The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien

emre43
Rohan

Jul 3 2014, 1:09pm

Post #1 of 11 (583 views)
Shortcut
The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien Can't Post

I was wondering if somebody might be able to help me please? I purchased the aforementioned book yesterday. I am specifically interested in the letters in which Tolkien provides further information regarding Middle Earth, however, the book that I purchased does not separate these letters via chapters, the letters just seem to have been clumped together. I don't particularly have much of an interest in the letters that do not directly relate to Middle Earth. Is it possible to provide me with the letters numbers that relate to said topic perhaps?
Many thanks! Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 3 2014, 3:32pm

Post #2 of 11 (412 views)
Shortcut
Its a great book [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say to go via the Index Emre, and look up the names perhaps of major characters, and follow them through the Letters if you want to read Middle-earth info specifically.
In truth, so many of the letters touch on it in one way or another its hard to say which ones are which. Happy reading!

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2014, 5:20pm

Post #3 of 11 (397 views)
Shortcut
yup, the Index is your friend [In reply to] Can't Post

- and the letters written by Tolkien to Christopher in the early 1940s are especially interesting, as he discusses the writing of LotR.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 3 2014, 5:47pm

Post #4 of 11 (396 views)
Shortcut
So long as it is the second edition [In reply to] Can't Post

The original index was not that helpful, but the index for the second edition produced by Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull is a masterpiece in and of itself. Probably the most helpful index ever produced in the history of mankind (okay, that may be a big hyperbolic, but certainly the most helpful index that I have ever used, with the possible exception the of the combined index for The History of Middle-earth).

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 4 2014, 12:26am

Post #5 of 11 (418 views)
Shortcut
Try this site: [In reply to] Can't Post

FAQ-like guide to the Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien

squire
Half-elven

Jul 4 2014, 1:57am

Post #6 of 11 (356 views)
Shortcut
What an excellent site. // [In reply to] Can't Post

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

emre43
Rohan

Jul 4 2014, 8:58am

Post #7 of 11 (346 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks for everybody's replies [In reply to] Can't Post

And Elizabeth, that is a great site, I will have a good look at it when I get back from work Smile

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 4 2014, 10:43am

Post #8 of 11 (347 views)
Shortcut
absolutely! very good reference [In reply to] Can't Post

Do we have a list of links to this and its like - things which reading Room folks have found most helpful.

If not, happy to start a thread, invite people to post their favourite links...

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 4 2014, 7:58pm

Post #9 of 11 (327 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic resource - thanks Elizabeth! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The next TORn Amateur Symposium is a special edition: the Jubilee TAS to celebrate 60 years of FOTR! If you have an LOTR idea you would like to write about, we'd love to see your writing featured there!

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Jul 5 2014, 9:26pm

Post #10 of 11 (306 views)
Shortcut
The Letters are the Bible [In reply to] Can't Post

to anyone writing nonfiction, scholarly Tolkien essays. The Index will get you anywhere you want to go. What I do when researching is look up the subject I want, jot down all the relevant page numbers, and work from there so you don't have to keep flipping the pages back and forth. Have fun!!

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 5 2014, 10:19pm

Post #11 of 11 (377 views)
Shortcut
While... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I totally understand your focus of interest, I recommend to read the others when you have some spare time though. I also only did that after quite some time of owning the "letters" but really felt like I "got" Tolkien more afterwards :)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.