The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Is anyone out there "semi-retired?"

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 9 2014, 5:29pm

Post #1 of 21 (644 views)
Shortcut
Is anyone out there "semi-retired?" Can't Post

I am 54 years old, my oldest has a baby that will turn 1 year in August (which makes me a Grandma!), and the youngest is moving into the dorms this fall. I'm at a point in life where I simply don't have to work as much as I used to, and having more time sounds like a great idea. I don't want to be "retired" so much, because I don't want to sit around watching TV all day long (that would be BORING!!!), and I probably can't afford that anyway. But I HATE having to get to work on time 5 days/week, and then try to get dinner on the table before it's too late to do anything besides watch TV. I can't help but think if I were working fewer hours, I'd have time for exercise and guitar playing, and I could spend more time with my grand-daughter! I used to think I'd have a Masters by now, which would allow me to teach part-time in a Jr. College, but now that I'm 54 I'm not sure that would be a good investment. So I'm trying to think of something else. I've toyed with the idea of becoming a personal trainer/group instructor for "mature" people, and I've also thought about writing, in fact I'm currently writing a book inspired by the Hobbit movies (but not about hobbits, not a fanfic either), but I realize that's a longshot. So, just wondering if anyone out there is "semi-retired" and if so, what is it you are doing? I'd really love to know, thanks!

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jul 9 2014, 6:40pm

Post #2 of 21 (555 views)
Shortcut
First of all [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations on being in a financial position to be able to retire so young. It will be awesome to hang with your grandchild and do things with him or her - I know my Mom wishes my niece lived nearby so that she could see her regularly instead of having a "cram week" or "cram long weekend" every few months. I don't know what your situation is, but depending on how often you babysit and are allowed to take him or her on daytrip excursions that might keep you quite busy (and extremely appreciated by Mom and Dad, especially in the event both parents work). Enjoy that and let it sink in for a while. You won't be in any rush.

Certainly keeping busy - but not with something that is obligatory - is a great idea. Basically, you have three options - hobbies, volunteerism or part-time work. Only you know what's best for you. For my Mom, she's become more heavily involved in our Church. There are always many neighborhood organizations which need help if you want to look into that. For myself, I would love to volunteer at either the Bronx Zoo or the American Museum of Natural History if I'm in a position to do so when the time comes. If I'm really feeling good I might look into being a part-time New York City tour guide. My brother thinks I would be great at it. Retirement's still a long way off for me though so I'm nowhere near considering my options.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2014, 7:21pm

Post #3 of 21 (546 views)
Shortcut
Not yet [In reply to] Can't Post

Im 58. Can't go to two more years at the earliest..unfortunately.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 9 2014, 7:42pm

Post #4 of 21 (550 views)
Shortcut
gramma's rock! :D & I'm semi-retired... in my head :( [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm 62 and planned on retiring *checks watch* THIS MONTH during my original planning 2 years ago, but our wonderful Michigan governor changed the laws so I can't afford to now. I actually have less to live on now than I did 8 years ago. I'll be working until I'm at least 65.

I'd definitely do whatever fills your heart. You don't have to limit to one or two things. I'd suggest cutting back your hours first and then fill the rest with your primary interests (g'kiddies, guitar, school). Then, if you find you need more time to do the things you love and can afford to retire... DO IT! FERSHER!

I love my job and work with wonderful people, but the time it takes from my day is very inconvenient ;) I say... GO FOR IT! *high five*

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 9 2014, 8:18pm

Post #5 of 21 (533 views)
Shortcut
PM...? Bomby..."KidsDO- WHAT?Wheels" Bomby knows/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 9 2014, 9:03pm

Post #6 of 21 (534 views)
Shortcut
does underemployed count as semi-retired [In reply to] Can't Post

I went back to school at 50 and got a new degree but in a field that tanked as I graduated. So I work on an 'as needed' basis.

What I do with my 'other time'?

I flirt between three major projects - although lately, it's been pretty much one of the three:
--genealogy
--LOTR soundtrack (I have a website... points down)
--TORn History Project (I manage a wiki... points down)

I also do some odd contract graphic design jobs. And lately I've been sending moments of support to a few friends who are needing it badly.

I hit this 'underemployment' right about the time my family really needed me. As much as we struggled financially, I was glad that I had energy to deal with things that needed my attention.

