The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will BoFA win VFX Oscar?

Sildarion~Valenar
Bree

Jul 12 2014, 7:02am

Post #1 of 23 (1738 views)
Shortcut
Will BoFA win VFX Oscar? Can't Post

Just saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
And not mentioning the fact how brilliant the film was in non-technical ways, but the visual effects too were breathtaking and in my opinion a leading contender for this year's VFX oscars.

Cannot tell if BOFA will win the award or not, but I think Dawn can very well snatch away the prize here.

PS: I know awards do not matter and either way, the award would go to WETA anyway! This merely for entertainment and speculation.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 12 2014, 7:34am

Post #2 of 23 (1388 views)
Shortcut
Since I haven't seen TBOTFA yet I can't tell you but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the effects in DotPotA are amazing. Those apes look real! Especially Andy Serkis' Caesar. Again I would ask the Academy to wake up and give that man a nomination at least. He deserves it. You really fell in love with Caesar. Thanks to Serkis and thanks to the amazing work of WETA. It is a strong contender for the special effects award.

But still there is TBOTFA on it's way. It could be a great movie with amazing CGI and stuff but the main reason why AUJ and DOS didn*t win their awards (besides strong competition like "Life of Pi" and "Gravity") was the overuse of CGI in it. Both movies had amazing stuff (Gollum, Smaug) and not so well executed or developed things. Perhaps they did improve on it... perhaps Smaug looks even better in this movie, perhaps Azog looks even more realistic in this one. We've got a dragon destroying a city, we've got wizards fighting a dark lord and the "biggest battle of cinema history". So there's a chance that TBOTFA could win that award but as the last years... it won't be easy. It depends on the (over-)use of CGI and other VFX and SFX.

Here are my predictions for the nominees for best visuall effects for the next Academy Awards:

1.) X-Men: Days of Future Past / Guardians of the Galaxy / The Amazing Spider-Man 2 / Captain America: The Winter Soldier (At least one of these superhero movies will be on this list)
2.) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
3.) Interstellar
4.) The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
5.) Godzilla

At least three movies are WETA ones. Other candidates could be: Noah, Edge of Tomorrow. I haven't seen Transformers: Age of Extinction but I guess it's almost the same as the previous ones right? Nothing new, nothing special to recieve an awards nomination right?

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2014, 7:59am

Post #3 of 23 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much think Apes has it in the bag [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't seen it yet since it's not coming out here till August (damn!) but from what i heard it has amazing VFX, plus it has amazing reviews which will help no doubt when it comes time to vote.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jul 12 2014, 7:59am)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jul 12 2014, 8:10am

Post #4 of 23 (1373 views)
Shortcut
I am planning to watch DOTPOTA [In reply to] Can't Post

really soon since i have really liked all previous movies of that series,with Tim Burton's movie being my favourite so far.

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

"Tolkien Nazis is a disgusting scourge of the internet"

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2014, 8:19am

Post #5 of 23 (1358 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

The majority seems to hate Burton's version, at least judging from the internet.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jul 12 2014, 8:24am

Post #6 of 23 (1346 views)
Shortcut
I know. [In reply to] Can't Post

But from what i have noticed and it is unbelievable if you ask me,is that many Christopher Nolan's fans have tried to downgrade everything concerning Tim Burton's movies in the past few years.Not that i believe this is the main reason of the hate(the movie has flaws),but it was pretty much noticeable if you observed it.

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

"Tolkien Nazis is a disgusting scourge of the internet"

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 12 2014, 12:24pm

Post #7 of 23 (1282 views)
Shortcut
Probably not [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is unfortunate, as I'd like to see TH walk away with any Oscar. But yes, I saw DOTPOTA last night too and I have to say the CGI in it was beyond fantastic, and overall an AMAZING film which deserves the VFX Oscar, and many more. Serkis's performance was, beyond any doubt, fantastic, and it'd be a shame if he got snubbed for an Oscar for his performance, but I still don't think the Academy looks at mo-cap as "real acting" just yet.

I hope TH does walk away with some Oscars. But in this day and age where what TH is doing isn't anything groundbreaking, it's hard for it to achieve those awards like LOTR which, for its time, was truly a groundbreaking film series.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 12 2014, 1:11pm

Post #8 of 23 (1263 views)
Shortcut
Probably not. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless the buzz will be very good - that is always possible. Especially since Bot5A will be much closer to the time most people make their decisions re the Oscars.

But if not Apes has the best chances, imho.

Of course there is some backlash from the reception of AUJ regarding the VFX (although the comments re the effects were much much better for DoS).

