Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
LOTR Blu-Ray: Which to buy?

Iolo

Jul 2 2014, 4:03pm

Post #1 of 4 (761 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Blu-Ray: Which to buy? Can't Post

I have the extended DVD version of all three LOTR movies. I'm looking to buy Blu-ray "upgrades". Do I buy the 3 movie extended set? Individual copies of the extended version? Steelcase?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2014, 5:22am

Post #2 of 4 (647 views)
Shortcut
I'd just go with whichever is cheaper [In reply to] Can't Post

The content is the same regardless of whether you get the box set or the individual DVDs. Just make sure that you get the five-disc editions if you go with the individual DVDs, assuming you're interested in the documentaries and stuff. Also, in case you don't know already, the bonus features on the Blu-rays are actually on DVDs; only the film itself is in HD. However, the EE Blu-ray includes the three Costa Botes documentaries that were originally released on the Limited Edition DVDs.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 4 2014, 10:52am

Post #3 of 4 (657 views)
Shortcut
What I did [In reply to] Can't Post

I pretty-much got everything as the films were released, then got the box set of the eedvd and the blu-ray eedvd set.

The box sets have the same extras, but the blu ray has the "Behind the scenes" additional discs for a total of 15. The picture and sound of the films are understandably MUCH improved over the regular dvd.

Since the release of these has been a while, you can get the blu ray at a better price either through Amazon or eBay. The fun will be the hunt for this treasure.

Ultimately, it's up to what you want to invest in and enjoy. For me, I'd been saving for these since WAY before they were released... so it was a no-brainer ;) Got 'em both! Along with the theatrical set ;)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 12 2014, 10:37pm

Post #4 of 4 (605 views)
Shortcut
I'm holding onto my DVDs until a 4k format is released [In reply to] Can't Post

1080p is just a middle-stage between formats IMO. Hopefully The Lord of the Rings will be converted into 3D in glorious 4K within the next few years, possibly with some extra scenes or new content, and then it will be worth getting an upgrade.

Until then, I prefer my FotR without a green tint, even if it is unnoticeably blurry.

To answer your question, just get the normal extended box set, that's what my girlfriend has and it's decent enough Smile The steelbooks are exactly the same but needlessly expensive. Unsure

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.