And I appreciate being able to cook a decent meal for dinner. I'm with you there all the way.

But both my husband and I will be working as long as we can. We don't have any cushy retirement funds waiting for us.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 9 2014, 11:13pm

Post #7 of 21 (526 views)
Shortcut
I think I flunked retirement. [In reply to] Can't Post

In 2006 I turned my company over to our chief engineer, retired, got married, and moved to Hawaii. For a time I relaxed, hiked a lot, and did some volunteer gardening at the local little theatre. Then I started singing with a semi-professional choral group, got on its board of directors, and became its Treasurer. Concurrently, I sang in the choir at church and gradually got involved in the Outreach group (volunteering at homeless shelter, etc.), and then became its Treasurer. Now I'm busier than I was when I was "working"!

But it's very rewarding, and I'm not sorry.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jul 9 2014, 11:13pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 10 2014, 3:28am

Post #8 of 21 (504 views)
Shortcut
Your Mom sounds cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I'm afraid even semi-retirement is a few years off, but it's never too early to start thinking about it. I've had a bad habit in my "working life" of waiting too long to do anything - my retirement pension is a great example of that. BUT expenses are down, and will be down even lower soon (well, in about 3-4 years when the 18-yr-old is through college), my car will be paid off then, and I could probably get by on part-time work. Would prefer to not be a WalMart greeter, though (LOL!)!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 10 2014, 3:33am

Post #9 of 21 (503 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to hear this [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a friend about my age who lost his job 2 years ago, and hasn't found steady work since! He's trying to break into acting, I wish him luck but like the writing I think it's a long-shot. And I'm not good enough on guitar for either playing or teaching professionally - but maybe if I had more time to put into it....

I wish you luck and hope for the best for you. You do kind of confirm my belief that maybe pursuing the Master's would not be the wisest use of my time or money. My older daughter wants to go into web development, and is starting a side business. She hopes to make enough from that to work from home, and save enough on daycare to make it worth while. Those days are gone for me! We sometimes joke about me quitting my full-time job and working for her as a nanny - but I'm not sure she could afford that, and my hubby might kill me for that (LOL!)!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 10 2014, 3:35am

Post #10 of 21 (503 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a terrific gig, [In reply to] Can't Post

and Hawaii to boot! I could go for a deal like that for sure!!!

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 10 2014, 7:46am

Post #11 of 21 (495 views)
Shortcut
Do things to engage your heart, mind and gut. [In reply to] Can't Post

Re-reading, this sounds like a women's self-help magazine article, but here goes.

Heart: We need to be useful, to feel connected. I miss the interaction with adult students I had as a teacher - but not the end-of-term reports. It sounds like your grandbaby fits the ticket. Spend time with friends and community groups who energize you or need your support that you used to think, "Darn! I wish I had more time!"

Mind: If you don't use it you lose it. Write your book. Take a class about something you know and something you don't (see "Gut" below). Then take another one. Sign up to teach something you know once a week. If you're a committee person with finely honed organizational skills, find something you believe in and make a difference. If you have the resources, at least look into the MA or related course work. Experience counts. Not all college courses should be taught by 30-year olds. (not a dig at 30-yr olds. I've been one myself.)

Gut: Do something scary! Not nuts, but something out of your comfort zone, unrelated to your work life and who you think you are as a person. Something that makes your tummy occasionally do flip-flops and your brain scream, "What the heck are we doing here?! Who exactly do you think you are?!" For me it wasn't jumping out of airplanes (that's just nuts!) but it might be for somebody. Writing a book is scary. For me it was going to a casting call for movie extras - and then getting to do it and throwing myself into every possible ridiculous aspect wholeheartedly and taking a chance on making a complete fool of myself! I'd never felt more exhilarated. (Whew! Yeah! That's what I'm talkin' about!)

Join a gym or ride a bicycle. You'll need the energy boost.

Well, this should get you started. With luck we'll both be gutsy 90-year olds with bigger hearts and minds like steel traps.
Best of luck in your new endeavor.Smile

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Jul 10 2014, 7:49am)

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 10 2014, 4:16pm

Post #12 of 21 (482 views)
Shortcut
*Hand shoots up* [In reply to] Can't Post

I've worked full time all my adult life and raised a daughter and granddaughter. When my husband died in 2010 his insurance money allowed me to work part time. I've been part time since 2011 and love it. I spend a lot of time with my granddaughter who's ten now and my dogs and my parents who are in their eighties. I call my car RaRa's (what my grand calls me) Taxi & Pet Transport.
I work Tuesday-Thursday 7:00am-3:30pm. I always joke that I have to go to work to rest even though I'm very busy at my job.