In the end TH will probably just have had the issue of going up against incredible strong VFX movies (Pi, Gravity, Apes). It imho does not really show that TH was "weak" in that regard - far from it - but it simply came in second for three years in a row... that happens and it happened to a lot of movies in the three years of LotR.

TH simply isn't and couldn't be as groundbreaking as LotR in that regard. Which isn't a bad thing, really. We simply get much more stunning looking movies these days.

I hope for some nominations, though. Especially for "Production Design" - as I believe - whatever one thinks about DoS - that was a major snub!

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 12 2014, 1:13pm)

tarasaurus
Rohan

Jul 12 2014, 1:21pm

Post #9 of 23 (1264 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

They will pull a RotK and the majority of the Hobbit's winnings will go to BO5A. I hope Andy at the very LEAST gets an award because a lot of people didn't/don't consider him an actor since he does mo-cap mainly. I think Martin certainly deserves one...and Richard. AH, just give them all the awards!

tsmith675
Gondor

Jul 12 2014, 1:26pm

Post #10 of 23 (1264 views)
Shortcut
Interstellar will be the front runner. [In reply to] Can't Post

Followed by Apes. And then BoFA. I don't think it will win. Interstellar is what I'm putting my money on.

Our destiny lies above us.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 12 2014, 2:27pm

Post #11 of 23 (1252 views)
Shortcut
No RotK [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to give a counter-view here... I think it will be impossible for Bot5A to pull a RotK.

The critical success until now comes nowhere close to FotR and TTT - certainly no feeling that - especially in the case of FotR - the best film of the year did not win. There is also no real buzz - which is not always connected to critical reception. But there are simply other movies that generate buzz these time around... Hunger Games, Les Mis, Interstellar, Gravity, Pi, etc. Some of them even managed to secure (Oscar-)buzz when critical reception wasn't that great in the end.

Of course it could be that the "majority of TH's winnings" will go to Bot5A... but since AUJ and DoS won no Oscar and almost no other awards (certainly no major ones) this will not be too hard.

I hope though that Bot5A will get noms in the technical categories - cinematography, editing, sound, VFX. And in the art categories Production Design and Make-Up/Hair. And maybe additional ones in score (and song).

Maybe 1-2 wins could be in there somewhere.

I do not really see an Oscar-perfomance in TH. Not by a long shot.

Imho the only Oscar-performances (at least for Noms) have been Bean and McKellen in FotR, and Serkis (in TTT and AUJ).

All five movies show though - imho - that the Oscars should have an Ensemble Oscar.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 12 2014, 2:30pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2014, 6:24pm

Post #12 of 23 (1186 views)
Shortcut
I didn't hate it, [In reply to] Can't Post

and i thought the performances and prosthetics were fantastic, but the story was fairly forgettable (writing this, i'm having trouble even remembering how it ends), and thought that Marky Mark was terribly miscast (as he usually is), much like James Franco was in the re-re-boot (though otherwise i really love Rise, and can't wait to see Dawn later this week).

It was the movie that marked the era of not seeing every single one of Tim Burton's movies anymore for me, though.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2014, 9:01pm

Post #13 of 23 (1170 views)
Shortcut
I'm going out on a limb [In reply to] Can't Post

BoT5A takes zero Oscars.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 12 2014, 9:56pm

Post #14 of 23 (1155 views)
Shortcut
I'm expecting it to have the best VFX of the trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

I think even Smaug will get a visual upgrade, and I think the VFX will really wow and impress this time, just like RotK back in the day. But the competition is too strong. Whatever happens I'm betting on Weta getting the win, whatever film Smile They're mainly in competition with themselves.

Nira
Lorien

Jul 12 2014, 11:08pm

Post #15 of 23 (1117 views)
Shortcut
Ditto// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 13 2014, 12:55am

Post #16 of 23 (1148 views)
Shortcut
Freeman and Armitage [In reply to] Can't Post

They both definitely deserve an Oscar nomination. Martin Freeman plays Bilbo so perfectly it really does astonish me how he hasn't garnered a nomination. His mannerisms, deliverance of dialogue, subtle body motions, are all superb, and really has blown me away. I think they Academy looks too closely at WHAT the actor is playing opposed to HOW they play them. Like with the actors who win, it's because they're playing something "controversial", so to say, and "daring", which is why they win, even though their performance isn't anything mind-blowing. Now with Freeman as Bilbo, it's like he's not even acting, but has BECOME Bilbo, which is something few actors can do IMO.

