut
I'm gonna have to try and make this panel [In reply to] Can't Post

We shall see.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2014, 6:42pm

Post #5 of 15 (2082 views)
Shortcut
Not sure how I feel about this game... [In reply to] Can't Post

The RPG fan in me is excited about it, but the Tolkien fan in me is seething...

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2014, 6:46pm

Post #6 of 15 (2073 views)
Shortcut
It's also being released for both the 360 and PS3 though, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyway, I've been reading up on this, and the devs are insisting that the storyline will be extremely respectful of Tolkien lore, but I just don't see how a Ranger with "wraith powers (or whatever it is) is in any way respectful of the lore. This "wraith power" business seems to be something not even PJ would dream up.

In a way it reminds me of the Lord of the Rings: The Third Age RPG from a few years ago, where at the very end of the game you and your party are at the summit of Barad-dur fighting the Eye of Sauron. Laugh

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Jul 17 2014, 6:49pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 17 2014, 9:19pm

Post #7 of 15 (2076 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I hope that a success will finally start the process to a Elder Scroll's like RPG set in Middle-earth... or a revival of the "White Council" game idea.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 17 2014, 11:32pm

Post #8 of 15 (2068 views)
Shortcut
Glad they're expanding the universe [In reply to] Can't Post

Problem with the community (some anyway) is how they want everything to adhere to Tolkien's writings. But Middle-earth is so big and rich in lore, that why couldn't something like this happen? To be fenced in by Tolkien's books is a detriment to development teams. I'm glad they're doing something a little different. Just because they're adding something like wraith powers doesn't mean they don't respect Tolkien's lore. And if I recall, Tolkien wrote a letter that he wanted his universe to be expanded upon by others, that he was the creator of all this, but to have others come in and expand on his world. I love Middle-earth and Tolkien's writings, but to just keep getting the same old same old by strictly sticking to his work and what HE wrote is pretty boring (from a video game perspective, mind...).

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 18 2014, 8:13am

Post #9 of 15 (2065 views)
Shortcut
Noone said... [In reply to] Can't Post

... expansions are bad or unwelcomed.

That is something people often seem to throw at people critizising a change: "You do not want any change! You are a purist. You want everything to be completely from Tolkien" Etc.

They completely miss the point that most critics have substantial complaints about the form of a change or expansion, not the fact that is is a change or expansion in general.

I do not even mind the wraith story so much... but to me it feels like a Assasin's Creed version of Mordor... not the landscape I would be most interested in seeing in a game, nor the play style that makes the most sense concerning the legendarium. I simply think that such games would usually come after a universe has been used for the kind of games that would flow most natural with the source material. And that, to me, is obviously an open-world RPG.

It is not "same old, same old". It has simply not been done within the unsiverse before (other than LotRO, kind of).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2014, 10:27pm

Post #10 of 15 (2057 views)
Shortcut
Why couldn't the devs just use a fresh, new setting? [In reply to] Can't Post

That would have been way more worthy of respect, rather than glomming onto Tolkien's world just because it sells.

And if I recall, Tolkien wrote a letter that he wanted his universe to be expanded upon by others, that he was the creator of all this, but to have others come in and expand on his world.

Really? Because I've read the exact opposite - that Tolkien loathed the idea of Middle-earth fan-fiction, especially if it was used for commercial purposes (like this game is). I cannot recall which letter it was, but here's a link that may shed some light on this for you - http://askmiddlearth.tumblr.com/...lkien-and-fanfiction

In any event, I still may check this game out if it gets good reviews. But I'll probably roll my eyes alot like I did with the LotR- The Third Age game (which I liked all-in-all even though it's fan-fic elements were corny as all hell).

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2014, 10:32pm

Post #11 of 15 (2052 views)
Shortcut
Totally correct... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not against the idea of expanding the universe, I'd just like it to at least resemble the lore somehow.

All I know right now is that I think the idea of a Ranger having "wratih powers" just sounds completely silly, and unlike anything in Tolkien's world. But, I will wait for reviews before decided whether to play the game or not.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2014, 10:33pm

Post #12 of 15 (2069 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I was bummed that "White Council" game got shelved... [In reply to] Can't Post

Still holding out hope for something like that.

Elessar
Valinor

Jul 19 2014, 8:11pm

Post #13 of 15 (2082 views)
Shortcut
AC [In reply to] Can't Post

I think an AC style (combat) or even the Arkham (combat) will be quite fun to run around Mordor. I know it's fan fic but I am excited to take that style of game and run around Middle-earth. I'll be honest I've never gotten into RPG games as a whole. Third Age and War in the North are on a short list of RPG games that I loved and kept my interest. Games like AC, Arkham, Red Dead, Bio Shock, are games where I think you could really maximize the amazing was Middle-earth and the fun of playing games.

What I would really love to see is on these next gens someone do game styles like the ROTK game for the whole LOTR Trilogy and The Hobbit films. I would play that over and over.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 4:18pm

Post #14 of 15 (2015 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, but i'm gonna end up getting a new gen console anyway, [In reply to] Can't Post

might as well make the leap with this.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2014, 6:33pm

Post #15 of 15 (2054 views)
Shortcut
As with most games, [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm more into the gameplay and setting than i am the story, which i usually don't pay much attention to. There are a few notable exceptions-- Half-life and Portal, Resident Evil, Dead Space, Metroid Prime-- but for the most part i usually don't even really notice the story. Shadows of Mordor just might have to be one of those games. We shall see...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.