I will retire in about three years and this has been a good transition.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 10 2014, 4:32pm

Post #13 of 21 (488 views)
Shortcut
I went back to school at your age [In reply to] Can't Post

I called it retirement because I used up most of my retirement funds to do it. Now I'm back out working in a field that I love & would be happy to stay in for another 20 years. Then maybe I'll "retire." (My folks are 90 and 95 so I figure I've got time.)

My dad says he's busier in retirement than he was as a physician. He volunteers, got way into genealogy, joined a debate club, gardens, and plays tennis.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2014, 6:44pm

Post #14 of 21 (478 views)
Shortcut
Bomby is 64, & two years into Social Security [In reply to] Can't Post

Applied @ Home Depot.& other places
..BUT the RED FLAG
came up...
THEY Don't LIKE... Unions?

Since my Stagehand work for 13 years was UNION...
I felt... that made them Nervous..

If any of you OLDER ones want to be
FaceBook Friends?
PM me...I'll give my full name...

ONE REASON Facebook.. this soo great
is other friends my own age are there
& together we have a lot of IDEAS
how to do our Bucket lists together

OLD GEEZER
NETWORK Marketing Works!

Namarie
Bomby!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 10 2014, 6:45pm

Post #15 of 21 (479 views)
Shortcut
Back to school [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I called it retirement because I used up most of my retirement funds to do it. Now I'm back out working in a field that I love & would be happy to stay in for another 20 years. Then maybe I'll "retire." (My folks are 90 and 95 so I figure I've got time.)

My dad says he's busier in retirement than he was as a physician. He volunteers, got way into genealogy, joined a debate club, gardens, and plays tennis.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you study? I have a Bachelor's in Applied Tech - really, it's a way for people with Associate Degrees to get a Bachelors. I was a Paraglegal for many years (that's what the Associates was in), but no way would I go to Law School. Currently I'm working at a Law School as a Secretary - pretty easy work compared to Law firms, but not the best pay. Still, I don't need that much money anymore. A 2nd degree (or even a Master's) in something I love would be interesting, I've certainly thought about it.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 12 2014, 2:11am

Post #16 of 21 (455 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

after 30 years of working as a medical/technical writer, I got a PhD in Mythological Studies - a case of "following my bliss." Now I teach & I have a book coming out next year with plans for another.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 12 2014, 3:54am

Post #17 of 21 (448 views)
Shortcut
That is inspiring! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
after 30 years of working as a medical/technical writer, I got a PhD in Mythological Studies - a case of "following my bliss." Now I teach & I have a book coming out next year with plans for another

I've read the articles on your site and really enjoy your writings - the topics, your insights and the way you write :). Congratulations on publishing your book!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2014, 4:29am

Post #18 of 21 (447 views)
Shortcut
I changed careers [In reply to] Can't Post

in my (supposedly) mature years from software developer to novelist. I do write full-time, but it's so much fun that it feels like semi-retirement. :)

I've been incredibly lucky, though, in doing what I love and making a comfortable income from it. I've come across so many people who've written great books and haven't had the sprinkle of fairy dust that I somehow managed to collect. You're absolutely correct in describing a writing career as a long-shot.

Which is *not* to say to give up on writing your book! Inspiration is something to grab with both hands. Just don't count on it as an income generator. especially not in the short term.

It sounds as if you have some great ideas to fill in your time! I hope it works out for you, whichever direction your journey takes you.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Annael
Immortal

Jul 12 2014, 4:15pm

Post #19 of 21 (442 views)
Shortcut
I believe with all my heart [In reply to] Can't Post

that the second half of life is meant to be about creativity. Taking all those experiences of the first half of life and turning them into something to share with . . . and maybe inspire/help/please other people.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2014, 7:50pm

Post #20 of 21 (432 views)
Shortcut
That's a lovely thought. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 12 2014, 8:31pm

Post #21 of 21 (425 views)
Shortcut
I'll second that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.