Rewatching FOTR - interesting observation re. The Hobbit

HelmHammerHand
The Shire

Jul 9 2014, 10:58pm

Post #1 of 13 (2355 views)
Shortcut
Rewatching FOTR - interesting observation re. The Hobbit Can't Post

Was rewatching FOTR and saw one bit in a new light due to DOS

At the mines of Moria Gandalf explains that even dwarves struggle to find their own secret doors to which Legolas sarcastically says 'now why doesn't that surprise me'...to Gimli's annoyance.

In light of the dwarves' struggle to find the secret Door at Erebor in DOS it gives an extra edge to Legolas' line does it not?

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 9 2014, 11:19pm

Post #2 of 13 (1744 views)
Shortcut
That's a cool observation! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love these subtleties Smile

Welcome to TORn.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Nira
Lorien

Jul 10 2014, 1:09am

Post #3 of 13 (1673 views)
Shortcut
Yes, indeed! That's funny [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome! Smile

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 10 2014, 1:40am

Post #4 of 13 (1686 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love those small little things in FOTR when they reference The Hobbit like that. back then it just hinted at a larger world and bigger adventures we hadn't seen yet, so now that we have seen them (well most of them) than we're in the know now, let's see if I can name them all

"If you're referring to the incident with the Dragon I was barely involved. All I did was give your Uncle a little...nudge out of the door"

Gandalf finding Thorin's map in Bag-End

Bilbo telling the story of the Stone trolls albeit a little differently (all good stories deserve embellishment as Gandalf once said)

The Dragon Firework

The Stone Trolls

The Red Book Of Westmarch I love pausing and zooming in on it!

"I meant to go back Wonder at the powers of Mirkwood, visit Lake-Town and see The Lonely Mountain again"

Gloin himself appearing at The Council Of Elrond (different actor)

The Tomb of Balin in Moria with Ori propped up beside it holding The Book Of Mazerbul

Gandalf talking about Thorin and the Mithril coat in Moria

Gimli's insult to Haldir is the same one that Thorin gives to Thranduil (supposedly)

"Welcome, Legolas Son of Thranduil "

and in ROTK

"We're goin' There and Back again just like Mr Bilbo"

From Bilbo Himself "I think I'm quite ready for another adventure!"

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 10 2014, 1:49am

Post #5 of 13 (1666 views)
Shortcut
Gloin [In reply to] Can't Post

The interesting thing about Gloing in FotR is that he only appears in that one shot of him and Gimli arriving in Rivendell. He's not actually present at the council in the movie, but neither is Bilbo. I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I like to think that Gloin was spending time with Bilbo while leaving the council to the other dwarves that came along.

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Jul 10 2014, 2:29am

Post #6 of 13 (1657 views)
Shortcut
I found the last two references you mention (in ROTK) [In reply to] Can't Post

quite poignant. It will be very satisfying to be able to stack up all 6 movies one day.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 10 2014, 2:47am

Post #7 of 13 (1615 views)
Shortcut
I hope [In reply to] Can't Post

that Bilbo say "I don't think I'm ready for another adventure" or something like that in this last film it would be a nice call back or forward or whatever, bookends I guess for the character

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Jul 10 2014, 8:53pm

Post #8 of 13 (1359 views)
Shortcut
The line... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the line was 'wander the paths of Mirkwood'?

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 10 2014, 8:58pm

Post #9 of 13 (1347 views)
Shortcut
I actually Have no idea lol [In reply to] Can't Post

it's either "wander the paths" or "Wonder at the powers" I just put one lol given the way Mirkwood was portrayed in Desolation Of Smaug it makes the line sound as if Bilbo wants to go to Mirkwood to get high again lol

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Jul 10 2014, 9:04pm

Post #10 of 13 (1343 views)
Shortcut
Good theory! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think of him wandering the path that Gandalf told them not to stray from.
This is part of the reason why FOTR is my favorite movie of all time, all these references adding to the history and lore.

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 11 2014, 2:47am

Post #11 of 13 (1305 views)
Shortcut
Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great observation!

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Jul 11 2014, 9:28am

Post #12 of 13 (1270 views)
Shortcut
Is that the line? I always thought it was "wander the paths of Mirkwood"... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I love those small little things in FOTR when they reference The Hobbit like that. back then it just hinted at a larger world and bigger adventures we hadn't seen yet, so now that we have seen them (well most of them) than we're in the know now, let's see if I can name them all

"If you're referring to the incident with the Dragon I was barely involved. All I did was give your Uncle a little...nudge out of the door"

Gandalf finding Thorin's map in Bag-End

Bilbo telling the story of the Stone trolls albeit a little differently (all good stories deserve embellishment as Gandalf once said)

The Dragon Firework

The Stone Trolls

The Red Book Of Westmarch I love pausing and zooming in on it!

"I meant to go back Wonder at the powers of Mirkwood, visit Lake-Town and see The Lonely Mountain again"

Gloin himself appearing at The Council Of Elrond (different actor)

The Tomb of Balin in Moria with Ori propped up beside it holding The Book Of Mazerbul

Gandalf talking about Thorin and the Mithril coat in Moria

Gimli's insult to Haldir is the same one that Thorin gives to Thranduil (supposedly)

"Welcome, Legolas Son of Thranduil "

and in ROTK

"We're goin' There and Back again just like Mr Bilbo"

From Bilbo Himself "I think I'm quite ready for another adventure!"

Fleuz
Lorien

Jul 11 2014, 10:18am

Post #13 of 13 (1269 views)
Shortcut
No it says [In reply to] Can't Post

Wonder at the Powers...
Cause in German they say "... die Wunder Düsterwalds zu erblicken..."
And the translator have the Script. Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.