The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
True Courage Question & DOS Elvish Question

Celedor
Rivendell

Jul 10 2014, 4:09pm

Post #1 of 3 (784 views)
Shortcut
True Courage Question & DOS Elvish Question Can't Post

Couple of questions I was wondering if you people could help me with.

First, in AUJ Gandalf says, "True courage is knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one". I've been seeing this quote on the internet attributed to Tolkien, but I have no memory of it appearing in his writings. Does anyone know if it's in his books somewhere, or is it just an invention of the films' writers?

Second, in DOS after Legolas and the Elves appear and save the dwarves from the Spiders, there's some Elvish spoken (following Legolas's order to "search them".) Does anyone know what this Elvish is and what it translates to?

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jul 10 2014, 4:32pm

Post #2 of 3 (591 views)
Shortcut
Quote [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm fairly certain the quote is purely from AUJ, not from Tolkien.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 11 2014, 7:15am

Post #3 of 3 (434 views)
Shortcut
This sounds like a paraphrase... [In reply to] Can't Post

...of Gandalf's remark, "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement" from FotR and quoted in the movie, though in a different setting.

I'm pretty sure your quote from AUJ is not Tolkien, but an effort on the part of the movie to echo that same sentiment.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jul 11 2014, 7:15am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.