The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Screencap of the Day: Don't let go

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 3 2014, 12:57am

Post #1 of 6 (6740 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: Don't let go Can't Post

In this section of the Screencap Library (Part 96), there are so many great caps that I wanted to post them all :). Had to limit it somewhere though!

Here are just a few...

"Don’t you let go. Don’t let go."

I was a movie-firster, and had no idea at all what happened at the end of the story. Or what happened during the story either. So I spent the entire film - each of the three films really - completely engrossed, and expecting every other moment for someone to die. It was so gripping. I guess even those who'd read the book couldn't be sure what to expect, whether the films were going to deviate from the book. But as a complete movie-firster, I just had no idea whatsoever.

And so in this scene, when I saw the look on Sam's face, and then saw Frodo:

I really, really thought Frodo was going to let go. I think I may have started crying, because I really thought he was going to give up.

Did you think Frodo was going to give up and let go? And please share whether you were a book-firster or a movie-firster.

"Reach!"

One thing I notice in this sequence is how close up Sam's face is in comparison to Frodo. Sam is right here, right now, and it's as if Frodo is distant, already 'going away'. It's also an interesting contrast to how Gollum's face was shown encompassed by the Ring. Gollum no longer sees anything but the Ring. Maybe when we see Sam here, we are seeing him with Frodo's eyes, and to Frodo, already spent and wanting to give up, he no longer sees anything but Sam.

"I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise! “Don’t you leave him Samwise Gamgee.” And I don’t mean to! I don’t mean to."

What keeps Sam going? Why doesn't he give up, and why doesn't he let Frodo either?

Why do you think Frodo didn't give up?

These two shots contain so much symbolism! What differences do you note between them that show how much each of them has changed since the journey began? And any similarities that show what hasn't changed?

Thanks for visiting SCOD Smile! Any other comments? Please share!

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Jul 3 2014, 1:12am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 3 2014, 1:56pm

Post #2 of 6 (6573 views)
Shortcut
Be you still, be you still, trembling heart! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you think Frodo was going to give up and let go? And please share whether you were a book-firster or a movie-firster.
I’m a movie-firster. I cannot recall the exact thoughts and feelings I had during my first viewing, but I remember it was a very tense moment. “The hero can’t die! Not like this, at least. But the look of hopelessness on his face…”
One thing I notice in this sequence is how close up Sam's face is in comparison to Frodo. Sam is right here, right now, and it's as if Frodo is distant, already 'going away'.
Excellent observation!
It's also an interesting contrast to how Gollum's face was shown encompassed by the Ring. Gollum no longer sees anything but the Ring. Maybe when we see Sam here, we are seeing him with Frodo's eyes, and to Frodo, already spent and wanting to give up, he no longer sees anything but Sam.
Beautifully put! And the Ring leads to Gollum’s demise, while Sam saves Frodo from his. But they choose to let it happen (though on Gollum's case there's, I imagine, nothing left of his own will by then, only the maddening influence the Ring has on him).
What keeps Sam going? Why doesn't he give up, and why doesn't he let Frodo either?
“There is some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.” Sam doesn’t over-complicate things with thinking too much, he just follows his heart. And it’s a strong and good heart full of love for those close to him.
Why do you think Frodo didn't give up?
I believe he didn’t give up because of Sam. He didn’t want to make Sam break his promise not to leave him.
These two shots contain so much symbolism!
Indeed! Nice comparison!
What differences do you note between them that show how much each of them has changed since the journey began? And any similarities that show what hasn't changed?
Well, the tables have turned. First it was Frodo who saved Sam, now it’s the other way around. Sam returns the favour, so to speak. Hadn’t Frodo reached his hand to Sam in the end of FOTR, there wouldn’t have been anyone to pull him back up (had he somehow still reached to Mt. Doom without Sam, which doesn’t seem very likely). What hasn’t changed is their bond, their friendship, their love for one another.
Wonderful choice of screencaps and great questions, Loresilme! Thank you! Smile

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” - Henry David Thoreau

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2014, 1:04am

Post #3 of 6 (6546 views)
Shortcut
Love these shots! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have anything profound to say. And even if I did, I wouldn't have the patience to post it on my phone. Tongue I just wanted to add that to me this scene was even more emotional than Sam's "...I can carry you!". The look of resigned despair on Frodo's face and the anguish on Sam's just tears my heart out.

I'm a book firster and, as wonderful a job as PJ did, some scenes just don't compare to the book. But in this case, I think the film is much more powerful.

As for the clasped hands - there are many shots in these films that mirror others, but, in my very humble opinion, they aren't deliberate. But this pairing definitely seems intended. Beautifully done with the contrasting color palette in addition to the inversion of Frodo's and Sam's grasp. Extremely moving.

Only when we stop stopping our lives can we begin to start starting them. - Prof. Whitman, Community

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jul 4 2014, 1:06am)

Lossefalme
Gondor

Jul 7 2014, 1:13am

Post #4 of 6 (6500 views)
Shortcut
Great choices! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a book-firster, but that didn't lessen the intensity of this moment. I thought it was beautifully done. I always felt that Sam was truly heroic and this was his moment. He would not fail. Your observations about the cinematography are spot-on. PJ definitely got me! I love the symbolism represented by the two shots you chose. There are so many arcs and important themes in Tolkien's writing, and this scene represents so much of that; courage, love and friendship, the triumph of good over evil... Hmmm. I think it's just about time to read LotR again.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. “Elendil!” he cried. “I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil’s son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!” TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: “Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.” RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 10 2014, 8:36pm

Post #5 of 6 (6470 views)
Shortcut
Hey stranger :)! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always felt that Sam was truly heroic and this was his moment. He would not fail.

So true...Frodo "wouldn't have got far" without his Sam Evil.

Nice to see you again, Losse SmileHeartSmile!

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 12 2014, 12:06am

Post #6 of 6 (6532 views)
Shortcut
Even more great ones here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Movie-firster here, too. I remember seeing this in theaters and being pushed more intensely than a film had (and has) ever done. I felt as if I myself was hanging on the precipice with Frodo and Sam, fighting for my life. It was a memorable experience, to say the least.

The side-by-side of the hands is glorious. When watching, it's hard not to believe that this is among the great moments of modern cinema.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.