And Armitage could land a chance with climactic moment in this film. He has portrayed Thorin amazingly, and it's hard to picture anyone else in the role for me. When reading the book now I see Armitage's Thorin (well, same goes for most characters and their actors in the respective story). But Armitage has such a commanding screen presence, and really does portray the role of a leader superbly. As Balin said, "There is one that I could follow. There is one I could call king." And that's too true, since Armitage IS someone I would follow into battle, into death if needs be. And he's doing Thorin's descent into greed fantastically as well. That moment when he sees Bilbo in Erebor, "You're alive! Did you find the Arkenstone?" and then has that crazed look in his eye, and stops Bilbo with his sword and it almost looks like he's debating doing horrible things to Bilbo to find out if he has it.

Again, to say Bean, McKellen, and Serkis are the only Oscar-worthy performances in the saga is absurd. They were fantastic (especially Bean), but I don't think there is one bad actor in these films.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 13 2014, 7:45am

Post #17 of 23 (1106 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's not to say they will be nominated, of course. None of us can know whether they will or not, and it's often hard to see the rationale behind the choices that are made. But to say that they don't deserve it seems bizarre to me. I find it hard to imagine anyone who could have made a better Bilbo or Thorin than Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage. Their performances are outstanding.

Similarly, when you look into the artwork, costumes, set dressing and so for these films, the quality is breathtaking. I'd say that all that really counts against them is a perception that this is 'more of the same', and that's a hard barrier to break through.

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 13 2014, 8:31am

Post #18 of 23 (1104 views)
Shortcut
I agree that Freeman probably had a shot... [In reply to] Can't Post

... had the movies generated more buzz.

But I stand by my quote that I do not find much more Oscar-performances in the movies. However. because of the brilliance of the ensemble and the coming-alive of beloved characters, I would have hoped for an Ensmeble Oscar (for both trilogies).

That is not to say there are no good performanes or great performances. I said no Oscar-performances.

As anyone who follows the Oscars should know this is not and has never been the same!

So maybe think about that before you talk absurdity. I have not attacked your beloved actors or movies in my post. The words "deserve" or "worthy" was never in my post to begin with Crazy

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 13 2014, 8:34am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2014, 4:44pm

Post #19 of 23 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Freeman's performance [In reply to] Can't Post

is completely Oscar worthy IMO however, it gets lost in some of the other story telling.

To be fair and ensemble cast like this is always tough. There are multiple storylines and screentime given to other stories and characters, some which got less time than I wanted (Thranduil).

Having said that: I think it will be tough for The Hobbit to win any at all. Not because it isn't deserving. It is in many respects. I just think there are other movies that may take the awards.

Remember when ROTK was out it stood alone at the top of the heap for VFX, Costumes at all. it's not that way this time.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 14 2014, 9:04am

Post #20 of 23 (1008 views)
Shortcut
That is exactly what I meant. [In reply to] Can't Post

I never spoke about being worthy or deserving.

I really wished some people had read my post above more closely before calling my opinion "absurd" and referring to something I did not even say in the first place - that any of the actor is "not good enough" or even "bad".

Far from it - I am a huge fan of PJ's (and Co) casting decisions in general. He has a very good record here. A magnificent one, actually.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 14 2014, 9:06am)

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 14 2014, 12:20pm

Post #21 of 23 (1004 views)
Shortcut
Reading through the Apes reviews... [In reply to] Can't Post

... this morning, I am pretty sure the VFX-Oscar-ship for TH has sailed.

But Serkis might finally come closer to nominations for his performances. Several reviews are specifically calling for a nomination.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jul 14 2014, 12:24pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2014, 8:51pm

Post #22 of 23 (962 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen it yet [In reply to] Can't Post

and I haven't really read any reviews only because I'm not big on them in general and like to see for myself.

But I've felt for sometime that any Oscars for TH were questionable just because the industry has changed (and a lot of that thanks to PJ and Weta) and many films now are kicking into high gear when it comes to the VFX.

I'm not big on awards anyway, I just find them kind of self congratulatory, but I will still enjoy BoT5A very much so even if it does miss out on Oscars.

I still think it will have zero Oscars at the end of the day. And that's okay. PJ has had his time in the sun and nothing will ever take that away.

anthonyroy
Bree

Jul 14 2014, 10:17pm

Post #23 of 23 (964 views)
Shortcut
Think the Academy feel they have given Middle Earth our fair quota of Oscars now [In reply to] Can't Post

The SFX has been outstanding for the most part in the first two films, but the last couple of years they have awarded the VFX award to the less conventional big budget blockbuster, like Life of Pi and Gravity. I wouldn't be surprised if Christopher Nolan's Interstellar has some outstanding and realistic VFX when it's released in November, that would put it in with a shout at best VFX. Maybe even Ridley Scott's biblical epic "Exodus." Looks very FX heavy. But I agree with many others on here, Apes looks to have in the bag (as things stand).

(This post was edited by anthonyroy on Jul 14 2014, 10:18pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.