The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
another "can't post picture" question

Nira
Lorien

Jul 6 2014, 1:45am

Post #1 of 6 (124 views)
Shortcut
another "can't post picture" question Can't Post

I finally got the image the right size saved in my computer so I could attach it. I attach it and click (also tried not clicking) the Inline box. I go to post, but then it doesn't show up in the post or even as an attachment link in the post.

I tried following the "TORn Image Posting Guide." My posting text box looks different from the example shown, so I can't do this step: "Click the image icon in the tool tray above the compose window.
If this icon doesn't seem to be active (useable), try putting a few black spaces in the compose window and highlighting them." Nothing like that shows up.

What step am I not getting? Thanks!

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 6 2014, 2:28am

Post #2 of 6 (107 views)
Shortcut
are you using Chrome or Safari? [In reply to] Can't Post

If so, you are in basic editor.

The steps for basic editor is to upload the image, making sure the inline box is ticked.

I grabbed an image to demonstrate with. Once it's uploaded you'll see something like this:

Then you have to write the code.

The code for this particular picture looks like this:

That is ... left square bracket ... then the word "inline" ... then a space ... then the name of your image with file extension ... then right square bracket.

You can't have any spaces in the file name of the image. So don't upload an image with the file name "crazy cat". Make it "crazycat" or "crazy-cat" or "crazy_cat".

When the code is activated, it posts the picture - like this one I uploaded and wrote code for:

Does this help?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 6 2014, 2:30am)

Nira
Lorien

Jul 6 2014, 3:40am

Post #3 of 6 (91 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by Nira [In reply to]

Nira
Lorien

Jul 6 2014, 3:44am

Post #4 of 6 (89 views)
Shortcut
testing 123 [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

(This post was edited by Nira on Jul 6 2014, 3:47am)

Nira
Lorien

Jul 6 2014, 3:46am

Post #5 of 6 (92 views)
Shortcut
Figured it out! THANK YOU!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 6 2014, 4:38am

Post #6 of 6 (98 views)
Shortcut
great... but there is a problem with your avatar [In reply to] Can't Post

on a whim, I checked the size of your avatar by opening it in a new window. It's bigger than the allotted size for avatars which is no larger than 100 x 100 pixels.

The forum software will reduce the size of images that are larger than this but sometimes it can make your posts mess up so no one can read them.

It doesn't look like your posts are getting messed up by the over large avatar but it would safest to reduce the size of it.

I figured you didn't really want those black bars on the top and bottom and that you'd just as soon shave off the excess on the sides to get the focus of the image as big as possible. So I threw it in photoshop and came up with this:

If you want to use this, just download the image onto your computer and use this instead of the one you have now.

(in case it seems that I go around checking everyone's avatar, I don't. :-) I just knew this was a movie screenshot and the fact that you hadn't edited out the black bars made me think you might not have edited the size of the image.)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.